This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Problems with files DLed with uTorrent

Okay, so I snagged uTorrent to get some of the anime that's being talked about. Everything goes fine with installation, I set up my router for port forwarding, etc. Everything seems to be going fine. A day of leaving uTorrent on and I have much of Mushishi, some Nana, and some Violinist of Hamelin.

However, I have an issue that happens without fail every time I select (single click) on ANY video file downloaded to completion and remved from the uTorrent cue (even those that are still being uploaded in the cue cause the same issue). Explorer immediately says it crashed and pops up the error reporting message, then any open folders close out and the desktop resets. If I open DivX or Windows Media Player and try to open the files that way, they crash out immediately. It is impossible to double click on any video file, or highlight multiple files, or right-click on any file since the explorer window immediately bottoms out each time.

Anyone know what could be causing this? I doubt it has anything to do with my router, my HD is working fine and has no bad sectors, and I highly doubt that every single torrent is corrupt.

And if anyone says "Just use Linux" you get a smack.

Comments

• I have no idea. Try using the normal bittorrent client or Azureus?
  • If you don't want to uses another bittorrent client then I suggest copy/pasting the error message into google. See what you get.
  • The problem may be your system and not the torrents themselves. I don't want to be the guy who says "use Linux," so... Buy a Mac. ^_~

Any Windows box that has ever had a malware infection is basically suspect and needs to be re-installed.
  • I'm using utorrent to and I'm not having any problems that you have with it. I even watched videos that were still being shared (uploaded).

Just as balt says, do a search on the error message.
  • Okay, as soon as the files are done downloading, copy and paste them onto your desktop before you remove them from uTorrent. Then make sure you have the proper plugins to play the video files you have. See what file type they are or what .avi compression they use.
  • I used to use uTorrent. Azureus is much better. The official client is crap.
  • The official client is crap.

What do you mean Trogdor?
  • What's wrong with the official client? It works great for me. I can't see any reason to use a different client other than "cheating" the bittorrent system.
  • The official client is quite useless to me, unless it's changed dramatically since I last used it. It doesn't seem to work for me.
  • edited April 2006
    I didn't like the official client either. Only 3 DLs at a time? WTF?

I'm going to try updating the codecs, since I got the same reccomendation on another board. I'll get back to you with results.

As far as copying and pasting the error, Windows gives me that bullshit "Explorer has crashed, oh noes!" message and doesn't actually tell me WHY. "Unknown error" and such.

EDIT: DLed new DivX, XviD and WMP codecs. Problem fixed entirely.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Only 3 DLs at a time? I don't know what you're doing but I can download an infinite number of torrents at the same time using the official client.
  • I use utorrent (as opposed to the others) because it has a better looking interface.
  • A question to those who use Azureus: does the program's log of your share ratio affect how fast you get a torrent, or is each torrent figured independently?

And Scott, I've used a variety of different controls for Bittorrent, and have to agree with the thrust of Trogdor's argument, if not his reasoning. The default client is simple, but not as robust a tool.
  • The share ratio never effects how fast you download. It is the total amount of data uploaded divided by downloaded.
  • Okay, I just thought that had some kind of bearing on how fast you got to download the file. I have some understanding of bittorrent, but it's nowhere near complete. It is, of course, simpler then I think it is.
  • I have the problem where when I click things in explorer it crashes. For me, the problem is that windows is trying to load the avi in that stupid panel on the side and because it doesn't know what its doing, it crashes.

When you say that it crashes your media players, it seems like a codec issue, which COULD account for the explorer stuff up. CCCP is a codec pack that is designed to work with what the fansubbing groups make.

Also, have you used mplayer? Its a linux program that has a windows port. If THAT crashes, I don't know what the problem is :P . mplayer is good at playing anything. The problem is that it doesn't do it well. I only use it to see if a file actually works and its the players fault and when the other players fail.
  • mplayer doesn't do it well? mplayer plays all types of media files better than just about anything else out there. It's fantastic. VLC is a a close second, but it has some issues.
  • I love mplayer. Just last night Lisa and I were watching a DVD. 5 minutes before the end, my dvd player practically locks up. The DVD surface looks clean, it just didn't like the bitstream. Threw it in my laptop and the native DVD player does the same thing. Mplayer saves the day and plays it without so much as a hiccup.

I have yet to meet a video file that mplayer doesn't handle better then all other native players.
  • I admit it handles all video types well, but it isn't flawless. I've had plenty of times where I got weirdness in video from mplayer but not in other things.