This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

How many have gone back and listened to every episode?

2»

Comments

• I've listened to almost all of them. Except for the last week. Still catching up. The podcast is great for those long commutes and airplane flights.
  • I'm not sure I'd even vote for the genetic ties so much any more. I live in the midwest where familial ties are terribly traditional and even here they're starting to matter less and less. You live for yourself and the people you care about which may-or-may-not be the people you grew up with or are related to.
    I agree 100%. I'm so sick of the expectations of feelings of love and compassion towards family just because, well, they're family. It feels so artificial.
    I agree as well. Just because we're related or came out of the same womb doesn't mean we HAVE to feel a certain way. I seen so much BS of "togetherness" growing up I don't like to go to family events.
  • Just because we're related or came out of the same womb doesn't mean we HAVE to feel a certain way.
    Forget womb! What about random distant cousins asking for money/gifts/attendance at their baby shower. Holy crap I just don't care. I've met you three times in my life and your upset I didn't invite you to my wedding?
  • Just because we're related or came out of the same womb doesn't mean we HAVE to feel a certain way.
    Forget womb! What about random distant cousins asking for money/gifts/attendance at their baby shower. Holy crap I just don't care. I've met you three times in my life and your upset I didn't invite you to my wedding?
    I've been through that recently for a cookout. Those things are so boring anyway. LOL.
  • I've heard all the episodes, but then I started listening only a couple months after they started. Despite knowing them before the show started, however, I have not heard anything previous to the official beginning.
  • edited June 2008
    Sorry to dredge up an old thread. I just wanted to say that I started listening to GeekNights last August, and this week, I finally finished listening to all the episodes. That's mainly thanks to being able to listen to them at work and on my commute. ...Hurray for me? Or that could be kinda sad.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Sorry to dredge up an old thread. I just wanted to say that I started listening to GeekNights last August, and this week, I finally finished listening to all the episodes. That's mainly thanks to being able to listen to them at work and on my commute. ...Hurray for me? Or that could be kinda sad.
    Almost a year. Wow. It proves they have a shit ton.
  • edited June 2008
    I feel like I know Scrym better than most of my family.
    There's something to be said for this. The internet is a very strange place.

Friendship is now bound only by intellect and shared interest, as opposed to physical location.  I consider it an improvement. ^_^

Friendship is now bound only by intellect and shared interest, as opposed to physical location and genetic ties. I consider it an improvement. ^_^
    Ditto to what Linton said. After listening to all of the archived Geeknights episodes and finding that my opinions are very much inline with Rym's and Scott's (although more so Rym). Not just opinions on geeky stuff, but social and political issues as well.

Since a lot of us apparently feel this way or similarly, Is this merely a case of like minded individuals coalescing in one place, with Rym and Scott at the geeky center of it all? Or could it be that, by bombarding our minds with the attitudes and personalities of Scrym, we ourselves have, over time, changed?
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • I've gone back and listened to the episodes I've found interesting. Strangely enough, I've eventually listened to all of the old episodes. I think that says something about the show.

When I'm commuting or tinkering with my computer, I'll put a random Geeknights or Fast Karate episode on, just to have something interesting to listen to in the background. No matter what the subject matter, they're both always entertaining.

I actually was just looking in my blog for a certain date, sometime in 2006, and I happened to read something that started with "oh mans." It doesn't seem like I've been listening for that long...
  • I've cherry-picked a few of the past episodes that interest me. This usually involves a tech question that I have or a boardgame that I am thinking about buying.

But no... I would never go back and listen to all of the episodes. Of course this is coming from someone who listens to less than 40% of the new episodes, so take that for what it's worth.
  • Sniff...Kilarney hates us.

For the record, I've listened to all the episodes, some of them twice. (But I'm no loser! Really!) Podcasts are good to listen to when you are animating, and I'll listen to Geeknights and a variety of other podcasts while I work. Also, if I don't listen to the episodes, sometimes I miss out on dinner conversation or inside jokes, and that's no good.
  • Sniff...Kilarney hates us.
    I love you guys! It's just that I only have so much time in my life. I'm not into anime, and I'm not a huge tech person. Therefore, I weed out a lot of those shows.
  • edited June 2008
    I actually heard them all when I first started listening. I've occasionnally gone back for episodes on something just to hear what SCRYM had to say about something. Like the Phoenix wright episodes or when I found Wesnoth and then listened in about it.

Edit: Except the mythical beta episodes.

edit: Those would make good otakon filler.
    Post edited by CHOIS CHOIS CHOIS on
  • I'll admit that I've listened to all of the episodes but I should really say that I've heard all of them I haven't always payed attention to all of them while they were on. Usually it would be while something else was going on but they are great things to listen to while doing school work at two or three in the morning.
  • How can you listen to spoken word audio and do schoolwork at the same time? I have trouble filtering out even music with lyrics! As soon as I have to do any reading, writing, talking or listening I have to switch off a podcast otherwise I automagically blank it out out; so much so I might as well not be listening.

When training or doing housework and the like, podcasts let me keep learning and thinking easily, so it feels I'm not wasting time. For cycling in a city I think podcasts are safer than music, as with music loud enough to hear and enjoy, I find it blocks of the sound of traffic a bit too much.

I listen to lots of podcasts, mainly due to not having a "real" job and being my own boss at the same time. I have no intention of going though the entire GeekNights archive, as I have plenty of other podcasts to listen to and there are just so many episodes about things I care nothing about. But I'm going through interesting looking episodes about topics I like and I'm having a lot of fun.
  • edited June 2008
    This thread inspired me to start listening to older episodes, starting with the first one posted. The episode began with Rym and Scottdiscussing politics, followed by a discussion of the planet Pluto...

...This feels like the twilight zone.
    Post edited by Schnevets on
  • followed by a discussion of the planet Pluto...
    Damn... it's not even a planet anymore!