This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sherry Shepherd is a moron.

edited September 2007 in Everything Else
9ACobXN7_p8
That's right. Sherry Shepherd is unsure if the world is flat or round. Are we really still at this point?

Comments

• Wow. That was torture.
  • The scary thing is this woman could be driving next to you on the freeway...
  • Damn the video is gone, I really wanted to watch it.
  • Kiey, just hit the menu button, and then select a vid that looks the same.
  • Sigh... - 20,000,000 of intelligence to the view.
  • wow... thats just really kind of scary.
  • Now come on. It's not that bad. I mean, for every smart person there has to be a stupid person. It's all statistics.
  • Now come on. It's not that bad. I mean, for every smart person there has to be a stupid person. It's all statistics.
    No, it is that bad. In this day and age, to not know that the world is round, that's idiotic.
    Either way, ignorance should not be protected.
    edited September 2007
    No, it is that bad.
    I know, just messing about. It's sad to know there are people like that, but I love the comment the woman makes between Sherry and Whoopi. "Haven't we established this already? Why are we doing this. [Audience laughs and cheers]" Same goes for Whoopi who's slightly shocked and leans back a bit with a straight face when she asks "Is the world flat?"

Oh, and the vid "Shepherd of The View - WILLFUL IGNORANCE!" from I believe MSNBC has an amazing ending XD Go watch it.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Wait, wait... the world is round?! I don't know, I mean my floor is definitely flat. It does not bend in any way. That MUST mean the world is flat.
  • edited September 2007
    On a Zombification Scale of 0 to 10 with 0 being "gonna be a zombie right away" and 10 being Chuck Norris level in zombie bashing. She'd be a -10. So things aren't a total loss with her.
    Post edited by RedShirt on
  • OK, that is the first time I have scene this clip and I am more concerned with her "go to the library" remark.
  • It is scary, that probably a rather large number of people watch this show and get their views and ideas on things from the hosts of this show.
  • ...Oh...My...God.. I know -nothing- about the Bible history, really, but I KNOW that Jesus came after all them. He was a freaking Jew.

Seriously, someone, kill that lady. I think she dropped my INT stats by 3 points...
  • Why don't they get her off the show. Why is she still here.
  • ...Oh...My...God.. I know -nothing- about the Bible history, really, but I KNOW that Jesus came after all them. He was a freaking Jew.

Seriously, someone, kill that lady. I think she dropped my INT stats by 3 points...
    Y'know, that's what gets me. The Old Testament is part of Christianity, and it is KNOWN BY CHRISTIANS that the books therein predate the New Testament, the foundation of Christianity. I mean, really now, Christianity COULDN'T have been around before Jesus was here, and we KNOW that there was history before Jesus was (allegedly) born.

Seriously.

This woman is defective. We need to exchange her for a new one.
  • The problem here is that many religious people aren't even educated about the religion they believe in. All this lady seems to know is "Jesus good, Satan bad." How many of them really ever read any version of any bible? How many of those who read it actually have the reading comprehension skills, or even literacy, to understand what they have read? Obviously the answer is not many.

If you're going to believe everything written in some book, at least do yourself a favor and educate yourself. It will be more difficult to make fun of you that way.
  • The problem here is that many religious people aren't even educated about the religion they believe in. All this lady seems to know is "Jesus good, Satan bad." How many of them really ever read any version of any bible? How many of those who read it actually have the reading comprehension skills, or even literacy, to understand what they have read? Obviously the answer is not many.

If you're going to believe everything written in some book, at least do yourself a favor and educate yourself. It will be more difficult to make fun of you that way.
    As a Christian, and being fairly educated in many different religions, I think it's more that the generation of Christians that's in the media needs to leave. I've gone to several high school (even a couple middle school) youth groups that are now starting to stress that you need to know about the other religions so that you can argue with other people about it. Pretty much everybody in the media right now, that say they're a Christian and people listen to, haven't been told that you shouldn't just blindly follow, and don't bother researching at all. This pisses me off to no end, because they give people like me, who care enough to think, a bad name!
  • All this lady seems to know is "Jesus good, Satan bad."
    Home schooled in Jesusland?
  • As a Christian, and being fairly educated in many different religions, I think it's more that the generation of Christians that's in the media needs to leave. I've gone to several high school (even a couple middle school) youth groups that are now starting to stress that you need to know about the other religions so that you can argue with other people about it. Pretty much everybody in the media right now, that say they're a Christian and people listen to, haven't been told that you shouldn't just blindly follow, and don't bother researching at all. This pisses me off to no end, because they give people like me, who care enough to think, a bad name!
    The No True Christian fallacy?
  • If Jesus has always been around then what about that whole old testament thing?
  • I seem to remember Scott having trouble with whether the Greeks, Romans, or Middle Ages came first. :D
  • I seem to remember Scott having trouble with whether the Greeks, Romans, or Middle Ages came first. :D
    It's a lot easier to forgive Scott because (1) that's the only time he's made such a mistake and (2) we know that he has vast and hard-won knowledge and skills in other areas. This woman has made more than one tremendous goof and has displayed no other discernible talent or knowledge.

We're going to see a lot more of this from the home schooled Jesusland crowd in the coming years.
  • Until recently I had a very hard time with the overall sequence of history from a far-out perspective. In school, we learned about history in units. We would do a unit on Rome, than a unit on the middle ages, then a unit on Incas and Mayas, etc. We were never made to memorize years, and the units were not taught in any particular order. Other than obvious things, I have always had a poor conception of the specific sequence of history. It didn't help that in my much younger days my timeline of history was muddied with things that did not happen, like Hebrews escaping from Egypt.

To be honest, I still have trouble with this. Take the Korean War for example. I know all about the Korean war. I know what happened in it, and what it meant. However, I honestly can not tell you the years in which it occurred. I know it happened after WWII, and I'm mostly confident it happened before Vietnam, but that's all I know. My guess is sometime in the '50s, but without Wikipedia to help me, I'm just making an educated guess.

This is just one particular thing I have trouble with, but while I may have trouble, sadly I think I know more than the average person. I definitely know more than this lady. And yes, this lady is an extremely sad case, since she seems to lack even a grasp of elementary school knowledge of science and history. Not only can she not grasp the sequence of history, she also seems to not grasp the events to be sequenced.
  • edited December 2007
    We were never made to memorize years, and the units were not taught in any particular order.
    I have always maintained that this was important to give students perspective. I don't care that they don't like it to begin with. It toughens them up and gives them a firmer grasp on history. If you can believe it, my last teaching experience showed me that there's now a vogue for not teaching multiplication tables. Can you believe it? Sure, it might be a distasteful as castor oil while your doing it, but you need that rigor, goddammit.

It's criminal that they didn't teach you history in order.
    Take the Korean War for example. I know all about the Korean war. I know what happened in it, and what it meant. However, I honestly can not tell you the years in which it occurred. I know it happened after WWII, and I'm mostly confident it happened before Vietnam, but that's all I know. My guess is sometime in the '50s, but without Wikipedia to help me, I'm just making an educated guess.
    It's easier if you lived through it, but if you ever need the onformation for some reason, just remember that it began in Truman's own term, and ended in Ike's first term.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • "We call the heartland not very smart land, IQ's are very low but threat levels are high ...." *wanders off singing Leaving Jesusland*
  • In my opinion, the flow of history, the sequence of events, is more important than the details of the Middle Ages or Rome. I would rather have people know why Rome fell and became medieval Europe than about the Five Good Emperors or the feudal system.