This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Remote Control Media Box

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
So I've have a dedicated media box in my TV room for years and really it's been totally grand. I use it to record/watch TV, movies, youtubes, podcasts, music and all the other things you'd expect a media center computer to do. When I first set it up a few years back I tried a few options for TV style remote controls but didn't like them as they didn't have enough flexibility. The ones I had were always tied to specific applications and I need something more along the lines of a WiiMote style control for a Windows XP desktop. A recent Digg article got me to thinking about this again so I wanted to get some advice on my ideas and a few of yours if I'm making this way more difficult then is needed.

Requirements:
- Must work in Windows XP Pro (though for the perfect solution, I may change OS on the box)
- Wireless connectivity from my couch (line of sight with computer and wireless router)
- Opens and uses media related applications
- Browses internet
- Solution < $400

Solutions Researched or Used:
1: Wireless remote controls. The ones I've used only work with the TiVo-like app I'm using. Makes the computer work like a TV but misses out on other applications and internet browsing required. Is there something someone else has used that's better?
2: Wireless Keyboard and Mouse: I hate batteries so I'd need a docking station. I haven't had luck with these as they're kind of big from my couch. The mouse is hard to use though a keyboard/trackball wireless combination with rechargeable batteries from a docking station would maybe work for me. Not too flashy though.
3: Laptop/Tablet PC: I've used laptops with RealVNC in the past and it's slick. Laptops are kind of big when lounging from the couch but it offers all of the functionality I'd need. Tablet PCs (12" or smaller) would work really slick I think but it's an expensive solution. I don't have a laptop either way but may be in the market for one shortly.
4: Ultra Moile PCs: Also on the expensive side but not as much as a tablet. Can I do something similar to a VNC solution with a cheaper PDA?
6: PSP / NDS: I've found some hacks that will allow for VNCing over wireless network from a PSP or NDS to your computer. This seems like a fun solution though it's going to take some work. I have an NDS but the PSP solution is better documented on the internet and you don't have to worry as much about compatibility issues with the flash cart you're using. The NDS documentation is mostly in French as well.
7: iPhone or iTouch: This is the link that started it all for me. The hack that I'd need (remote desktop) isn't fully functional yet, but it may be worth waiting for a good iTouch version.

Thoughts? Ideas? What do you use today? Which one would you use?

Comments

• The Pepper Pad 3 looks awesome but it's out of the price range (for now) and their website sucks hard. It also has no documentation about VNCing into my media box but if it's just Linux then you'd think I'd be able to find something. The Harmony 1000 from Logitech looks like it might work except there is no documentation on just if it will actually run my computer for me. It's also out of the price range I think.
  • IIRC, The pepper has an IR transmitter, and it can function as a remote control for many devices.
  • IIRC, The pepper has an IR transmitter, and it can function as a remote control for many devices.
    I need it to run my PC, not just my IR devices. I need to be able to open files and applications on another computer and have them play on that computer.

I don't really care if the remote can stream files, only that it can open my files on another computer. My media box is a VNC server and I need something that will act as a remote client (preferably with a touch screen) to control the desktop of my networked PC.

• I don't really care if the remote can stream files, only that it can open my files on another computer. My media box is a VNC server and I need something that will act as a remote client (preferably with a touch screen) to control the desktop of my networked PC.
    You aren't going to get something that can do that for cheap. The cheapest and smallest devices I know that can do VNC are things like a hacked iPhone, a Palm Treo, a Windows mobile phone, a Nokia N800, etc. Maybe an old used cheap laptop or tablet pc will work?

I also know that if you run MythTV and you get an IR receiver for your PC, that you can control the PC using a remote. I assume that Windows Media Center can do something similar.
  • If you have bluetooth on your comp, I could show you how to hook up your wiimote and use that.
  • If you have bluetooth on your comp, I could show you how to hook up your wiimote and use that.
    Sweet! Link me!
  • I was going to suggest a gyro mouse but compared to a Wiimote in terms of price and being able to use it on a Wii too I'd say they're way better.
  • Sweet! Link me!
    Linkage. Just let me know if you need more guidance from there.
  • Sweet! Link me!
    Linkage. Just let me know if you need more guidance from there.
    Holy crap that's sweet. Thanks!
  • Here is a thread I made that has a lot more details.