This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doctor Who and Torchwood (now with spoilers!)

Comments

• I just finished watching the first episode of Children of Earth. It was pretty good.
    Jealousy! I has it.
  • I like Primeval. It's not exactly a deep show, and it is definitely has a monster of the week formula, but it is entertaining. I'm sure there are better shows to bring over but I still like it.
    I'm excited for a new doctor but it just seems one season too soon. I also want to see more development with Riversong. I just don't know how they will do it since it doesn't seem like they can fit it into one of the specials. In teh episodes it seems like it was only the 10th doctor who she knew so they may have to make it into a novel or comic mini-series if they want to finish this story.
  • edited July 2009
    People like what they like. I just can't get into it at all. To me (and this is just my personal opinion on the show, not an indictment on anyone that likes it) it comes off as bland and insipid. I like the premise, but the dialogue comes across like an afternoon soap opera. The part that cinched it for me was a longer-than-necessary scene in the pilot where a cartoonish CG flying reptile got away from the what appear to be befuddled biologists studying it. It then flies around the super-secret facility and into the elevator where it bobs its head in time with the elevator music. This scene could have worked if the show took a more humorous tone in general and if the scene was shorter.
    I've gone backed and watched parts of episodes here and there, because (as I said) I like the premise. Each time I do it is just more soap opera dialogue with minor focus on the science fiction aspects. Maybe I am missing the good bits or maybe it just isn't FOR me.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I just finished watching the first episode of Children of Earth. It was pretty good.
    Jealousy! I has it.
    Torrent?

I tried Primevil recently. It just didn't seem like a good show to me. It didn't catch me.
  • edited July 2009
    Torrent?
    Nope, I am waiting to see it in HD on my nice TV when I get back from Iceland. I want the full on Captain Jack experience!
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • I want the full on Captain Jack experience!
    There is only one Captain Jack. image
    I've seen all of it. It was very good. Moral dilemmas galore...
  • Still doesn't beat the first episode of the last Torchwood series which had Captain Jack playing tonsil hockey with Spike.
  • Torrent?
    Nope, I am waiting to see it in HD on my nice TV when I get back from Iceland. I want the full on Captain Jack experience!
    Well, I'm getting 720p torrents of the episodes, which I will watch on my 24" computer screen.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2009
    I want the full on Captain Jack experience!
    There is only one Captain Jack.image
    Um no Rym...just no or should I say Captain He Who Has Not Seen Doctor Who. Watch it and you'll see why we like Captain Jack Harkness so much.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • Um no Rym...just no
    Captain Jack was an amazing musician who met a tragic end. Your television "Captain Jack" can't hold a candle to him. ;^)
  • I've watched all 5 episodes of Children of Earth now.
    So very bleak.
  • I've watched all 5 episodes ofChildren of Earthnow.
    So very bleak.
    I am pretty sure that was what RTD was going for.
  • Um no Rym...just no
    Captain Jack was an amazing musician who met a tragic end. Yourtelevision"Captain Jack" can't hold a candle to him. ;^)
    Actually, he is exactly the kind of character you would like. He is a time traveling, debonair, dashing, bi-sexual, handsome, well dressed, ass-kicking dandy.
  • Um no Rym...just no
    Captain Jack was an amazing musician who met a tragic end. Yourtelevision"Captain Jack" can't hold a candle to him. ;^)
    Actually, he is exactly the kind of character you would like. He is a time traveling, debonair, dashing, bi-sexual, handsome, well dressed, ass-kicking dandy.
    I would say that he is omni-sexual.
    I finished watching the series on Saturday. I really do not know what is going to happen to Torchwood after Children of Earth. I am not sure if Gwen can handle whatever will happen next and I am not sure what will happen with Captain Jack.
  • Just saw Day 1 with my dad in the room. He kept interrupting it to ask questions (doesn't like Dr. Who so he knows little). When Jack and Ianto kiss, he looked straight at me and said, "If I ever see you do that, you'll get it 'tween the eyes."

Other than my father ruining what's left of my opinion of him, I enjoyed the show very much. Is it just me, or is this seeming to be a Childhood's End type of scenario?
  • I like Primeval. It's not exactly a deep show, and it is definitely has a monster of the week formula, but it is entertaining. I'm sure there are better shows to bring over but I still like it.
    I'm excited for a new doctor but it just seems one season too soon. I also want to see more development with Riversong. I just don't know how they will do it since it doesn't seem like they can fit it into one of the specials. In teh episodes it seems like it was only the 10th doctor who she knew so they may have to make it into a novel or comic mini-series if they want to finish this story.
    You seem to fail to understand what is a like what, AND PRIMEVAL IS NOT ON THE SAME LEVEL AS DOCTOR WHO. Thank You for listening to this public service announcement
  • edited July 2009
    Primevil = bad TV, IMHO.

Speaking of sci-fi shows, Has anyone watched True Blood on HBO? I just saw the first episode, and am interested enough to watch another.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • We watch First Blood at home. I don't consider it sci-fi just because it contains supernatural creatures. To me it's a mystery/romance show.
  • New Doctor, new fashion :O
    imageNew Doctor, new fashion :O
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2009
    New Doctor, new fashion :O
    imageNew Doctor, new fashion :O
    Um...yeah...what's your point? We know a new Doctor is coming in, but what are you trying to get? Did his first episode happen yet?!
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited July 2009
    I think this is what he was getting at:
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I thinkthisis what he was getting at:
    Were those labels really necessary? Thank you, BBC, but I know what a bow-tie is. That image looks like it was taken from a kindergarten classroom.
  • edited July 2009
    I was trying to put a picture on my previous post but my computer at my work died on me when I tried to fix it. I have no idea who the second sentence came to be :O
    Also,new blue box is too blue :S
    But at least we get to see River :D
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • About to geek out over costuming in 3, 2, 1: Wow, his outfit is drab and not at all whimsical! I like the tweed jack, but the shirt, trousers (complete with 1990's cuffs - I don't care if they are coming back, they look awful), boots, suspenders and tie (who knew a bow tie could be so pathetically dull) with his ghostly complexion and washed out hair tone make him look like an extra that absolutely does not want to stand out. It is really disappointing from a show that has consistently delivered a light touch with whimsical costuming. The actual pieces on their own are fine, but together in such bland (and downright ugly) colors and patterns create the impression that this Doctor will be a yawn fest. I actually feel badly for the actor as he will have to overcome such a blunder with an over-the-top performance that will make David Tennant look like a Zen Buddhist.
  • edited July 2009
    Well, we still haven't seen any promo pictures of Series 5. I mean for most of the first episode of David Tennant ("Christmas Invasion"), The Doctor wore a robe and pajamas. This just might be a joke that Steven Moffat is playing on the fans or it would pretty well be the Doctor's next outfit. So far Steven Moffat has written pretty good stuff. Any fans of coupling out there?

Good times :D
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • About to geek out over costuming in 3, 2, 1: Wow, his outfit is drab and not at all whimsical! I like the tweed jack, but the shirt, trousers (complete with 1990's cuffs - I don't care if they are coming back, they look awful), boots, suspenders and tie (who knew a bow tie could be so pathetically dull) with his ghostly complexion and washed out hair tone make him look like an extra that absolutely does not want to stand out. It is really disappointing from a show that has consistently delivered a light touch with whimsical costuming. The actual pieces on their own are fine, but together in such bland (and downright ugly) colors and patterns create the impression that this Doctor will be a yawn fest. I actually feel badly for the actor as he will have to overcome such a blunder with an over-the-top performance that will make David Tennant look like a Zen Buddhist.
    It could be worse.
  • The Doctor now looks like a geography teacher.
  • Just finished watching Children of Earth. Overall, I thought it was incredibly entertaining.
    Question, and I apologize if this is common knowledge to everyone else: Is this the end for Torchwood? Will it continue? If so, will Captain Jack still be a main character?