This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

SurfControl

edited September 2007 in Technology
My employer recently announced that they will be implementing SurfControl to monitor internet usage. Is anyone familiar with this program? I poked around their website a little. My main question is whether or not it just blocks webpages, or if it does more monitoring of usage than that. (Wikipedia only talks about access restriction.)

I have no problem with restricting access and/or monitoring, I just want to know what the extent will be.

Comments

• I don't know anything about this particular program. All I can do is research it on Google, which you can do yourself. What I can tell you is that very often these web filtering programs are highly configurable. How much is blocked depends entirely on how much blocking your company decides on, and not what program they use to do it.
  • Well, I guess most of the time the problem with blockage comes down to how many proxies are blocked. I wonder if there ever will or is a program which actually monitors the in and out coming data, interprets it and chooses if it is conform to the employers restrictions. Any other method is an annoyance and not more.

Just look at the technical information, amused me quite a bit when I first read it.
  • What sort of company do you work for?