This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Emulators and Roms

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
Hey everyone. I've been playing Super Mario Bros. a lot on my Super Nintendo (All-stars), but I want to play the original NES version. I've got the NESTen Emulator, but I need a Rom for Super Mario. Anybody have one or know where one is?

Comments

• Have you tried Google?
  • Yeah, I couldn't find anything that actually worked.
  • This isn't really a good place to ask that.
  • Virtual Console
  • Google if you must, but I agree with Scott. Give Nintendo the money and you get a perfect copy.
  • Virtual console is a bit much if you don't already own a Wii
    There are large rom packs available on bittorent. Just use a client that supports individual file downloading and pick the ones you want.
  • Just use a client that supports individual file downloading and pick the ones you want.
    Aye. µTorrent is great for that. Just find a torrent which doesn't have all the games crammed into one rar archive. Look for the rom lists. Basically they're just lists with all the games out there on ROMs with it's number. Just look for a torrent with that number. Or search for [gamename].[rom file extension] in Google.
  • You can play NES games online. Good to kill time.
  • See, I would use Virtual Console, but I want the ORIGINAL hardware. All the glitches, being able to jump over the pirana plants even if they are touching me. I want this because I'm leraning to do it with a speed run, and I've come to the point where doing that affects me.
  • If you're looking for hardware, eBay is always good for used consoles.
  • See, I would use Virtual Console, but I want the ORIGINAL hardware. All the glitches, being able to jump over the pirana plants even if they are touching me. I want this because I'm leraning to do it with a speed run, and I've come to the point where doing that affects me.
    The virtual console is identical to the original hardware, only it works. Also, you have a different controller, but the same controls.
  • Rym/Scott, you guys have mentioned several times over the past few episodes that you've been researching emulators for your panels, and that you've found newer ones superior to the old standards. As someone still using Nesticle and ZSNES, what should I go download?
  • edited August 2011
    Rym/Scott, you guys have mentioned several times over the past few episodes that you've been researching emulators for your panels, and that you've found newer ones superior to the old standards. As someone still using Nesticle and ZSNES, what should I go download?
    Well, we were specifically discussing bSNES. bSNES is an emulator that tries to be as accurate as possible. However, being so accurate requires an insane amount of computing power. The result is that it's not actually a usable emulator if you actually want to play games. Here are the best emulators I have found.

Good Emulators
    NEStopia for NES
    SNES9x for SNES
    ePSXe for PlayStation
    MAME, obviously
    Visual Boy Advance for GB, GBA, GBC.
    Stella for Atari

Emulators that suck, but I can't find anything better
    GENs for Genesis
    Project 64 for N64

Anyone else know of any good ones?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • GENs for Genesis
    Fusion's pretty good, that's what I used for a while.
  • GENs for Genesis
    I'll try it when I get home. Does it do Sega CD and 32X?
  • GENs for Genesis
    I'll try it when I get home. Does it do Sega CD and 32X?
    I'm pretty sure?
    Fake edit:
    Fusion is a Sega SG1000, SC3000, SF7000, Master System, Game Gear, Genesis/Megadrive, SVP, Pico, SegaCD/MegaCD and 32X emulator for Win9x/ME/2000/XP/Vista/Win7, Mac OSX(Intel), and Linux
  • Nice! Master System and Game Gear! I'm mostly interested in the CD/32X so I can play Virtua Racing. People don't respect Virtua Racing enough. IMHO it was one of the first playable actual racing games. It invented force feedback in the arcade version. It was also perhaps the first racing game with actual 3D graphics, and one of the first 3D games period. GT and Forza owe everything they have to Virtua Racing.
  • Emulators that suck, but I can't find anything better
    Project 64 for N64
    I've only used it a bit, but I didn't have any problems with Project64. What are your issues with it?
  • I've only used it a bit, but I didn't have any problems with Project64. What are your issues with it?
    UI sucks.
  • UI sucks.
    Who cares? Unless it is painfully broken, the UI of an emulator is the thing I care least about.
  • Who cares? Unless it is painfully broken, the UI of an emulator is the thing I care least about.
    It is very important. Not what it looks like, but how frustrating it is to get going. For example, GENs can fuck with your desktop because its full screen is not implemented properly. Some emulators it is a pain in the ass to configure the joystick compared to NEStopia where you just click "set all" and then push every button on the gamepad just once. Other emulators, it's not the design of the UI, but the UI is flaky. It will be slow to open menus, or there will be graphical glitches in the menus and dialogs and such. Or it will just flip out in general.
  • I agree many of the things you listed would be annoying and would make me think an emulator sucked, but I didn't experience any of those with Project64. Fullscreen works well and is toggled by esc, and seeing up controller profiles is pretty easy. Admittedly there is no "set all" but you configuring each button individually isn't such a big deal when you only need to do it once. And I almost never go into the menus. I just linked it with my N64 ROM directory and leave it alone.
  • I'll have to check out GENs. I've been using DEGA for my Genesis/Game Gear/Master System needs. Don't know if it does Sega CD/32x, but this is an emulator that's never given me any problems. Don't know how it stacks up though as it's the only one I've used.
  • Dolphin for Gamecube and Wii emulation. I've played a few Gamecube games on it and it works quite well, although I haven't found a USB Gamecube controller yet.
  • edited August 2011
    Dolphin for Gamecube and Wii emulation
    What games actually worked for you? I had a lot of trouble with this.

Edit - Also, you can just use an Xbox 360 controller - It's functionally the same as the Gamecube controller. The only difference is the arrangement of the A, B, X, and Z buttons.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • I've been using a XBox 360 controller, and it certainly works but lacks... something.

So far I've gotten Bomberman and Wind Waker to work. What sort of troubles are you having?
  • I've found that between XBox controller and fight stick there is very little I can't play nicely in an emulator. My major problem is N64 games actually. There is no good way to do the c-buttons.
  • What sort of troubles are you having?
    Uselessly low framerates, mostly. The games I tried (can't remember which ones at the moment) were unplayable.
  • I had incredibly low framerates when I tried it on my HTPC (which is powered with an Atom processor/iON graphics chip). I've been using my gaming PC (quad-core, high end graphics card) for it and get fine results, although there is a little audio stuttering I'm trying to work on. I get the feeling it just takes a good amount of horsepower.
  • XBox controller
    As much as I love my 360 controller, the D-pad sucks balls, and that makes playing NES and SNES games a pain in the ass.