This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

It's handegg season

Comments

• Shouldn't American Football be called vaguely homoerotic ball?
  • Rugby world championships begin soon. My brother in law is from New Zealand. Some shit will be talked. GO TONGA! GO!
    Sadly, they got absolutely smashed by the all blacks, despite a strong start. However, at least it was NZ that smashed them, rather than anyone else, I can still get behind the All Blacks.
  • There is a team named All Blacks???
  • edited September 2011
    There is a team named All Blacks???
    Yep, and they're one of the greatest rugby teams in the world, along with the Wallabies. We have a longstanding rivalry with them, but if one or the other gets knocked out, it's not unusual for the supporters of the knocked-out team to barrack for our trans-Tasman brothers.
    Also famous for doing the Haka -

Post edited by Churba on
  • If that is what rugby is about, clearly I am missing out.
  • edited September 2011
    If that is what rugby is about, clearly I am missing out.
    Here, have a highlight reel of the latest state of Origin match, in which Queensland took our sixth in a row, against Never Seems to Win, or NSW for short.

Side note - If you don't know already, one big difference is that they can't throw it forward, only backward. And roughly as many fights break out as they do in ice hockey.

EDIT - Further Advice, Mute the audio in that video, and put on some music. The voice over guy is kinda annoying.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • Sadly, they got absolutely smashed by the all blacks, despite a strong start.
    I was going to watch the game when it airs tomorrow out here. Oh, well. Spoilers and all that. It's not like I was serious about rooting for Tonga. I just need to root for everyone against NZ. =D
  • Also famous for doing the Haka -
    Holy fucking shit I am watching the wrong sports.
  • True Story:

In nerdy summer camp many of the counselors were from Australia, New Zealand, etc. They had summertime travel-work programs. Free/cheap US vacation if you work at summer camp! It was a sweet deal.

When it came time for the color war or apache relay some of the counselors taught us the All Blacks Haka. At the time we kids didn't know what we were learning. They told us it was an old apache war cry or something and we used it at the start of every event, and then again if we won. I'm pretty sure the true origin is aboriginal. Years later when Internets existed I discovered the truth. I had remembered it so well, ringa pakia! waewae takie! Once I saw that video I was like "those brilliant shitheads!" Because of them I knew an awesome thing without knowing it. I can also impress people from Oceania with my knee-slapping.
  • The Ka Mate haka is Maori. I also had a teacher who taught it to our class, but I was also told by said teacher that if we ever did it in front of a native New Zealander we'd probably get beat up.
  • I was going to watch the game when it airs tomorrow out here. Oh, well. Spoilers and all that. It's not like I was serious about rooting for Tonga. I just need to root for everyone against NZ. =D
    Oh, fuck the end result, that doesn't matter, but it was a brilliant game to watch. I was on my feet a few times, despite not being the biggest rugby watcher.
    Holy fucking shit I am watching the wrong sports.
    We forgive you.
    In nerdy summer camp many of the counselors were from Australia, New Zealand, etc. They had summertime travel-work programs. Free/cheap US vacation if you work at summer camp! It was a sweet deal.
    It is, actually, a friend of mine did Buck Rock's Creative arts camp, and I have a few other friends who have done other camps - You pay for the flight over, you have plenty of free time, you get to hang out in the US for a while, and more often than not, they pay you, too.
    When it came time for the color war or apache relay some of the counselors taught us the All Blacks Haka. At the time we kids didn't know what we were learning. They told us it was an old apache war cry or something and we used it at the start of every event, and then again if we won. I'm pretty sure the true origin is aboriginal. Years later when Internets existed I discovered the truth. I had remembered it so well, ringa pakia! waewae takie! Once I saw that video I was like "those brilliant shitheads!" Because of them I knew an awesome thing without knowing it. I can also impress people from Oceania with my knee-slapping.
    Those clever bastards. I'm impressed already that you still know it, but I will hold you to that. I learned from my maori god-family(long story, I've got a maori god-daughter), so It'd be wicked to see what you've got.
    The Ka Mate haka is Maori. I also had a teacher who taught it to our class, but I was also told by said teacher that if we ever did it in front of a native New Zealander we'd probably get beat up.
    Maybe, if you took the piss, or made a bad effort of it. If you really put your heart into it, I suspect they'd probably rate you rather than beat you, though.
  • edited September 2011
    It is, actually, a friend of mine did Buck Rock's Creative arts camp, and I have a few other friends who have done other camps - You pay for the flight over, you have plenty of free time, you get to hang out in the US for a while, and more often than not, they pay you, too.
    Does the reverse work? I need a reason to go to Australia. Or New Zealand.

EDIT: Well, you know, a reason other than, "perpetually fleeing to exciting places in fear of real life." ~_^
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • Does the reverse work? I need a reason to go to Australia. Or New Zealand.

EDIT: Well, you know, a reason other than, "perpetually fleeing to exciting places in fear of real life." ~_^
    I don't know if it does, we don't really have the summer camp thing as much here. But you can do working holidays, it's not terribly hard.
  • A working holiday is fine. I'm planning my gap year presently, so I'm looking at all my options.
  • A working holiday is fine. I'm planning my gap year presently, so I'm looking at all my options.
    Well, in that case, options are pretty good here - hostels are relatively cheap, it's not hard for a person on a working holiday visa to get a bit of work, and you can work exactly as a citizen would for 6 months total, but you can get another six months by doing particular types of work. Working holiday visas are not hard to get, and we're a friendly bunch. Anything specific you want to know, well, you know who to ask.
  • I forget sometimes that I'm of Pacific Islander decent so I'm somewhat accustomed to seeing things similar to the Haka. I was a bit bemused to seeing several posters here get excited about it, then I realize oh yeah, they probably don't see that stuff growing up.

Still very awesome.
  • So did Roethlisberger think that Ed Reed was on his team for the entire game?
  • Y u make me do dis, Browns?
  • Wow, the Steelers and Colts both got crushed.
  • Wow, the Steelers and Colts both got crushed.
    As they both should.
  • Well, the Colts didn't have Manning, but you would still expect a bit closer game even without Manning. The Steelers are really a surprise though, since they ranked quite high in most preseason power rankings.
  • The Colts didn't fail because they lacked Peyton Manning. They failed because the guy they did have was Kerry Collins. Much like goaltenders in hockey, your team can't win without a great player at the QB position no matter who else you have on your team. There just aren't as many great QBs as there are NFL teams. The result is that every year a bunch of teams will suck big time.

Andrew Luck is going to be a huge draft pick next year if he stays healthy. Cam Newton's performance this year is going to really help him out. After one half of one game, he's looking good.
  • You can win without a great QB, but of the remaining players, the majority must perform at an elite level. Painful case in point for you: Trent Dilfer on the 2000 Baltimore Ravens (or Brad Johnson on the 2003 Bucs). A lot of people also crap on Joe Namath but I was not there to see him play so I tend to reserve judgement on old players.

The moral of the story is that a great QB is worth about half of a team. It's very rare to have both an elite QB and more than a handful of elite supporting players, so if your elite QB goes down, you're not going to be built for Kerry Collins to succeed. You are right that there aren't enough elite QBs to fill the whole league, but if a team plans appropriately from day 1 they can pull off the elusive average QB Superbowl win.

Also, all of you football haters will be glad to know that NBC was showing the USA-Ireland rugby game directly opposite the two 1:00 football games. I switched over a bit when both games became blowouts.
  • Oh, hah, I thought the thread was about football and got confused.
  • Also, all of you football haters will be glad to know that NBC was showing the USA-Ireland rugby game directly opposite the two 1:00 football games. I switched over a bit when both games became blowouts.
    I saw that. Also, I didn't get a CBS game at 4pm since the Jets were the night game. Got the US Open instead.
  • edited September 2011
    Oh, hah, I thought the thread was about football and got confused.
    Oh god no, it's not football, it's mostly about football, but there's also some football, and a bit of football.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • But still the burning question remains: where is the foosball?
  • Fuck yeah, Bears won yesterday, and devastated the Falcons. Good start to the season.
  • Guys. Forget the football.

The tennis is on. Nadal vs Djokovich. US Open Final. It's just awesome. Second set, third game, and this single game has lasted AGES. Multiple runs of over 20 shots.
  • I would go, but most every ticket when I'm not at work is sold out or ludicrous in price. -_-