This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Traffic Court Advice

Okay, so several weeks ago, I got pulled over at a side road near my home while doing nothing inparticular. There were two officers looking at every car that went by this two-lane road in both directions. They stopped me and wrote me a ticket for having an expired inspection sticker. The officer was pretty cool about it, saying if I had it inspected that weekend, I could just plead 'not guilty' and send in the ticket with the copy of the inspection. I did.

A week or so ago, I got a notice of a court date for the traffic court. So I gather all my information together, and I figure I'll go in and simply tell the judge exactly what the officer told me. I'm actually surprised they bothered to set a date and to call me up in the first place.

I just don't want to get fined. Any advice?

Comments

• Well as long as your car is inspected now you'll most likely get off fine. From my experience with traffic court it helps to dress yourself in a job interview sort of way, so you look nice but not overboard, a lot of people show up looking like they just spent half an hour rolling around in something disgusting. And be friendly and polite to the judge while still showing respect. I don't know about everywhere but in Jersey you talk to a prosecutor first so make sure to be nice to them too. I got out of a two hundred dollar, 4 point speeding ticket just by being friendly and respectful to them both since everyone else was miserable and rude like it's the judges fault they were stupid and got pulled over doing 70 in a school zone without wearing a seatbelt while talking on their cell phone.
  • A week or so ago, I got a notice of a court date for the traffic court. So I gather all my information together, and I figure I'll go in and simply tell the judge exactly what the officer told me. I'm actually surprised they bothered to set a date and to call me up in the first place.The same thing happened to me with a busted headlight.  The officer wrote me a ticket, and told me to mail it in, with the same advice.  I haven't yet heard back, so I assume it's settled.
    I'd say show up and make the case that you hardly ever drive the car, and it had simply slipped your mind.  It wasn't very far past the expiration date at all, and you corrected it IMMEDIATLY after the officer pointed it out, following his advice.  I'll bet the officer won't even bother showing up to the trial.
    At least, no matter what the court does, it wouldn't be a moving violation, and the fine is pretty small for an expired inspection.  Worst-case scenario: you get zero points and pay a small fine.  It can only get better from there.
  • edited September 2007
    Keep a spare bulb in your trunk or something if you fix it after you get pulled over before the ticket is written you can get in no trouble and it will save you the hassle of dealing with a ticket at all.
    Post edited by Chris on
  • a lot of people show up looking like they just spent half an hour rolling around in something disgusting.I just don't get that, despite having had similar experiences.  Are these people just so dim that they don't think to spiffen up a tad before a court date?  What's the deal?
    My favourite was way back when I showed up to fight a bogus $12 parking ticket.  There's a bar/rail in front of the judge's desk, and you're supposed to stand in front of it.  There is a sign, very large, on the front of this stating "DO NOT LEAN ON RAIL." in large type.  On top of the rail, there is another sign stating the same thing.
    On average, a good 2/3 of the people pleading cases leaned heavily on it.  Every time someone did, the judge would raise an eyebrow, but not say a word.  A few times, he'd glance sidelong at the bailiff, who just smiled.  One dude leaned wide, his hands perfectly framing the upper sign, and even leaned OVER the rail toward the judge.  Again, just the eyebrow.
    No one who leaned on that rail was found innocent.  No one who did not lean on that rail was found guilty.
    I consider that a fair test.
  • Why wait to show up? Call the officer and see if you can get it worked out beforehand. It's entirely likely that there was an oversight.
  • Good luck, but it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about.
  • Inspection sticker?
  • Inspection sticker?
    I asked the same question when I first moved to New York.  Some states in the US require annual or semi-annual vehicle inspections for car owners.
  • v_v That sucks.
  • v_v That sucks.
    No, it's awesome. Every state seems to realize that dangerous drivers should be kept off the road. Even though their systems for removing dangerous drivers from the road are far from perfect, and usually ineffective, they seem to at least agree that it is a good idea.

Apparently though, only a few states, like New York, seem to realize that it is in the best interest of people to keep dangerous vehicles off the road as well. The New York system for doing so, while also not perfect, kind of works. If your car is dangerous, odds are they won't let you drive it. Keep shitty cars off the road I say.
  • A nice side effect of the vehicle inspection laws in New York is that you can get a fairly comprehensive safety inspection by any qualified mechanic for very little money, as the prices of inspections are mandated by the state.  No negotiation, no shopping around, no hourly billing: just a flat fee.
    The inspection system really only hurts people driving dangerous vehicles who cannot afford to repair them.
  • We have them in PA, too. My sister lives in Florida and when she drove home to visit for a few weeks she had to get her car inspected (probably because she has a PA plate).
  • I asked the same question when I first moved to New York. Some states in the US require annual or semi-annual vehicle inspections for car owners.
    Wait. There are states that DON'T have inspection stickers?
  • I asked the same question when I first moved to New York. Some states in the US require annual or semi-annual vehicle inspections for car owners.
    Scarily, most do not have them.
  • A week or so ago, I got a notice of a court date for the traffic court. So I gather all my information together, and I figure I'll go in and simply tell the judge exactly what the officer told me. I'm actually surprised they bothered to set a date and to call me up in the first place.

I just don't want to get fined. Any advice?
    Before you go, call the traffic clerks. They might be able to fix it up for you over the phone.

If your state is anything like KY, TN, IN, or MD, your charge should be dismissed upon a showing of your current inspection. If you're in VA, then I don't know what to tell you. VA has some nasty traffic laws.
  • When you don't have the number of cars on the road, the safety of the car (to others at least) is less of an issue. If I'm driving down the road 15 minutes out of my town and my muffler falls off, t'll be ten minutes before another person comes across the scene. I'll have plenty of time to stop and get everything taken care of.

If the same thing happens on a bridge in NYC it'd wreak havoc for hours!
  • I'll admit, I balked when I first moved to New York.  After all, New York does a lot of crazy things compared to where I grew up.  Paying MONEY to drive on a road?!?  Gubbmint inspection of my car!?!  No left turn on red!!?  Registration STUCK TO THE WINDSHIELD??!  Madness.
    Tolls I got used to.  Inspections I realized were actually pretty nice.  The registration thing is silly, but I see the purpose.  Left turn on red doesn't make sense when you don't really have properly divided highways.
    In truth, had New York not forced me to get my car inspected, I wouldn't likely have realized that my front right control arm bushing was shot until it was too late.

• If the same thing happens on a bridge in NYC it'd wreak havoc for hours!
    Speaking of which, my muffler of my old crap car fell off on the Newburgh/Beacon bridge when I was driving home from Rochester to CT. This was before I even fully realized Beacon was a city.
    Scarily,mostdo not have them.
    Ouch. I know here in Massachuetts, it's a big thing. Towards the end of every month, garages get packed with last-minute inspections.
  • When you don't have the number of cars on the road, the safety of the car (to others at least) is less of an issue.The number of cars on the road in southeast Michigan/Northern Ohio/Ontario is STAGGERING.  I remember Scott being bothered by the fact that I-696, which was visible from our hotel room at Penguicon, had more traffic on it than the busiest parts of the New York State Thruway nonstop 24/7.
    There are crazy numbers of cars about, and yet no vehicle inspections.  It's not really a matter of car density. ^_~
  • When you don't have the number of cars on the road, the safety of the car (to others at least) is less of an issue.
    The number of cars on the road in southeast Michigan/Northern Ohio/Ontario is STAGGERING. I remember Scott being bothered by the fact that I-696, which was visible from our hotel room at Penguicon, had more traffic on it than the busiest parts of the New York State Thruway nonstop 24/7.

There are crazy numbers of cars about, and yet no vehicle inspections. It's not really a matter of car density. ^_~

I'm just saying it should be a matter of traffic density.
    If the same thing happens on a bridge in NYC it'd wreak havoc for hours!
    Speaking of which, my muffler of my old crap car fell off on the Newburgh/Beacon bridge when I was driving home from Rochester to CT. This was before I even fully realized Beacon was a city.
    Did it wreak havoc? Did you make the news? HAha.
  • No left turn on red!!?
    Mothers, keep your children off Rym's sidewalks.
  • Paying MONEY to drive on a road?!?
    Tolls can suck it. Hard.
  • RymRym
    edited September 2007
    No left turn on red!!?Mothers, keep your children off Rym's sidewalks.
    It's not as crazy as it sounds.  Many major roads out there are divided with large turnarounds in the center.  Instead of turning left, you go past the street, turn around, and then turn right, or else turn right, then turnaround and go straight.  These turnarounds are sometimes controlled by traffic lights.  Since it's essentially a one-way street intersecting a one-way street, the same rules for turning right on red apply to turning left. 
    There are also the blinking reds.  At any non-divided intersection, the left turn red light will often blink at certain times.  This means that you can turn left on red after a complete stop.  The timing of this is pretty standard, and you can navigate many intersections without even looking at the lights themselves.
    I got pulled over once for doing it in Rochester.  The cop totally let me off after we discussed for a while what I'd done wrong.  I'm sure it helped that I still had a Michigan plate and Michigan driver's license.

Cop: Do you know why I pulled you over?
    Rym: Err, no.  Is my taillight out or something?
    Cop: What did you do just now?
    Rym: I stopped, turned left on red, and continued.
    Cop: Which is why I pulled you over.
    Rym: Eh?  What's wrong with that?  I came to a complete stop.
    Cop: Michigan is pretty messed up.  Don't do it again.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Well you're supposed to treat blinking red lights as stop signs, does NY not allow you to turn left in those circumstances?
  • does NY not allow you to turn left in those circumstances?
    The lights here almost never blink.  Instead, you just get the green light and have to fight past the oncoming traffic, unless you're lucky enough to have a green arrow (most intersections don't).
  • edited September 2007
    Left turn on red doesn't make sense when you don't really have properly divided highways.
    I think in VA it's only legal to pull a left turn on red when turning on a one way road.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Cops are coming down on the stickers here in Austin, TX (from what I know of). Also, in my mind, Left turn on red sounds dangerous. Maybe Its because I'm thinking of a busy intersection...
  • I'm not sure if it was just the PA prices or the fact that the car was from jersey, but me and my friend got a ticket in his car for having an expired inspection sticker and it was extremely expensive for a little sticker.
  • UPDATE: No fines, no points, but I'll post the amusing story of some guy trying to represent himself at the courtroom later in another thread.