This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Friends-Only Digg

edited September 2007 in Technology
I had this idea recently, and with the advent of the new Digg profile features, I'm thinking about it even more.

Let's say you have a site that is basically the same as Digg. However, you make a few key changes. First off, you make the people the focus of the site, more than the news. The front page would be a list of recently active users, and not a list of news stories. Second, you only show people news that has been dugg by at least one of their friends. If one of the people who you call a friend diggs something, you will see it. If you digg something, people who consider you a friend will see it. Stories will spread throughout the network like a spider on his web. Instead of popular stories being splashed all over the web when they hit the front page. Also, you will never get to see how many times a particular item has been dugg. No story will stand out above any other, except for stories people bury. If one of your friends buries a story that you or another friend has dugg, you will have a strong visual cue on that story so you know one of your friends disapproves of it. Oh yeah, you will also only see comments on stories that are made by your friends.

Of course I didn't think of everything. It's a complicated thing. I'm just really thinking that this might be a way to a better Digg. No more worries about Digg spammers, unless you have friends who digg stupidly. If you have stupid friends, just unfriend them. Someone trying to spam the system would actually have to trick people into becoming friends with them. There would inherently be no automatic way to make something popular by making 100 accounts. You and your friends could even make a small and insular network of digging, not befriending anyone outside of that circle, and passing links only between yourselves with no outside line.

At the least, I think it's a cool idea, and you can actually get a taste of what it would be like by going to

http://digg.com/users/YOURDIGGNAME/friends/diggs

Comments

• Stories will spread throughout the network like a spider on his web.
    Drama queen.

Though, I do like your idea.
  • What does someone new to the site, who has no friends yet, see?
  • Well someone up to programming that?

I'd like to do the graphics ^^
  • What does someone new to the site, who has no friends yet, see?
    Umm, people to be friends with? Maybe make it invite-only so you start with one friend.
  • I was just thumbing through the API, and this definitely looks doable. My schedule is already a tad crazy, so I can't in good conscience guarantee any amount of help. However, if someone takes the lead on this, I wouldn't mind - when I have a slot of time - helping out with either code-monkeying, formatting, styling, or occasionally giving unsolicited advice.
  • So, what you're basically saying Scott is, make the "Stories dugg by friends" the main page you see when going to Digg.com. And then putting the current main page on a different tab with either the latest or most dugg stories. For without any way to see newly submitted stories, how can someone digg a story to let his/her friends know there's an awesome story out there. That, or everyone will eventually be linked to each other. Basically meaning my nonexistent angry and horribly neighbor who uses Digg is via via a friend of me.

I find it a decent idea, but the problem is it'll either stay small, or it will just be Digg slightly changed so that you can only see the news through your friends diggs.
  • So, what you're basically saying Scott is, make the "Stories dugg by friends" the main page you see when going to Digg.com. And then putting the current main page on a different tab with either the latest or most dugg stories. For without any way to see newly submitted stories, how can someone digg a story to let his/her friends know there's an awesome story out there. That, or everyone will eventually be linked to each other. Basically meaning my nonexistent angry and horribly neighbor who uses Digg is via via a friend of me.
    The current main page would not exist at all. I would not make a way for people to see the most popular stories. That would open it up to spam and the "splash" effect. There would also not be any such thing as a "newly submitted story". A story would either be dugg, or not dugg, period. If a friend submits a new story, it's dugg for all their friends to see. If it's not dugg, nobody sees it. You digg a story to let your friends see it by pasting in the URL. If a story is very popular, it will travel along the web from friend to friend to friend. If it is super popular, it will spread like wildfire because people have multiple friends who have multiple friends, and so on.
  • Sounds a bit like Stumbleupon. Find something you like thumb it up and send it to your friend. If they like it they thumb it up and send it to their friends.
  • Sounds a bit like Stumbleupon. Find something you like thumb it up and send it to your friend. If they like it they thumb it up and send it to their friends.
    Isn't stumbleupon mostly used for its random stumbling?
  • No, you can set StumbleUpon to only display pages your friends have recommended.
    Isn't stumbleupon mostly used for its random stumbling?
    Yeeh. It's awesome to find just random awesome things.

Anyways, there's a problem in your idea Scott. One has to befriend a submitter. You mentioned it on the show, the 1% rule. 1% creates, 10 % interacts, 89 % consumes. I can imagine a story being super awesome and being old news for the people who have a lot of submitters as friends, when it arrives to someone at the end of the line. Currently a lot of the people I have befriended on Digg (that's all the people here in the ID share thing) live in the US. And thus go digging when it's late/night here. And thus I see stuff you people dugg a day later. Now imagine this happening in the friends digg. Some european person has befriended a lot of americans, tons of them. 40% of them all digg one and the same super awesome story. And the other 60% don't see it for whatever reason. Then the next day said European person sees the story, diggs it, and then the other 60% sees the story. Time zones are a bitch in that case.
  • Now that digg got rid of the "4 friends at a time" limit I have added back all of my friends.
  • Now that digg got rid of the "4 friends at a time" limit I have added back all of my friends.
    There was a limit on friends?
    There was a limit on friends?
    Yeeh. You can only add so many friends in so much time. Took some time to add all of you. *grumbles* " 'Friend not added' WTF!?! *grumble, wait, add add add a-crap* " It's annoying. But it's gone now HMTKSteve? Other side. You now get an email whenever someone befriends you. Depending on if you have them as friend or not it's either "xxx is now your mutual friend" or "xxx is now your fan!" o.< I already got one fan.
  • edited September 2007
    I like spying on Rym and Scott's Del.icio.us for interesting posts. (Rym, how's that job hunt going?) I'm afraid if my friends posted links to me in something like that, it'd mostly be the same links for Digg/Slashdot/GeekNights/etc. that I see each day anyway. There would be too much overlap I think.

I'd be like a blog or other social networking site where all you do is link and look at your "friend page" with more links. If you only see your friends links, it could actually restrict your exposure to the internets (which may be OK).
    Post edited by cosmicenema on
  • If you only see your friends links, it could actually restrict your exposure to the internets (which may be OK).
    o.O A horrible thought was created by that line... You'll see people who either post in their personal description or use as user name "Befriend me for a goatse a day/week/month" and similar things.
  • Yeah, I have received a ton of email from digg today due to people friending and/or shouting to me.
  • Looking at your initial idea I like it, however by narrowing your view to only what your friends and yourself digg, are you not narrowing your view too much? By doing so ignoring people who could be posting things that you and your friends could be interested in, but are not seeing due to them not being "friends".
  • edited September 2007
    Maybe make it invite-only so you start with one friend.
    *cough* ORKUT */cough*
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • Looking at your initial idea I like it, however by narrowing your view to only what your friends and yourself digg, are you not narrowing your view too much? By doing so ignoring people who could be posting things that you and your friends could be interested in, but are not seeing due to them not being "friends".
    That's sort of the point. Throughout the large network of peoples eventually the good links will come out. Besides, it's not like people don't see cool links elsewhere on the Internet and post them up. The advantage is that there will be a lot less crap showing up because a bunch of idiots believe in conspiracy theories and such.
  • Google just did this, but minus the "Digg" part.

• Google just did this, but minus the "Digg" part.

Not exactly the same.