This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doctor Who and Torchwood (now with spoilers!)

Comments

• How come something would stop him from regenerating?
    We never see her after the incident, so the damage must have been rather severe. Her head probably just disintegrated, so I suppose there would have been no chance to regenerate if the doctor did it.
  • edited June 2008
    A time lord can regenerate 12 time before permanently dying. This current version is #10. So this next regeneration would be second to last.

Now this being said they're have been exceptions. The Time Lord Council did give the master an another chance (twice). Also given his unique genetic makeup it is not known if he indeed will be subject to this limitation. Also Time Lords can enter stats of coma to regenerate themselves without changing. This does not count against their limit on regenerative lives.
    How come something would stop him from regenerating?
    There are ways to prevent regeneration. A time lord can themselves stop the process (as seen by the "supposed" death of the Master). Massive amounts of damage can cause it to abort, although there is a medical room in the tardis that can prevent death and continue the regeneration process.
    Post edited by Tasel on
  • If they want to keep going they'll keep going. The 12 regeneration limit was only introduced halfway through the old series to justify making the Master look like Skeletor. Now that Gallifrey's gone they could change it and no-one would care. Who writers have never been particularly constrained by their own canon.
  • Also Time Lords can enter stats of coma to regenerate themselves without changing. This does not count against their limit on regenerative lives.
    So that explains Jenny's "resurrection". Thanks!
  • Bad Wolf is back along with a super cross over :D
  • I first watched Doctor Who this past weekend. WHY DIDN'T I WATCH THIS SHOW SOONER!

I can't remember all the names of the episodes I watched but the one that sorta creeped me out was called Blink.

Needless to say I hate angel statues now.
  • edited June 2008
    I first watched Doctor Who this past weekend. WHY DIDN'T I WATCH THIS SHOW SOONER!

I can't remember all the names of the episodes I watched but the one that sorta creeped me out was called Blink.

Needless to say I hate angel statues now.
    So, how many episodes have you watch since last weekend?
    Also, Blink was a fantastic episode wait until you watch "Turn Left". All the Dr. Who episodes in which The Doctor barely appears are good. Yeah people I liked "Love and Monsters"!
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Also, Blink was a fantastic episode wait until you watch "Turn Left". All the Dr. Who episodes in which The Doctor barely appears are good. Yeah people I liked "Love and Monsters"!
    Personally "Love and Monsters" wasn't that good. It was an interesting look at Jackie's life but it was made up for with Blink and Turn Left. Any Steven Moffat episode (Empty Child/Doctor Dances, The Girl in the Fire Place, Blink, Silence in the Library/The Forest of the Dead) will be good in my opinion. But this seems to be the close of pretty long story arc. We have to wait until 2010 for the next season and Steven Moffat will be taking over as head writer. I think though that this series (all four) is hard to get into for people since they make so many references (i.e. Bad Wolf this week). I enjoy it since I am a bit of a fanboy but it isn't good for people who might want to get into it. Could someone else comment on that if they started in the middle.
  • Has anyone been watching the spin-off show with the Doctor's former assistant? I can't recall the name but she runs around with a couple of kids saving the world.
  • Has anyone been watching the spin-off show with the Doctor's former assistant? I can't recall the name but she runs around with a couple of kids saving the world.
    You mean Sarah Jane adventures. I watched if and I quite liked it. You could tell it was aimed at a younger audience but it didn't feel to dumbed down. It was also nice to see the Slitheen again.
    It was also nice to see the Slitheen again.
    The first time it was nice. I don't care for the way they have become the recurring villain.

My wife likes the show but it bugs me on some level. Maybe because it depicts a middle aged woman living alone in a big house hanging around with school kids? If it were a guy playing that role the word "pedophile" would come to mind.

What's the deal with the young girl? Are those her parents? Are they divorced? Is it her step-mother?
  • What's the deal with the young girl? Are those her parents? Are they divorced? Is it her step-mother?
    Its her mom and her parents are divorced. Her mom just drops by from time to time.
  • Time Crash Special
    That's one of the things I hate about watching Dr. Who from the US. You miss out on all the cute little episodes. Granted then there's the whole being 3-4 weeks behind. Thank goodness for the web. (Although for the record "my Doctor" was Tom Baker.)

From my count the 4th (Tom Baker), 5th (Peter Davison), 6th (Colin Baker), 7th (Sylvester McCoy), 8th (Paul McGann), 9th (Christopher Eccleston) and of course 10th (David Tennant) Doctors are all still alive. Could make one hell of an episode. Reminiscent of the old 5 Doctors muti-part.
  • I started watching when Christopher Eccleston was the Doctor, but I like David Tennant better.
  • Time Crash Special
    That's one of the things I hate about watching Dr. Who from the US. You miss out on all the cute little episodes. Granted then there's the whole being 3-4 weeks behind. Thank goodness for the web. (Although for the record "my Doctor" was Tom Baker.)
    It's easy enough to get Doctor Who the week it comes out in England. There are lots of torrents out there. It's how my family and I get it. It was much worse in past seasons but now it's simultaneous. Maybe next season it will be at the same time.
    From my count the 4th (Tom Baker), 5th (Peter Davison), 6th (Colin Baker), 7th (Sylvester McCoy), 8th (Paul McGann), 9th (Christopher Eccleston) and of course 10th (David Tennant) Doctors are all still alive. Could make one hell of an episode. Reminiscent of the old 5 Doctors muti-part.
    It would not be surprised to see something like that for the 50th anniversary coming up in a few years. I just hope that everyone would come back unlike for the 20th anniversary special (The 5 Doctors). I would love to see a 10 Doctors episode.
  • Does anyone knows why the sound of the word bee (bea) is the connection of this season?
    Is Donna going to see the heart of the TARDIS too?
  • So, the doctor dies? Really? What is up with that?
    And we have no previews, but from the previous episodes we see that Dr. Song says that the Doctor only have a new suit and a different hair cut.
  • <<font color="#FFFFFF">I read that the guy who plays the current Doctor had signed-up for several specials: Possible spoiler link. Maybe he's not leaving the show. But, considering how badly they handled Eccleston's departure, they may be willing to flat-out lie to protect a secret.>
  • Yeah, I know that. But I have heard that back on December there were rumors that the next Doctor might be a woman. But they put a big "To be continue" after the episode which makes me think that they were teasing us making us feel that he will regenerate but maybe he will suppress it. If I remember well he got hit by the dalek in a weird way. If they shoot you the laser will hit you and stay there but this time it went through him. So It makes me think that maybe that beam barely touched him (but I think it just went through one of his hearts).
  • Captain Jack is there so it might make things interesting to say the least. I would hate to see Tennant leave even though he has been with the show for a while now. Yeah but they are filming the specials already with him. I can't imagine this not getting out to some degree.
  • It's easy enough to get Doctor Who the week it comes out in England. There are lots of torrents out there. It's how my family and I get it. It was much worse in past seasons but now it's simultaneous. Maybe next season it will be at the same time.
    Yea, I'm using SurftheChanel to catch up. was quite nice watching 4 episodes back to back.

As for "Spoilers":
    • Eccleston was only setup for a one season shot. That was part of the original contract if I remember right. They asked him about that when he left. (I forget the source on that and will try to find it).
    • This Doctor's "regeneration". Some things to consider. There are quite a number of oddities with the Medusa Cascade: It's out of sync, It was sealed (by the doctor himself) from Space time, it's inaccessible from the outside universe (by normal conventions), among other things. Add t that this is the first time The Doctor has attempted a regeneration after absorbing the heart of the TARDIS. This doctor's regenerated form is a direct result of that absorption. Given these things (as well as the Spoiler mention in the previous post link), It's more likely the energies being sent out are related to these factors, instead of a true "time-lord regeneration".
  • The 'Doctor becomes a woman' rumours have come out every single time since number 4 or 5. It'll never happen.
    On a different note: holy shit.
  • If you're not caught up on the show, stop reading this thread. Somebody's going to screw up the spoiler tags eventually. I mean it!
  • Is there a way to change the title to include spoilers? Or perhaps its time we should just start a new thread for spoilers. Maybe "Future" Dr. Who.
  • Is Donna going to see the heart of the TARDIS too?
    I'm kinda curious where they're going to go with Donna. She's been told, repeatedly, two things by numerous people.

1) She is the most important woman in the universe. Now this might have already been wrapped up by the whole Dr. Who dead episode (not a spoiler as it already aired a while back... at least that's the theory I'm going on here). But there might be more. He also mentions that it was odd he kept bumping into her. Couple times, he met her, plus her grand-dad, and her mum. They're definitely pushing her to be something big. Probably way bigger than just doing what Rose did.
    2)Everyone is sorry for her loss. Apparently this does not mean something trivial, like a death of a friend. Everyone acts way more somber than that. It also apparently does not mean Earth being stolen, as she was told this after that had happened, and they responded negatively. "No, to your future loss".

So that being said any ideas what the deal with Donna is? I'm half guessing (and hoping cause it would be rather fascinating) that somehow she's the Dr.'s mum. She doesn't seem to be the "in-love" interest type companion that so many of this run's actress are. She almost treats him like a brother or at times a mom. The only downside would be the "loss" part. Could it mean the loss of the doctor (when she and the entire Time Lord race dies in the Time War)...

But enough of my fan-boy ramblings. What do all you think?
  • Is there a way to change the title to include spoilers?
    Done.
  • Sweet, no more white text!
  • At the beginning of the season I was hopping for Donna to be the Rani.:P
  • I just realized that the final episode of this season is going to be 65 minutes long, which is awesome. I am really at a lost when it comes to the end of this season I really do not know what is it gonna happe. So in the mean time I am gonna watch "The Dalek invasion to Earth" :D
  • BWAH??? So, if I understand the last episode correctly it changes the Doctor's cannon? Or does the movie now official not count? I thought the movie was considered canon as he drew his "movie" self in his notebook.

Note- I'm being vague on purpose as it only aired earlier today.