This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

If anywhere, then where?

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
If you could live anywhere, where would you live? Where would you live in the U.S.? Where would you live outside of it? (considering all the things you would normally when deciding to move)

Also, if all factors were in a vacuum (family, jobs, money, etc.), where would you choose?

When it's time for me to move out of the nest (when I finish schooling it up), I know I definitely want to move far away (I don't care much for family, as bad as that sounds). If I stay in the U.S., I'm considering the big cities, like LA, NYC, maybe Austin. I wouldn't mind moving out of the country, either. I don't know where, though, probably somewhere that isn't 80 percent Christian.

Comments

• I'd still live here. Boston for the win.
  • I think San Francisco is a really good place to be.  I really like this city.  Outside of here, though, I don't think I've experienced enough of the world to really say where else I would live, you know?  Like, a lot of places I might say - Paris or London, for example - I've only been once.
  • NYC or LA. A place that lives 24/7. Then once I got older I'd move (if I wanted) to a quieter place. As for outside the US... Australia is too hot. BritainAlbian (how is this spelled?) is too... *shudder* just don't like it, even though it has some amazing views. France, Spain, Italy, Germany, Russia => Don't speak the language, neither want to learn it. Same goes for the rest of the European languages where they don't speak English or Dutch. Netherlands => No thanks, only thing I want to keep is drop (Licorice. Only awesome) but I'll import that or something. Japan, sadly don't speak the language. Though, with study that can change, right? Right?

I really don't know where outside the US I would like to have a house. I would travel to all those places. Though I'd just be all touristy with a crappy basic sentences guide book asking the locals if they can speak English (or Dutch).
  • I'd choose NYC for sure. I'm planning on transferring to a 4 year art school there or close to there. I like D.C and all, but I like going someplace new. I want to try a place on my own and learn how to be on my own.

Plus there's more cool stuff to do rather than here. Plus I could meet new people and try new things.

The only problem I see is their Metro system (What is it called there?) is complicated and huge. D.C's Metro system is smaller, easier and color coded. When I went to visit NYC I would of gotten lost without my bro or ex. bf.
  • New York's public transit is super easy. There's a lot of trains, but the information is readily available everywhere and easy to read.

If I could live anywhere, I'd live in Philly.

How convenient, I'm already here. :D
  • Philly is my second choice, but only for college. I don't know much about Philly. Is it cool?

NYC's metro looks intimidating. Maybe it's because I never really looked at it. Or it might be because it's different and I don't go there often enough. This is DC's in comparison Sometimes I think it's weird that tourists and newcomers think ours is hard. Now I understand when I think of NYC's map.

• NYC's metro looks intimidating.Maybe it's because I never really looked at it. Or it might be because it's different and I don't go there often enough.This is DC's in comparisonSometimes I think it's weird that tourists and newcomers think ours is hard. Now I understand when I think of NYC's map.
    Psh, those pale in comparison to ATL's

• I haven't been to Philly before, but I should probably check out PA's only other city.
  • A tropical island in a mansion with an airport, a harbor, a super fast Internet connection, and defense against natural and unnatural disasters. Think The Man With the Golden Gun.
  • Philly is my second choice, but only for college. I don't know much about Philly. Is it cool?
    It's better than New York in that Philly's big enough to find stuff to do without feeling like you're surrounded by people every second of every day in everywhere you go

Of course, in Philly you can't buy beer on Sundays, usually you can't buy it after 9 pm, you can't buy six packs where you buy cases (And vice-versa), you can't buy spirits where you buy beer, and you can't buy beer in convenience stores/most delis/supermarkets (almost exclusively alcohol is sold in its own stores, with shitty hours).

That's the worst thing about Philly.

Aside from, what, second highest murder rate in the country?
    I haven't been to Philly before, but I should probably check out PA's only city.
    Fixed that for you. Pittsburgh isn't a city. It's a post-industrial revolution wasteland that people still seem to think is worth inhabiting.
  • Of course, in Philly you can't buy beer on Sundays, usually you can't buy it after 9 pm, you can't buy six packs where you buy cases (And vice-versa), you can't buy spirits where you buy beer, and you can't buy beer in convenience stores/most delis/supermarkets (almost exclusively alcohol is sold in its own stores, with shitty hours).
    That extends to the whole state (actually, I think they might have changed it), blame the Quakers.
    Fixed that for you. Pittsburgh isn't a city. It's a post-industrial revolution wasteland that people still seem to think is worth inhabiting.
    Ah, a road trip shall ensue. How far exactly is this place, anyhow?
  • It's better than New York in that Philly's big enough to find stuff to do without feeling like you're surrounded by people every second of every day in everywhere you go
    Heh..  You've gotta get out of Manhattan.  There's a lot more to NYC than the island, and the rest of it isn't quite as claustrophobic.  Come up to Beacon or the Bronx sometime. ^_~
  • I spend most of my time in Brooklyn, and on the more crowded streets I still get all claustrophobic. Manhattan is another story entirely. Too many people, too little space. I would never go there without a specific reason.
    Ah, a road trip shall ensue. How far exactly is this place, anyhow?
    From Pittsburgh? Like four hours or so? Consider it your drive towards freedom.
  • I like living here in Austin. I don't really take full advantage of everything here like the live music, cool museums, and awesome lectures at UT, but I still enjoy it. I bet once I'm older I'll appreciate it more.
  • I love how people who "live in NYC" talk about the other boroughs. It's like Brooklyn and Manhattan are different countries. If I could live anywhere in the states right now I think I'd lean towards the NE or NW. I love Boston and San Fransisco both, but Seattle is nice too. I don't anticipate moving out there any time soon of course but you never know.

Outside of the country I would like in Austria I think. Maybe northern Italy. I just love the country there and quite possible some of the nicest, coolest people I've ever met. If I'm leaving the country in a hurry it'll be Canada.
  • It's like Brooklyn and Manhattan are different countries
    Brooklyn used to be an entirely separate city. Brooklyn on its own is big enough to be one of the biggest cities in the entire country. NYC is so big and different that the Bronx and Queens can both on their own support major league baseball teams. Brooklyn used to have one, and people still want it to have one again.
  • I like living here in Austin. I don't really take full advantage of everything here like the live music, cool museums, and awesome lectures at UT, but I still enjoy it. I bet once I'm older I'll appreciate it more.
    Austin and Madison are pretty similar. Just put a - in front of your temperature in the winter.
  • RymRym
    edited September 2007
    I love how people who "live in NYC" talk about the other boroughs. It's like Brooklyn and Manhattan are different countries.
    Brooklyn was a city entirely on its own until 1900 or so, when it merged with NYC.  In fact, Brooklyn by itself is the third most populus city in the United States.
    The Bronx, were it a city, is the sixth most populus city in the US.  Queens is the third largest (fourth if you count Brooklyn).  Hell, even Manhattan, NOT counting the weekday population, is the fifth largest city in the entire country.  Even Staten Island, way out there, is the 41st largest city if taken as such.
    Each of the boroughs is a major city in its own right.  They're all distinct, both culturally and economically.  Going to Brooklyn is verymuch like going to a different city: it has a whole different character.  Queens is much more green and suburban than you'd expect.  The Bronx is, well, The Bronx. You can really consider them seperate cities.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited September 2007
    I live in an absurdly cold area. I find that my tolerance for cold winters is diminishing over time. It's not the winter that I mind - it's the incredibly short summer. June usually has a ton of rain. So really that leaves you July and August. By the end of August, the nights are very chilly.

Therefore, cities like Seattle, Minneapolis, Chicago and Boston are not terribly attractive to me due to their climate. (Assuming I was a city person.) A New York winter really isn't too bad - but New York is such a freaking madhouse. If I were in my 20's, and had to live in a large city, my preference would be Washington, DC. Why?
    1) There is a ton of green-space.
    2) There is no industry.
    3) There are a ton of young people from all parts of the country.
    4) All sorts of cool things are free.

The downside is the traffic. It's a nightmare. But isn't that true for pretty much any city?

Climate aside, I LOVE Vermont. I live in a gorgeous rural area, but I'm not far from Montreal (2.25 hrs) and Boston (3 hrs). I can ski on one day and be at the ocean the next. There are many places out west that I love, but you have to drive for hours to get to a place that is different. In New England, a drive of 2 or 3 hours will take you to almost anything you could imagine.

The most over-rated city in the US?:
    Denver. It's in the plains, people! It's not in the mountains! See those beautiful mountains in the distance? Guess what, you don't live there! It's way too big to have a "mountain" feel to it - even if you did think that it was in the mountains.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
    Brooklyn used to be an entirely separate city. Brooklyn on its own is big enough to be one of the biggest cities in the entire country. NYC is so big and different that the Bronx and Queens can both on their own support major league baseball teams. Brooklyn used to have one, and people still want it to have one again.
    That's what I mean! The NYC area is awesome simply because it 'densely different'. You cross a river and you're in a totally different place with entirely different people.
    That's what I mean! The NYC area is awesome simply because it 'densely different'. You cross a river and you're in a totally different place with entirely different people.
    This fact makes me want to go more.
  • This fact makes me want to go more.
    Um, go! It's one of the most culturally diverse places you can go in the US and if you live here, you should spend a week in NYC. I recommend going to more than one borough though. Last time I went we spend two days in Queens (by LGA) which was an experience in-and-of-itself.
  • Of course! I want to explore everything. I love new places and exploring. I definitely want to go art college there.
  • I was a military brat and was fortunate to live in many areas such as Germany and various states around the US. I was fairly young, but I still remember living in certain areas. I've been living in Washington for going on 18 years. I love Washington and can't see myself living anywhere else.

I am mostly here because I want to be close to family, however I really enjoy Washington, mainly the Puget Sound area (Seattle, Tacoma, Olympia). For my anime fix I have Sakura Con, for my video game fix, there is PAX. I love the fact that the new place where I live (Kent) has more Indian restaurants than I could possibly ask for, along with other varieties of food from around the world. Seattle, like many large cities has its International District, so whenever I'm in the mood to bulk up on my Japanese/Asian candies/sweets, I go there, along with going to Kinokuniya to stock up on manga.

I am also close enough to go visit Vancouver or Victoria, BC for shits and giggles because going to Canada is always fun. Also, Washington is a beautiful place to live in. Sure, we have volcanoes, however seeing Mt. Rainier on a clear day, on my commute is always something you can't help but cherish and not take for granted. Many people can't handle the how much it rains here, and in my honest opinion, I really don't notice it that much. I've probably gotten so used to it, I don't let it bother me. The summers are very beautiful and not too hot.

So all in all, Washington + me = happy.
  • If I had to live in the U.S. I would choose Alaska. Outside...Sweden for sure! No doubt in my mind at all.
  • edited September 2007
    I'm fine living where I am. I live on the edge of Yonkers, just outside of Riverdale. It's trivial for me to get into the city from where I am, so I can still go and enjoy the benefits of Manhattan whenever I want, without all the clutter of living in a metropolis.
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • If I had to choose a US city that I've been to before, it would be a tie between Chicago and DC. While Chicago has the cold winter, it would be a nice change for me since it has never snowed here, ever. DC on the other side has all the advantages of being the capital of the US, which makes it a great city just for that, plus it is not that far from New York making it easy go visit a lot.
    If I had to pick a US city I don't know and just based on stuff I heard it would probably be San Francisco.
    Outside of the US (and México), I would probably choose Sydney.

Austin and Madison are pretty similar. Just put a - in front of your temperature in the winter.
    I gotta move there, then. I love the cold!