This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Things of your day

Comments

• Oh hell. This month!!

• All The GOP Anti-Climate Change Arguments And Why They're Wrong

that last line, LOOL

When you're a certain age, and a person is observed to have fundamental knowledge gaps, can we send these people back to school? Can that be made a thing? Mandatory re-education
  • I have never seen anything more true about political talk shows.
    http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=3943
  • I'd avoid the term "re-education"
  • Ikatono said:

I'd avoid the term "re-education"

• Seriously, his Chewie costume is sick as hell.
  • Churba said:

Seriously, his Chewie costume is sick as hell.

• Dazzle369 said:

When you're a certain age, and a person is observed to have fundamental knowledge gaps, can we send these people back to school? Can that be made a thing? Mandatory re-education

• edited December 2015
    Education not a good thing? It's clearly failed some people.
    Post edited by Dazzle369 on
  • As Mark Twain might have said, never let your education get in the way of your learning. I am completely in support of people expanding their knowledge, but there isn't a school on Earth that I trust to do that.
  • Greg said:

As Mark Twain might have said, never let your education get in the way of your learning. I am completely in support of people expanding their knowledge, but there isn't a school on Earth that I trust to do that.

How many people will learn the wrong thing.
    Your statement is a great bumper sticker for home schooling.
  • edited December 2015

Post edited by ThatGent on
  • sK0pe said:

Greg said:

As Mark Twain might have said, never let your education get in the way of your learning. I am completely in support of people expanding their knowledge, but there isn't a school on Earth that I trust to do that.

Given your established hatred for America, I'd think you of all people would see why I'm hesitant to send people to public schools.
  • edited December 2015
    Greg said:

sK0pe said:

Greg said:

Given your established hatred for America, I'd think you of all people would see why I'm hesitant to send people to public schools.
    I wouldn't say I have a "hatred", that seems to be your personal perception.

I'm not in a position to judge the education system over there all I have to go on is what I read on this forum and the rest of the Internet.

I'm sure there are some education institutions which are good, surely there have to be some public schools in the suburbs with high standards?
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • I'm homeschooling my youngest because of shocking incompetence and even malfeasance in our local district. While I'm sure our district isn't necessarily representative, I don't think it's fair to use "homeschoolers" as a derogatory term. There's lots of reasons for home schooling and only one of the craziest ones is well publicized.
  • sK0pe said:

Greg said:

sK0pe said:

Greg said:

I'm sure there are some education institutions which are good, surely there have to be some public schools in the suburbs with high standards?
    I'll elaborate on this when I'm not on mobile, but understand that my fist hand experience was at the most prestigious public school in the country, and almost always listed within the top 10 best public schools in the country. It wasn't universally bad, but if it only goes down from there then I stand by my initial statement.
  • edited December 2015
    I think most public school systems have issues. My elementary school and Jr High were alright but a lot of the classes in HS were a JOKE. Most of the AP classes were pretty good. I think AP calc wasn't the best but AP physics was good. English, History, and Government were really strong. But English and History were also taught by the same teacher.

But the again my Dad said one of the reasons we moved back to the US was because he was concerned with some of the aspects of the school system when we lived in Australia :tongue: .
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited December 2015
    I now have a pressure cooker that doubles as a rice cooker and a milk pasteurizer. It's fucking huge; I could literally fit a head or two inside of it.
    Post edited by Banta on
  • MATATAT said:

Most of the AP classes were pretty good. I think AP calc wasn't the best but AP physics was good. English, History, and Government were really strong. But English and History were also taught by the same teacher.

This is wildly inaccurate. AP Government is a pretty solid curriculum. Does a good job of explaining the system without advocating any policy in particular, which is very difficult. APUSH is simplistic trash, tho. I didn't take the course, but I did the prep work and took the test, so I think I have a good understanding of what is being taught. It asserts a simplistic narrative that doesn't have room for ambiguity. I get that not everyone wants to read the letters Jackson wrote to Madison urging the War of 1812, but there are some subjects you really shouldn't touch unless you're going to teach multiple sides. The epitome of this was on the test a question asked "why do most historians think Harry Truman bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki" as if there's a consensus on that. The test has a section for document analysis essays which is good, but it needs to expand it dramatically.

It's funny, in every science class I took they hammered home the idea that you have a hypothesis, research or observe evidence, and then draw a conclusion from that, but in every science class I took the answers were objective. History is a much more subjective subject and yet that process is largely removed. We present events that are still hotly debated as a single authoritarian narrative, while teaching universally accepted laws by requiring research and evidence. I don't know what that says about us as a people.
  • So are the private schools orders of magnitude better? Do all the competent teachers work at the private schools where I presume they are paid more than in a public school?
  • Greg said:

MATATAT said:

Most of the AP classes were pretty good. I think AP calc wasn't the best but AP physics was good. English, History, and Government were really strong. But English and History were also taught by the same teacher.

This is wildly inaccurate. AP Government is a pretty solid curriculum. Does a good job of explaining the system without advocating any policy in particular, which is very difficult. APUSH is simplistic trash, tho. I didn't take the course, but I did the prep work and took the test, so I think I have a good understanding of what is being taught. It asserts a simplistic narrative that doesn't have room for ambiguity. I get that not everyone wants to read the letters Jackson wrote to Madison urging the War of 1812, but there are some subjects you really shouldn't touch unless you're going to teach multiple sides. The epitome of this was on the test a question asked "why do most historians think Harry Truman bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki" as if there's a consensus on that. The test has a section for document analysis essays which is good, but it needs to expand it dramatically.

It's funny, in every science class I took they hammered home the idea that you have a hypothesis, research or observe evidence, and then draw a conclusion from that, but in every science class I took the answers were objective. History is a much more subjective subject and yet that process is largely removed. We present events that are still hotly debated as a single authoritarian narrative, while teaching universally accepted laws by requiring research and evidence. I don't know what that says about us as a people.
    I can't really speak too much to English and History since I didn't take them. But from what I heard from a friend History was pretty solid. I think what made it better was that the teacher not only taught the required curriculum but went above and beyond. As a result the class was one of the more difficult classes you could take at our high school. Primarily because the workload as well as the amount of information pushed on you.

Again, this is all second hand information, but from a friend that was a more diligent student than I and arguably smarter overall. So I trust it fairly confidently.
  • I really don't want to call my teachers incompetent. My physics 1 teacher had worked in Switzerland on the LHC. My Art History teacher spent 10 years as a curator at the Metropolitan Art Museum in NYC, and several years at a similarly big museum in LA that I've forgotten the name of. My gripes are largely with the State and College Board, as they decide the curriculum that disgusts me the most. I took three courses that were designed separate from either of those entities, and they were the highlights of my education. It's really a systemic issue rather than something to be blamed on individuals.

The disparity between public and private varies wildly. There's a lot of very good very expensive schools that do much better than public schools will. Boston is kind of exceptional because we have a really good teachers union, so compensation isn't a big factor in whether a teacher works for a public or private school. Private schools have a wide range of quality as well. While there are a huge number of well established well off schools for rich kids, there are also a mass of schools struggling to make ends meet despite being for profit. My elementary school was exceptionally poor in comparison to Latin, even though it was private. Where private schools shine is that they're able to pander to niche learning styles. Where a public school is forced into making a one size fits all education, private schools can cater to people who would otherwise struggle with that method.

TL;DR: sometimes, but it's more complicated than that.
  • The "fixed" Batman v. Superman trailer.

• SPOILERS AHEAD!

It's well edited, but they could have still cut out more. The "devil will do it" line, the opening of Zod's bodybag and the shot of Wonder Woman are still unnecessary and would have been better not shown and left as a surprise for the people actually seeing the story unfold in the cinema. The trailer should have just set up "Batman vs. Superman" rather than indicate there will be more and left that as a kind of twist for the moviegoers.
  • edited December 2015
    It was nice of them to cut the movie down so I wouldn't have to go see it. Why did somebody ruin that?
    Post edited by open_sketchbook on