This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

ICT at school

edited April 2006 in Everything Else
Wow.. I am sat here doing mind numbingly boring 'revision' on stuff i have known since i was 7, for an exam i could have passed when i was 8! AARGHH
If anyone wants to know what mundane tasks I have to cope with, please head to
http://www.teach-ict.com/gcse/hardware/parts/ch2/index.htm

and give me some support ^_^

Comments

• Man, I know exactly what you mean.

A few years ago I was training to be a primary school teacher and had to endure the weeks of lessons on how to use Microsoft Word.

Truth be known, by the third week, I was helping to take the lectures. It was kind of all over for our ICT lecturer when I had to set up his computer for him infront of the class . HA HA HA HA HA!
  • Hehe... owned :D
  • In high school I took two "Computer Science" classes. All we really did in those classes was learn simple Visual Basic as taught by a math teacher. I remember having to teach the rest of the class about the for loop.
  • Our "computer classes" consisted of replicating word documents printed out by the teacher. (I just got an electronic copy from the teacher's Windows share and printed it. He never seemed to question why I was always finished in less than a minute without typing much...)

Thus, computer class was actually 55 minutes of me playing Scorched Earth and Stunts 4D racing.

This was middle school, by the way, and mandatory. As far as I was aware, there were no "computer" classes in my high school worth bothering with.
  • At HFII, I don't think there were. But the programming classes at the Center for Grade destruction were fairly good, or at least it felt that way to me, I suppose Ken will have to give his opinion on it, because they constitute the only programming classes I've taken.
  • edited April 2006
    I'm not sure whether i would be in high school or middle school in the US, but the most advanced thing they offer us in the last year of my school is a very simple visual basic course, and i'm not sure if that is even still running. Hopefully i can take computer science at uni in *Counts on fingers* 4 years.
    :-)

Apart from this its all spreadsheets (Excell) and stuff in word. My damn school won't even let the students use firefox even though i've found it hidden rather deep on the network we're not even supposed to be able to access.. Security is a joke - i was able to run regedit a week ago when they accidently gave all the students admin level accounts. *_*
    Post edited by Farragar on
  • If you're looking to do different stuff on school computers, a LiveCD is your best friend.
  • edited April 2006
    ooohh - i am SO bringing in my ubunto live CD - lol along with my looking glass live CD
    Post edited by Farragar on
  • Bring an elive or kororaa xgl livecd to impress everyone with shiny graphics.
  • hmm, i think they actually only have the mobo's onboard graphics :(
    Not so shiny :P
  • Gah! they have disabled boot from CD and password protected the BIOS setup.
  • edited April 2006
    it's easy to get around a password protected bios. The easiest way is to clear the CMOS. You usually do that by removing the battery or flipping a jumper for a few minutes. Just remember that after you clear the CMOS you lose ALL of your BIOS settings. That means you have to go through the whole BIOS, and make sure everything is properly configured. If you can't reconfigure the BIOS properly, then don't clear the CMOS.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Yeah, i wiped the CMOS for my friend in one of those 'will you fix my computer moments' it worked, but i wouldn't fancy doing it to one of the school computers - it voids the warranty if you take the side panel of, plus i would get completly owned if a teacher saw me doing it.
    :P
  • Oh right, school computers.
  • Lol, what did you think i was talking about?
  • I only looked at the most recent post when I replied. I forgot you were talking about school computers.
  • edited April 2006
    My school only has a Web Design class and "Cisco Systems"(2 years too. Who the hell would need two years to learn how to use cisco?). Plus the security on the systems are shit, people regularly host warez on the server, and getting access to the admin tools is simple.
    Post edited by Ilmarinen on