This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ubuntu SUX. If you disagree, prove me wrong

edited September 2007 in Technology
So I installed Ubuntu on my laptop. Here is a tally of my experience so far:

Ubuntu refused to boot, the boot sequence stops at 3rd box in the boot animation, reinstalled.
spent 6+ hours getting display to work right.
spent many hours trying to get internet to work.
got my departments tech guy to get my internet to work.
Ubuntu starts refusing to boot again. Once again stopping at the 3rd box in the boot animation.

Total time with Ubuntu: <1week. Total time using Ubuntu: ~3hours.

Conclusion: Ubuntu is annoying, incompatible, glitchy, obtuse and doesn't want to work at all. I am really pissed off, especially since my programming assignment is on the HD and it's starting to look like I'll have to reformat again. If I didn't need a Unix like system for school, I'd declare this experiment a failure.

If you disagree, tell me how to fix this thing without reinstalling again, and make it stay up for more time than I have spent getting it to work.

Comments

• So I installed Ubuntu on my laptop.
    Well there's ya problem. Of course Linux doesn't work too well with proprietary closed-source/closed-spec hardware, and as much as the linux guys try to reverse engineer working drivers, this is never going to be a perfect solution, and for all but the simplest of hardware you are going to run into cases where the software 'should' work, but doesn't.
    I am really pissed off
    But...it's free... You're pissed off because something that was given to you free on an "as is" basis doesn't work?

In any case, I would love to help fix your problem, but you haven't really provided any details. Details such as what laptop you have, for example, would be very helpful (speaking of which, did you check your laptop against the list of supported laptops on the official Ubuntu site before you tried to install it?). Or what version of Ubuntu you're trying to install. Can you boot into single-user mode? Did you do anything on the last boot that could cause the system to fail? Do you get any error message? Ubuntu will drop down to the text boot and show what it's currently trying to do if the booting takes too long, and if it doesn't it's probably an indicator of Not A Good Thing. Or it could just be fscking the hard disk.
  • edited September 2007
    We don't have to prove anything to you. It's your fault. You (hopefully) knew what you were getting into. Not everything is compatible with linux. It's not Ubuntu's fault, it's the hardware you're trying to run it on.

And, hate to break it to ya, you're gonna have to live with some incarnation of linux if you're gonna be a programmer.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Hate to break it to you, but this is why Linux is never going to be a significant player on the desktop.
  • Hate to break it to you, but this is why Linux is never going to be a significant player on the desktop.

Please tell me that was a very clever satirical jab at the disallusions of the average Microsoft fanboy. Because otherwise I'm going to have to ban you from the interwebs.
  • edited September 2007
    To look at this rationally it probably is the laptop that is at fault as if ubuntu can make it work then it will. Your laptop probably involves a lot of proprietary components for it to mess up that badly. I suggest you check if your install CD was ok (data verified and md5) and if that doesn't work try using PCLinuxOS, Sabayon or one of the other ready to boot linux distros.
    But...it's free... You're pissed off because something that was given to you free on an "as is" basis doesn't work?
    I disagree with the "It's free, don't expect anything" attitude when it comes to linux as you have to expend a lot of valuable time getting to grips with it but the payoff is well worth it. I can't now understand how I coped with my system locking up ever in windows.

Hate to break it to you, but this is why Linux is never going to be a significant player on the desktop.

There has been a shift towards linux friendly hardware and all many companies need to do is give out documentation (descriptions how a piece of hardware interacts with the system) and the linux people will make the hardware work without any expenditure of labor on the companies part. Eventually open source drivers may be the norm.

And please, your opinion on something is not the definition of its quality so "I think Ubutnu sucks." would be more accurate than "Ubuntu SUX"
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I think Ubuntu often doesn't get a fair shake because you have nubs installing it. They would have had just as hard a time installing Windows, but they never have to install Windows because it comes pre-installed on their system. The vast majority of computer users out there are incapable of installing any operating system whatsoever.

Let me ask you some things. Did you research on the net before installing Ubuntu for stories of anyone else who tried to use Ubuntu on your specific laptop? Perhaps going to the Ubuntu forums, Ubuntu wiki, or Linux on Laptops websites to find information about how to get it working? During those many hours you spent trying to get your display and Internet to work, did you perhaps learn something about displays or networking?

By the way, the next version of Ubuntu is going to have a new system making it ludicrously easier to get your display working and at the correct resolution. Also, if your network card was working, which it appears to, then your failure to get the network connection working would have been the same experience as in Windows. In fact, it would have been harder in Windows because Windows often does not come with network drivers built-in. You would have had no network connection, yet you would have had to get online to download drivers.

Installing operating systems on computers from scratch is a pain in the ass if you don't know about computers. It doesn't matter what OS it is. Some hate on Linux is well deserves, say for perhaps its shitty handling of audio. Some hate on Linux is not the open source community's fault, such as difficulty with some wireless cards. And some hate on Linux is from people who would have had a hard time installing any operating system, taking out their frustration on the one they actually tried.

By the way, I just want to point out the disregard for burden of proof in the subject of this thread. If you say Ubuntu SUX, you make the claim, you have to provide supporting evidence. Otherwise, Flying Spaghetti Monster, prove me wrong!
  • RymRym
    edited September 2007
    Ubuntu refused to boot, the boot sequence stops at 3rd box in the boot animation, reinstalled.
    If your hardware isn't supported, it isn't supported.  Windows has the same problem sometimes, though not as often.
    More to the point, "reinstallled?"  So, you're saying that you installed once, and it failed.  You installed again without changing anything, and this time it worked?  Did you test the CD to make sure it's not scratched or otherwise incomplete?  Did you google around for similar problems others have had?
    spent 6+ hours getting display to work right.
    Did you look up any documentation?  Did you ask anyone for help?
    spent many hours trying to get internet to work.
    Did you look up any documentation?  Did you ask anyone for help?
    got my departments tech guy to get my internet to work.
    Obviously, he fixed it for you.  Did you watch him to it?  Did you ask him what he did?  Could you repeat it?
    Ubuntu starts refusing to boot again. Once again stopping at the 3rd box in the boot animation.
    You've got a hardware problem of some kind.
    incompatible
    It works on the majority of computer hardware in the world without issue.
    glitchy
    Every "glitch" you experienced was a result of either ignorange or unsupported hardware.
    doesn't want to work at all.
    Unsupported hardware.
    I am really pissed off, especially since my programming assignment is on the HD and it's starting to look like I'll have to reformat again.
    You can get your programming assignment off easily before you reinstall.
    If I didn't need a Unix like system for school, I'd declare this experiment a failure.
    Ahh, but there's no alternative, is there?  It's not like Windows can do what you need.
    If you disagree, tell me how to fix this thing without reinstalling again, and make it stay up for more time than I have spent getting it to work.
    You seem to be under the misapprehension that we care if people use Linux or not. ^_~  I prefer to use it.  Scott prefers to use it.  That's it. If you want to use it, then you're going to have to do your research and actually learn how to use it.  There is no such thing as a powerful, simple to use, AND customizable OS.  You have to give up at least one of those to have the others.
    No operating system is perfect.  I have problems with Linux all the time.  I just have fewer than I did with Windows.  Were that not the case, I would probably still be using Windows.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • When I installed Ubuntu on my desktop a while back it was rather simple, and had no issues what so ever. Everything seemed to work fine, or required a quick download to fix. Granted I don't use Ubuntu at all, but that's not 'cause its bad.
  • Hate to break it to you, but this is why Linux is never going to be a significant player on the desktop.In the corporate world, it's actually becoming a significant player prettty quickly.  Remember: in managed environments, the users don't need to know anything about their computers.  They get the applications they need, and they use them.  They'll never intstall Linux on their own: their IT department will.
  • I've got Ubuntu running on a desktop and a laptop and there were a lot of crap problems to fix when I put it on the laptop. You really shouldn't have been installing Linux period if you couldn't fix them. Start out with a live cd grab Knoppix or if you're smart enough not to destroy you're system BackTrack.

If you just have to have it installed though try Ubuntu 5.10 I think it was Breezy Badger but I'm not sure about the animal name. That caused the least trouble installing it on four different laptops. Your resolution will probably be a bit off still but everything else worked fine after a bit of tweaking and gathering of dependencies.
  • I once installed Ubuntu from a Live CD on my Laptop. It worked perfectly, I really liked being able to try an OS without installing anything.
    The whole thing looked like the next logic step for computers, with the Live CD installation, easy application install through a packet manager and a really big collection of games and programs, so that one can actually do something with a fresh install.

The only reason for me to stop was that Windows XP found a way to kill itself (using it, crash, reboot, checking the disk and then being unable to start explorer.exe), I had to reinstall it (Potoshop isn't working fully with WINE) and assy windumb had to overwrite grub. But I coudn't reborrow the CD from my friend and my internet had a dumb 10 gb max restriction.

The only downside of Linux isn't really Linux fault, most manufactures just don't make compatible drivers. Otherwise Linux is a great way of getting to know your computer ^^

(But right now I just love my Mac OS X :) )
  • When I made my most recent computer purchase, I had two old boxes (6 years old and 8 years old) kicking around and decided to give some Linux distros a whirl. I tried Mandriva, Debian, Ubuntu, and Edubuntu. Mandriva just didn't work; it got to what I assume is halfway through the install and simply errored out (even on a couple retries). Debian was a bit trickier than I would have liked. It has a decent package manager, but to a Linux newb, finding the software I wanted was sometimes a little daunting. Ubuntu and Edubuntu both installed perfectly - no driver issues at all. Also, I was quite surprised it worked well on such old hardware. After the shell loaded, it was quite responsive, despite running on such anciently slow hardware (K6-2 400MHz and Celeron 700 MHz).
  • Perhaps you should have tried running the live CD just to see if it worked on your computer before you installed?
  •  
    Hate to break it to you, but this is why Linux is never going to be a significant player on the desktop.In the corporate world, it's actually becoming a significant player prettty quickly.  Remember: in managed environments, the users don't need to know anything about their computers.  They get the applications they need, and they use them.  They'll never intstall Linux on their own: their IT department will.

Certainly.  But in home desktop... not so much.
  • I can't add much to Rym's comments, but the essential idea here is that working with a computer requires knowledge. You can take shortcuts that are made by people with more knowledge than you (Microsoft, Dell, Ubuntu, etc), but only to the extent that they graciously went through all the trouble to do your work for you in the first place.

As far as I'm concerned, that's what 100% of the cost of Windows is for: all the compatibility testing and special arrangements with OEMs that make Windows' ease-of-installation possible. The actual programming of the OS? Whatever.

Conquering the home desktop market is irrelevant. The rise of virtualization may yet make your choice of OS obselete. Have you ever used Parallels with Coherence? The free VMWare player? Virtualization renders most hardware incompatibilities moot. While it is somewhat less efficient than a native OS, hardware is rapidly getting more powerful, even while all virtualization applications are getting more efficient, more powerful, and less expensive.

For all the consumer of 2010 knows, the Dell he bought runs Windows Vista. Little does he know it's just a layer on top of Dell linux, which is serving up all sorts of backup, recovery, and remote assistance features to the nice fellows at Dell who can fix his broke-ass computer with the press of a button.

As far as I can estimate, this scenario is more likely than linux, or even Mac OS, overtaking Windows in the home desktop market. Eventually, the concept of having just one operating system may become quaint. The technically-inclined will have every OS under the sun, each running the apps it hosts best, all on a rock-solid (likely *nix-based) platform.

Well, I can dream, can't I?
  • I am really pissed off, especially since my programming assignment is on the HD and it's starting to look like I'll have to reformat again.
    *laughs* Get a cheap USB stick and dump it on there. Then find the proper Windows alternative for whatever compiler you need. Oh, don't forget to grab some ad-ware and viruses on your way. The Windows experience is incomplete without having dealt with that. Rym nailed the rest.
  • edited September 2007
    I can't add much to Rym's comments, but the essential idea here is that working with a computer requires knowledge. You can take shortcuts that are made by people with more knowledge than you (Microsoft, Dell, Ubuntu, etc), but only to the extent that they graciously went through all the trouble to do your work for you in the first place.

As far as I'm concerned, that's what 100% of the cost of Windows is for: all the compatibility testing and special arrangements with OEMs that make Windows' ease-of-installation possible. The actual programming of the OS? Whatever.

Conquering the home desktop market is irrelevant. The rise of virtualization may yet make your choice of OS obselete. Have you ever used Parallels with Coherence? The free VMWare player? Virtualization renders most hardware incompatibilities moot. While it is somewhat less efficient than a native OS, hardware is rapidly getting more powerful, even while all virtualization applications are getting more efficient, more powerful, and less expensive.

For all the consumer of 2010 knows, the Dell he bought runs Windows Vista. Little does he know it's just a layer on top of Dell linux, which is serving up all sorts of backup, recovery, and remote assistance features to the nice fellows at Dell who can fix his broke-ass computer with the press of a button.

As far as I can estimate, this scenario is more likely than linux, or even Mac OS, overtaking Windows in the home desktop market. Eventually, the concept of having just one operating system may become quaint. The technically-inclined will have every OS under the sun, each running the apps it hosts best, all on a rock-solid (likely *nix-based) platform.

Well, I can dream, can't I?
    Wow, I really like the idea! But 2010 might be a bit optimistic, even when you hypotetically think all companies would work together. Without some kind of "glue" combining all OSs and giving them some global UI it would never be really usable or efficient. Maybe there would be some simply System running underneath, awhich would let programs run on their native ground (like WINE makes a layer on which Windows programs run). Or it even comes down to mainframes.

It's also possible that Browsers make up most of the OS. Web 2.0 can recreate full programs, that way it doesn't matter what OS I use, I could even use a handheld.
    Post edited by Jain7th on
  • Well, it seems I finally got a decent response to a topic...

When I wrote the original post, I had just come off of 5 hours getting no where on my HW and I was already pissed, so when Ubuntu decided not to boot I got annoyed and wrote off my frustration. Ubuntu has since been beat into submission.

To address people's questions, my Laptop is a dell inspiron 8600, yes I did research, yes I did learn stuff, and yes I knew what I was getting into.

Still working on learning how this thing works, anybody know good sites or books? One of my classes has UNIX as part of the topic, but the book is really old ("...the free software foundation...their project is known as GNU and although they have not written a complete operating system yet..." is in the introduction).
  • I've messed around with Linux a few times and of all the times I've found Ubuntu to be the easiest, most stable, and most responsive version. I've also found their forums ( http://ubuntuforums.org/ ) to be one of the most helpful places on the web. Another good place that you may have heard of is http://www.google.com as Scott so frequently points out.
  • You know what? I had the same problem when I tried putting that old 440 engine in my GEO Metro. Nothing lined up and I ended up bending the frame and gouging the hell out of the engine compartment. Maybe I should have read up on the specs and requirements to install that engine first?

If I had done that I would have known that certain parts of my car were not compatible with that engine.

Yes, I am being sarcastic...
  • 440 engine in my GEO Metro
    I pay good monies for such a death trap.
  • You might have more luck with Debian. :) I did, anyways.
  • edited September 2007
    Did someone say "Mac?"

If it weren't for games, all of my computers would either be running Ubuntu, or they would be Apple products.

Except for the SLi setup on my gaming rig, and the fact that my laptop is pathetically equipped ram-wise, I have had no real problems getting Ubuntu going on any of the computers I have run it on since discovering it thanks to GeekNights.

Oh, and that isn't a small number of computers either. All the computer illiterate folks at work have horrible slow old systems that are loaded with viruses and ad-ware and such, and they bring them to me. Ubuntu is the quick fix. :D
    Post edited by WallyBman on
  • I have been thinking about volunteering to put ubuntu on peoples computers for a while but the idea of shouting down the phone to people "No you cant install MSN, open up the applications list and look for something called Kopete!!" doesn't really appeal to me.
  • edited September 2007
    Well, these people don't even know what MSN is. In fact, they know just enough to understand it when i tell them "FireFox is where the porn is."
    Post edited by WallyBman on