This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Community College vs. University

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
I was having an argument about this early today. I am currently in my local community college and plan on transferring out to a four year school as soon as I've got a solid career path ahead of me. This in my opinion is the best way to go about furthering your education if you aren't 110% sure what you want to do.

So what are some other peoples thoughts on this? and university can be tech school or whatever also just throw out your thoughts.

Comments

• It's a good move for money saving if your community college doesn't suck.
  • edited September 2007
    You read my mind Chr15C! I was going to do a thread on this topic. LOL.

I also go to a community college and planning on tranfer to a 4 year art school. Although I was sure that I wanted to be an animator there was no way I could get into an art school with my skills then. Also my SAT scores weren't the best and my family and I aren't stacked in bills.

I also have met many people through P.G comm. I got to do things and be things I never got the chance to in high school. I became a secretary of a skate club and a comic cartoon club. I was nominated for anime club and asked to be president of imrov club. I got to meet new friends and we hang out and go to cons together. I actually get good grades because I'm learning what I want to learn and for a good price.

I know a lot of friends who were undecided and found themselves in comm. coll. Just because it's a community college doesn't mean it's any less rewarding or educational. A ton of money spent at a university doesn't mean the quality of the class.

Plus I hate that "13th grade" thing people say. What's fucked up about it is mostly non college HS grad people say that. So what if I'm in "13th grade" (well..15th since this is my 3rd year) at least I'm doing something! At least I'm having fun being in it!

Sorry about the last part. Someone said that to me today on the metro.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Well I'm fairly certain some aspects of my community college sucks. In fact I'm even more certain that I'm smarter then the professor of the class I'm currently sitting in.

But at the very least even if the school isn't great you can at least get gen-eds out of the way cheaply while still trying to decide what to go for.

I pay around 1000 dollars for a full 12 credit semester, a friend pays over 15,000 for a full semester at Arcadia University
  • If you live in the Washington DC area or Northern Virginia I recommend anyone to try Northern Virginia Community College cuz its credits transfer to any universtity on the eastern states of the USA. And if your GPA is higher than 3.5 you can transfer to most  good schools such as UVA, VCU or Va Tech.
  • I don't know for sure I've never really had reason to look into this but I believe most if not all comminity colleges offer the transfers and such especially for higher gpa's
  • PGCC offers instant transfer to any of the Maryland state colleges and Art Institute of Wash. for the art majors.
  • CCC has good transfer options for Jersey schools, so rutgers, rowen, stockton, etc. It's got some deal with NJIT for transfering there also
  • ...Does any of this apply to Canada? o.o; I'm just curious... does anyone know that?
  • If you live in the Washington DC area or Northern Virginia I recommend anyone to try Northern Virginia Community College cuz its credits transfer to any universtity on the eastern states of the USA. And if your GPA is higher than 3.5 you can transfer to most good schools such as UVA, VCU or Va Tech.

Aren't almost all the community colleges in Virginia connected in a collaborative way? From what I've heard, you can go to just about any of them and some of the Universities will just take the credits 1:1 by default.
  • Not all of them, I had some friends from Germana Commuity College that tried to transfer their credits and only less than half of them were accepted : (
  • edited September 2007
    A lot of schools have that problem. There's one that wouldn't accept credits towards certain majors if you took the class over the winter semester(between the Christmas and the spring semester), even though the classes were happening at their school. And this was a university, not just a county school.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I have a 4 year Business Degree from a University and I suggest you choose Community College, it's a lot more hands on and to the point.