This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

A Bit More Band Help

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
Man, I ask you guys for a bunch of help! Oh well...

Ok, So I have to practice a lot for Band, and I've already "mastered" all the music they've given us. So, I started playing my other songs I like to play, like the Futurama theme, Merry Go Round Broke Down (the Looney Tunes theme), Super Mario Bros. theme, and Tetris theme. Now I'm bored, and I have to fill out about another 30-40 mins of music practicing. So, I ask you, any songs I should play on my Flute? (if you have links to the Sheet Music, that would be nice)

Thanks!

Oh! And if you want, I'm recording it all on GarageBand, so if you wanna listen, I can send you a file of whatever you wanna hear.

Comments

• Cruel Angels Thesis, the theme to Evangelion, or the Big O theme.
  • I second Eva. I would love to hear. I love flutes. My email is in my profile.
  • I'm listening to it right now, and I'm already in love... :P
    I'm gonna learn to play this right now! (if I can find any help or sheet music... ^.^;;;)
  • I would like you to send me all of your music (including Eva theme). My Email is in my profile.
  • edited September 2007
    Uhmmm... you want the big ol' practice file from right now? (since it is practicing, I do mess up a bit/lot)

Erg! Cruel Angle's Thesis has chords! Flutes don't do chords!
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • Sounds interesting. Put it up somewhere.
  • Ok, so a bit of an update.

Cruel Angel's Thesis is kinda hard. I've learned the first little bit, but the rest is hard for me, so I've been stumbling on my fingers. BUT, while I was looking for the sheet music, I also found a great place with a lot of Finale music, and I found some Zelda, Mario, and some Pokemon! So, with that break from Cruel Angle's Thesis, I managed to learn the Pokemon intro theme, and the Zelda intro theme, and now I'm moving onto Kokiri Forest.

Oh, and my fingers are tired, so I'll move onto other HWK, but come back to this later today.
  • Ok, I know playing video game and anime music can be fun, but this is not something I would consider to be of any true musical value from the standpoint of practicing especially when you have to write it on your own. At your young age you should focus on mastering your instrument. Practice SCALES, SCALES, and MORE SCALES!! For now, just your major scales and chromatics should suffice but learn multiple octaves for each them (at least two). Also, pick up one or two method books. These usually have tons of small tunes that will help you extend you abilities. As a French Horn player in college I have five method and studies books and a large scale book including a ton of solos that I use to practice. Additionally, if you are serious about the flute, try picking up a private teacher to take lessons from each week. Usually members of the local orchestra/symphony will give lessons to students.
  • Ok, I know playing video game and anime music can be fun, but this is not something I would consider to be of any true musical value from the standpoint of practicing especially when you have to write it on your own. At your young age you should focus on mastering your instrument. Practice SCALES, SCALES, and MORE SCALES!! For now, just your major scales and chromatics should suffice but learn multiple octaves for each them (at least two). Also, pick up one or two method books. These usually have tons of small tunes that will help you extend you abilities. As a French Horn player in college I have five method and studies books and a large scale book including a ton of solos that I use to practice. Additionally, if you are serious about the flute, try picking up a private teacher to take lessons from each week. Usually members of the local orchestra/symphony will give lessons to students.
    Actually, you're right.
    After hearing myself play, I really need to practice them scales!
    And I do have a few scale/exersise books from last year and the year before, but I haven't touched them in ages. I guess I really should pick the up again...
    And my mom and I are planning on getting me private lessons, but we're gonna wait until after we move into our new house.

Eek... I really need to tune. And sound clearer. >.<

Thanks, WIP! It's good to hear something like this from someone more experienced.
  • Dammit Wip, you beat me at saying that!

I play violin for a local orchestra and I play guitar in a black metal band.
  • Dammit Wip, you beat me at saying that!

I play violin for a local orchestra and I play guitar in a black metal band.
    Whoa... what if those both met up...
    Would the awesomeness destroy the world?
  • edited September 2007
    It seems we have quite a bit of musical talent in the Geeknights community. I myself play the Trombone, Trumpet, Tuba, Piano/Keyboard, Flute, and I'm learning the Saxophone and Clarinet. It seems that once you learn to play an instrument, the others come naturally.

Anyway, Geeknights band! Woot!
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • Trombones, Drums, and a little bit of Piano over here!
  • Guitar and Piano here. I could also put your songs up online. ;)
  • Sadly, I do not play an instrument. However, I do propose this. All you people with awesome music skills, who wish to make the non-musical people (like me) envy you guys, select a song. Zelda theme for example, and all play on your respective instrument(s) the proper part for said instrument and then someone should put all those recording together. Geeknights Forums presents: The Zelda Theme from all around the world.
  • That seems interesting but near to impossible to do.
  • Making the songs match up together and be the same exact tempo would be very difficult, even with a metronome. However, if Nineless was talking about putting them together, one after the other, that would be pretty feasible. If we can decide on a song, and someone has a piece of sheet music for it, or even just notes, than I would be more than happy to contribute a few parts.
  • That sounds like a lot of fun!
    I'm guessing no solos, though...
  • I was thinking we could give the song some of our own flavor. There's things you can do with, say, a trombone, that other instruments can't duplicate. Same goes for most other instruments. We could also play it in different styles and tones.

The more I think about it, the more I want to do this, so I think we need to decide on a song.
  • Not one after the other. On each other. Creating an entire orchestra when most of you people have never seen each other irl.
  • That would be nigh impossible. Not only would we have to be perfectly in-tune with each other, but we'd have to be in time with each other too. Like I said before, a metronome would help, but still... We could always try it, but I'm leaning more towards a small MP3 of everyone playing a short piece.
  • edited September 2007
    It would be like that G-Mail video, but in Mp3 form and with a song. This is sounding really awesome!
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • edited September 2007
    I can give you about 50 songs, but I need to know one thing. Do you have a piano accompaniment? (or someone to play flute with you)
    Post edited by Mr. Eric on
    /Obligatory image of my horns...
  • I personally won't have anyone to accompany me. :(
  • I don't play any instruments, but I used to rap in high school. If needed, I can always dust off the mic.
  • I don't play any instruments, but I used to rap in high school. If needed, I can always dust off the mic.
    I call for a Mario Bros. Rap. :P
  • The only instrument I play is Guitar Hero. =I
  • I say we do Booster Tarantino!
  • If we have one person begin (a well tuned piano would be ideal I think), then each person could tune to that part and record in time with that piece (through headphones or whatever). We could do it if we all had good recording equipment. We won't though because we don't. The background noise from mic's and crappy records would just be too horrid after mixing in only a few tracks.