This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doctor Who and Torchwood (now with spoilers!)

1111213141517»

Comments

• I think its just the hip thing to hate on Tennant. Its a meme. ;-)
    Eh. I liked Tennant, when he wasn't being overly dramatic. There's a line he crosses, though, where the story just goes to shit because he's so melodramatic. When he's allowed to be goofy or angry, he's amazing. His only weak points were really when he had to be brooding or angsty, and having to star in any ending written by Davies.
    Funny, I haven't seen all that many Tennant haters about. Most of the Who fans I know gush about him. I don't even really hate him per se -- it's just that he was a letdown after Eccleston. I have gone back and watched a lot of the Tennant episodes I missed on reruns and found him okay, although still not as good as Eccleston or Smith, IMHO.

To be fair, I still rate Eccleston my favorite "new" Doctor.
    Eh. I liked Tennant, when he wasn't being overly dramatic. There's a line he crosses, though, where the story just goes to shit because he's so melodramatic. When he's allowed to be goofy or angry, he's amazing. His only weak points were really when he had to be brooding or angsty, and having to star in any ending written by Davies.
    See, this is where the subjectivity comes in. If you swap "Smith" for "Tennant" in this paragraph, it sums up how I feel. :-)
    Funny, I haven't seen all that many Tennant haters about. Most of the Who fans I know gush about him. I don't even really hate him per se -- it's just that he was a letdown after Eccleston. I have gone back and watched a lot of the Tennant episodes I missed on reruns and found him okay, although still not as good as Eccleston or Smith, IMHO.

To be fair, I still rate Eccleston my favorite "new" Doctor.
    /r/doctorwho is SWARMING with Tennant haters who regularly accuse Tennant fans of being regressive, stupid, bad fans who are stuck in the past and don't give Smith a fair shake.

This is at odds with the other hive-mind meme which gives that Eccleston is the best doctor ever ever ever (mostly because of his short tenure and relative "oldness" among the younger fans, I suspect.)
  • edited October 2012
    /r/doctorwho is SWARMING with Tennant haters who regularly accuse Tennant fans of being regressive, stupid, bad fans who are stuck in the past and don't give Smith a fair shake.

This is at odds with the other hive-mind meme which gives that Eccleston is the best doctor ever ever ever (mostly because of his short tenure and relative "oldness" among the younger fans, I suspect.)
    Oh, that's cause it's Reddit. It's [one of] the Mos Eisley[s] of the Internet. There is nothing on there that is worth a moment of my time.

If I just look at more reasonable segments of the 'net, most people love Tennant.

Me, I just liked Eccleston because of his lonely, dark portrayal of the Doctor. Had nothing to do with his age or shortness of his tenure, although I admit if he had a longer tenure my opinion may have changed.
    Post edited by Dragonmaster Lou on
  • It was better 3 or 4 months ago, but yeah, it's gotten bad.
    /r/doctorwho is shit. My reddit-using friend says /r/gallifrey is OK, though. I've found myself recently avoiding all reddit sections I don't actively moderate, to be honest.
    /r/doctorwho is shit. My reddit-using friend says /r/gallifrey is OK, though. I've found myself recently avoiding all reddit sections I don't actively moderate, to be honest.
    All the ones I moderate have died. Hmmm. ;-)

/r/doctorwho IS pretty bad. It's basically Smith fanboy central, except that they all seem to revere the Eccleston lovers as having some sort of deep understanding of the series (because they like old stuff, I guess.)

/r/breakingbad is a lot better, but still has elements of the same sort of cheese, as it applies to the very different universe of that show.
  • "90% of Reddit is crap. But that's ok, because 90% of everything is crap".

Also, when you end up semi-by-chance being the head moderator of the main Anime community, you tend to have a reason to stick around. :3
    All the ones I moderate have died. Hmmm. ;-)

/r/doctorwho IS pretty bad. It's basically Smith fanboy central, except that they all seem to revere the Eccleston lovers as having some sort of deep understanding of the series (because they like old stuff, I guess.)

/r/breakingbad is a lot better, but still has elements of the same sort of cheese, as it applies to the very different universe of that show.
    I also made about 500 bucks selling badges, thanks to /r/doctorwho, and got the chance to greatly improve someone's year(and ensuring they didn't give up on their dream) by pretending to be the Doctor for one package. I can't say much bad about them.

• /r/doctorwho is the only place on reddit outside of /r/funny that I've actually been called a "stupid faggot" in total earnest by some regular contributor.
  • *snrk*

• Well, to the episode's benefit, it was easily the best episode this season.

Mind you, that's kinda like calling Aquaman the best water based superhero.