This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Geforce 6200 PCI - Help

edited September 2007 in Technology
I have a Geforce 6200 made by 3DFuzion (Best Link I Could Find). I found it on Newegg for $30 on sale, and considering I have an old Dell Dimension 2350, I can't use anything AGP or PCI-E.

Anyway, when I bought this card, I knew it was going to be trouble. I started out by installing everything and the drivers that came on the disc, only to find that whenever I played a video of any kind (other than flash), my computer hard froze, and I had to restart. I did however find a workaround, which was to turn down hardware acceleration to the third notch in my settings, whenever I watched a movie.

So, following the logical thing to do, I downloaded the newest drivers from Nvidia, only to find that it still froze. Now slightly perturbed, I searched google, and found some older 81.xx drivers that were rumored to work. It turns out, they did. I could watch video without my computer freezing at all. Yay!

Well, everything was well and good, until I went to play a game of any sort. You see, whenever I played a game, it would hard freeze in less than an hour, whether it was in 5 minutes or 55 minutes. I would get a blue screen that would tell me my nv4_disp.dll has failed. Please restart. Driver problems. So what could I do but turn to the internets for help. Well, I did, and I found a solution, which is to run the game in windowed mode. No freezing or stuttering of any sort. Woots! Only problem is, my FPS drop significantly in windowed mode, and in games like Command and Conquer 3, there is only one way to run windowed mode. I have to add a "-win" to the end of the shortcut, which in turn means that the mouse dosen't work correctly, and all-in-all I get a huge hassle.

Well, I dealt with it, until I needed to reformat my computer. It's a Windows machine, so of course im going to need to reformat. Anyway, I removed everything from the hard drive and did a hard format, reinstalled Windows, and installed my new-found drivers, 91.31. See, what I neglected to say in the beginning is that a friend bought the exact same card, and had the same problems, but he found the drivers 91.31 and they work for him, no problems whatsoever. So, I installed these drivers on my machine after the fresh reformat, and then I installed two games, Command and Conquer 3, and World of Warcraft.

Well, first, I ran a video, to test things out. It ran fine, no problems. Then I booted up Command and Conquer. Ran fine for about an hour, the length of time I had to play it. Then it was time for WoW. I booted it up and it ran wonderfully, up until about 30 minutes in when it started freezing intermittently. At first, it just stopped everything for a second, then ran fine. Five minutes later, it stopped for another second. This continued for awhile, but got a bit worse, so I tried Windowed Mode. No dice. The problem persisted, until I was hit with an error message. nv4_disp has encountered an error. Please restart to restore full functionality to your graphics. This time there was no blue screen, and the dialog just let me click ok, and now I'm typing this to you. The computer didn't crash like it used to, but windowed mode didn't help.

Please forum goers and wonderful community of Geeknights, help me. I'm at my wits end and I don't know what to do. I've scoured the internet looking for some way to fix this problem, and I can find nothing to help me that I haven't tried. Please help!

(Note: Please don't post asking me to get a new computer, stop using cheap junk, etc. It's all I can afford right now. Sorry.)

Comments

• How long have you had your card? I know my video card was giving me problems until I used some compressed air to remove a giant dust ball. It works fine now.
  • It's done this since it was brand new, and I'm not sure how long I've had it, but I just cleaned my computer.
  • Hey guys, I hate to bump this, and this is the last time I'll do it, but I really need help on this issue. If I don't get any response after this, then I'll leave it be and maybe find somewhere else to turn to.

Note: I never realized how active these forums were until I followed a topic. This was on the second page in a day.
  • Maybe it is not the software that’s wrong, if you could try installing the same card in another PC, say your friend who bought it too, maybe that could help you figure out what´s wrong. Try checking your hardware, clean up your motherboard, check voltages, connections and heat issues
    Also try running windows update, sometimes, and I mean sometimes, windows update is smart enough to see you need a driver and would give it to you on the optional updates, but I have only seen that work like once.

• Well, if I do go the route of trying it in a different computer, that will be the last thing I do, but it's a good idea nonetheless. Everything is clean inside my computer, I cleaned it a few weeks ago, and there's no voltages to check on a regular PCI video card that I know of. No heat issues arise, because as soon as the problem occurs I can check the temp settings for the card and it's running pretty cool. The connections are intact as far as I can tell.

My computer automatically notifies me of updates, so I have all the current ones, and yes, I checked to make sure.

Any other ideas guys?