This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Wii-Zapper

edited September 2007 in Video Games

It is set for a November release. I have posted my thoughts here. Synopsis = No buy. Looks like Wii Play without a piece of hardware worth owning. What do they rest of you think?

Comments

• Zapper + Resident Evil = Awesome.
  • Zapper + Resident Evil = Awesome.
  • Damn, I'd hit that! <3

...AKA, I want one. Badly. Horribly. =D And that way I can learn how to shoot people! Because that's -so- releastic!
  • I think it just depends on if enough games make use of it soon enough to make the purchase worth it.
  • I still see this thing as limiting your abilty to create a real cool game. Because of the way you are holding you are only using one button on the wii-remote!
  • I actually heard that Resident Evil: UC is better with the just the remote and numchuck. I can't remember what podcast I heard it on, but they said it was a bit annoying using the zapper to move.
  • I actually heard that Resident Evil: UC is better with the just the remote and numchuck. I can't remember what podcast I heard it on, but they said it was a bit annoying using the zapper to move.
    yeah but isn't the plan to package zapper shell and RE:UC together? Personally I like the pistol style shell that I've seen over this one. That one allows the chuk to be separate or attached.

I'm thinking a shotgun shell would be the most useful because you would be able to grip forward on the gun and access the top buttons on the wiimote more easily. Make it an actual attachment for the Wiimote and I'd be sold. I think that's the biggest issue here...this is just a shell...it serves virtually no purpose. A real gun shell should actually have buttons and things built in such that you attach the wiimote...kind of like the GH3 guitar.
  • I wouldn't get this, for pretty much the same reasons that have been brought up.  It's simply a plastic shell and doesn't add anything to the playability.
  • I wouldn't get this, for pretty much the same reasons that have been brought up. It's simply a plastic shell and doesn't add anything to the playability.

This is my initial reaction as well. The plastic zapper holder doesn't add anything to the gameplay. In fact, it reduces your options. There's no reason you can't play Link's crossbow training with just the Wiimote on its own. I think a lot of people will be doing just that. The wiimote is not like the original NES light gun. You can't use it like a gun with sights. It's a relative pointing device, like a mouse, not an absolute pointing device, like a laser tag gun. The Wii Zapper doesn't add any functionality besides the feeling that you are holding a gun.
  • It's just a cheap bit of plastic. Expect to see cheap ripoffs in every game shop bargain bin soon.
    I will probably justify it to myself as getting a Zelda game with a free plastic thing.
  • Allow me to play Devil's Advocate for a moment.
    With the Zapper attachment you'll be able to steady the Wii-mote much more easily. I imagine the games built for the Zapper may require more accurate shooting, of course I could be wrong.
    I'm not planing on buying one, but I can see how you could bennefit from the Zapper.