This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Digg Social Community

edited September 2007 in Technology
I've been browsing Digg since January of '05 and I never really payed too much attention to the comments until the past six months or so. I've noticed that the majority of comments on particular kinds of stories seem to follow the same pattern. It seems to me that the vast majority of commenters on political stories already form their opinion about an issue based on the headline before looking at both sides of the story, and proceed to comment on the story. It is these very same people who are always talking about thinking for one's self when it comes to religion. Why are these political issues any different? Why do they not require similar thought and contemplation? Is it perhaps because it is easier just to spew "Fuck bush"? I think so. It also seems that a good number of users like to blow things way out of proportion. Take a look at the recent incident of the college student who was tasered because he had previously been disruptive. They turn this around and say that America is becoming a police state, which simply is not true. These were the actions of a few campus police, and yet these actions suddenly mean that this is how police around the country are treating people? Certainly not.

Another thing that irks me is the sense of entitlement that a good number of digg feel when it comes to pirating music. I do not have any income at the moment, and I may or may not pirate music. However, hypothetically, lets say I do pirate music. I know that what I am doing is against the law, and it should be. Artists put large amounts of time and effort into their work, and they deserve to be compensated just like any other worker. While I may not agree with the RIAA and the tactics of various record companies, it does not entitle me to steal an artist's music. I've seen a growing number of stories as of late that compare pirating music to good-natured sharing. This is simply untrue. One of these stories is a video involves a magic cookie that seems to make numerous copies of itself. These cookies seemingly come from nowhere, while music on the other hand does not. Another story was a comic proposing that pirating music is just like how children share. However, when one child gives his toy to another child, he does not retain a copy of that toy.

It seems to me that the majority of commenters post things so as to seem intelligent and opinionated; when in reality, they really aren't.

What are your thoughts on the various parts of the Digg social community?

Comments

• Digg is good and somewhat acceptable when it comes to random web surfing, also if you customize the articles things will get really efficient, however the newly introduced myspace/facebook interface of the profiles seems overdone. Why couldn't have digg taken the time to improve their podcast beta? How come that there is still some remaining glitches in the comment and video section? I do realize that they probably have people working on those pages, however it seems like Digg is changing course in many ways recently.
  • You have only just now that the vast majority of people, on the web and off, completely lack the skills of critical thinking and logical reasoning. Congratulations.
  • You have only just now that the vast majority of people, on the web and off, completely lack the skills of critical thinking and logical reasoning. Congratulations.
    I've been aware of that for quite some time, however I suppose I just thought that I would expect something different from digg, as the comments from a long time ago were actually insightful and constrictive. Digg used to attract people with more than half a brain, much like geeknights does now.
  • edited September 2007
    Digg Slashdot used to attract people with more than half a brain...
    The reason the comments a long time ago on Digg were "insightful and constructive" and such is because many of the people posting were migrating from Slashdot.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • DiggSlashdotused to attract people with more than half a brain...The reason the comments a long time ago on Digg were "insightful and constructive" and such is because many of the people posting were migrating from Slashdot.

So, the natural question is: where are all those people now?
    It seems reasonable to say that most of them aren't on Digg anymore.  Have they all gone to smaller sites like this one?  Where are they?
  • So, the natural question is: where are all those people now?
    Here.
  • You have only just now that the vast majority of people
    There's a "realized" in there. (not trying to be snarky, just bugged me, that is all)

I think Scrym's idea of of a representative democratic site would be good until someone comes along and deliberately starts putting up digg like posts with the aim of getting popular. Although, conversely, I could see it attracting a lot of the top digg submitters as they would get greater recognition.