This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

SM57 vs. SM58

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
I was browsing the GeekNights equipment list in order to help myself make a decision on the purchase of a microphone. Scrym uses the SM57 as opposed to the SM58. The SM58, if you are not aware, is the standard microphone you will encounter at most live events. When you think of what a microphone looks like, the 58 is the picture that pops into your head.

My question is mostly directed at Rym and Scott, but if anyone else should be knowledgeable on the subject I welcome you to answer this question. The price difference between the 57 and the 58 are pennies and both are standard picks for vocals. So, what is the advantage of picking the 57 over the 58 for use in podcasting?

Comments

• edited September 2007
    SM57 + integrated Pop filter/wind screen = SM58. They're the same microphone.

Rym uses his own homemade pop filter, and there's no wind in their room when they're recording. I don't think Scott is using a pop filter (some people don't need them too much). Live events are a different situation.

In using the SM58, I've found that the wind screen/pop filter (really a metal ball with a layer of foam in it) dents extremely easily. If you drop it, it's dented. A bit annoying. Also, like most handhelds, you need good microphone discipline with it.
    Post edited by RedShirt on

• In using the SM58, I've found that the wind screen/pop filter (really a metal ball with a layer of foam in it) dents extremely easily. If you drop it, it's dented. A bit annoying. Also, like most handhelds, you need good microphone discipline with it.
    It's supposed to dent. The screen is replaceable, and a dent will not impact functionality in any noticeable way. The SM58 is regarded as one of the most durable microphones in existence. This is why it is often used for live stage performances. The vocalists can beat the hell out of it without breaking it.
  • For a while now, Scott has been using a Beta 58A, and I've been using a Beta 87A. We're currently preparing to buy a pair of Countryman E6s.
  • Get whichever mic will best accentuate the sound of you opening and closing your mouth. Thats what people really want to hear in a podcast: some good lip smacking.
  • Well there are the ASMR types... ;^)
  • Rym said:

For a while now, Scott has been using a Beta 58A, and I've been using a Beta 87A. We're currently preparing to buy a pair of Countryman E6s.

That's what we use quite often for wired mics when we're out on sound gigs. Tough little bastards, and great sounding. We've also got a set of various Betas from across the range that we use to mic up drums, they're fucking great.
  • It was a different time you understand. SM57, or 58.
  • My SM57 is still going strong.
  • My SM57 is still going strong.

It will become a prized family heirloom. It can outlive your grandchildren with ease.