This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

If you're planning on getting Halo 3, WAIT!!!

edited September 2007 in Video Games
Right now it is 1:48 here in California and I just got back from a Halo 3 release event. Watching the crowd I noticed a good percentage of people opened their games before leaving the mall, and wouldn't you know it most of them were scratched. Right now for the people who are eager to get this game my advice to you would be to wait till Dec to get it. Even though you won't be the first wave of people to play it trust me when I say that right now the only people you would deal with are assholes, and those people who like to scream "FAG" while playing. If you wait till Dec then your probably going to be better off. So if you already got it, and didn't have a problem then cool but if your going out to buy it right now then just wait. Your probably going to have to either way anyways.
Discussion topic edited to correct spelling.  -Mr. P.

Comments

• I say that right now the only people you would deal with are assholes, and those people who like to scream "FAG" while playing
    You really think that's going to change? This is Halo we're talking about here.

If you are playing a game on teh Internets, 99.9% of everyone you play with is going to be an asshole.
  • I feel like I'm sort of a weird minority considering I have a 360, but don't give a shit about Halo 3 and probably will never buy it.

Also on a similar note, I couldn't have been more disappointed in CNN international when I saw them talking about Halo 3 yesterday. They get one hour on CNN a day, and I expect actual news reporting from them about the world, not reinforcing Microsoft propaganda.
  • *laughs.*

Do you really think said assholes won't be playing Halo 3 in December?

*continues laughing*

It's the internet. TheWhaleShark's linked image explains the rest.
  • Agreed. When I first played Halo online I found out the hard way. At least I pwn'd most of them.
  • Put CDs and DVDs in sandwich bags! stops them from scratching and takes up minimal room.
    Laser discs had the right idea (I saw one for the first time on Sunday, so big and shiny!) where you have a cardboard sleeve then polythene sleeve inside of that.
  • Agreed. When I first played Halo online I found out the hard way. At least I pwn'd most of them.
    Atta girl! Haha.
  • edited September 2007
    At least now you can change the communication settings to only hear friends and those in your party. I wish more games had this option.
    Post edited by snookernet on
  • I still love the old Halo for PC because there was no shitty aim bot and the majority of people on servers played maturely or they would get their asses kicked by admins.
    The problem is, you're dealing with consoles.  There is a much wider demographic in the console gamer's population with a heavy weighting on teenagers that may or may not be spoiled.  When compared to PC gamers who for the majority of the time build their own machines are older or more mature.
    I'm just waiting to see if Microsoft will let PC gamers play Xbox gamers, I'd buy the game just to absolutely pwn console gamers.  I think this idea was being juggled, even, at the early inception of Halo 2 but they withdrew the idea when they wanted to push the Xbox 360.
  • I say that right now the only people you would deal with are assholes, and those people who like to scream "FAG" while playing
    You really think that's going to change? This is Halo we're talking about here.
    No not really lol. If anything I just think it's funny as hell that when a lot of those assholes do get home they are going to find that they just spent $60 or 100 on a scratched disc that can't be replaced till Dec which is a quote I heard from one of the clerks. Plus I actually talked to some of these people in line. -.- Holy shit are they well... What TheWhaleShark posted pretty much covers it all. Hopefully I do get my 360 back before The Orange Box comes out. ::crys.:: Fucking red ring of death!!!!!!
  • I was going to wait till Dec. anyway to get my 360 and Halo 3. Good thing I stuck to that plan.
  • If anything I just think it's funny as hell that when a lot of those assholes do get home they are going to find that they just spent $60 or 100 on a scratched disc that can't be replaced till Dec which is a quote I heard from one of the clerks.
    It's only happening with the limited edition ones. The metal cases were defective.
  • No not really lol. If anything I just think it's funny as hell that when a lot of those assholes do get home they are going to find that they just spent $60 or 100 on a scratched disc that can't be replaced till Dec which is a quote I heard from one of the clerks.
    Not quite, according to kotaku "The good news is Microsoft will be offering free replacements of both the game and Essentials discs until December 31st." Source
  • This is slightly off topic but I figure it's more appropriate than starting a new topic.

I have a question... I've played Halo only a few times in the past. It wasn't fun, I died a lot and was frustrated with the game immensely. I just got back from a friend's house where we played Halo 3 for a few hours and it didn't seem like they changed a damn thing. I was having no fun, was confused by most of the things happening around me and was just frustrated with the controls. Is there something wrong with me or the game? I realize that yes, maybe it's just not the game for me but there must be something I'm missing...

I'm not that big of an FPS-er but I remember having a ton of fun playing Quake II and even Goldeneye... Everyone's going nuts over Halo 3, why?!
  • Following Metroid's comment, I played Halo on PC a while back and I found it fun, but nothing amazing that everyone seemed to say it was. I participated in the Halo 3 multiplayer beta on Xbox live, and I found it to be alright. It was fun sometimes, but the controls were pretty annoying. I got used to them, and pretty good with them actually, but they were always rather annoying. Mostly because I think Halo is very much a twitch game, and so having console controls really slows you down a lot.
  • I'm not that big of an FPS-er but I remember having a ton of fun playing Quake II and even Goldeneye... Everyone's going nuts over Halo 3, why?!
    If you haven't played a modern FPS, there have been a lot of advancements since the Q2 and GE days. Halo is basically Goldeneye with all the upgrades other games pioneered before them. The reason it's so popular, however, is it's a lot of peoples first FPS. I mean a LOT. For those of us that grew up through the dawn of FPSs, Halo really ain't nothing special.
    Mostly because I think Halo is very much a twitch game, and so having console controls really slows you down a lot.
    Halo is not a twitch game. It's way too slow, even on the computer to be a twitch game.
  • I know this will sounds n00bish, but what's a twitch game?

I will agree on the comment that it's popular because it's a lot of peoples first FPS. Most of the people I know who play Halo never touched another FPS.

When I first played Halo I hated it because it was confusing and I was playing with better, faster, douche people. When my ex-BF and brother taught me how to play later on was when I got good at it. Now I've gained the ability to pwn. Anyways it takes a while to get used to or learn the controls. The most confusing to me I've seen was Gears of War.
  • I know this will sounds n00bish, but what's a twitch game?
    Wikipedia comes to the rescue. Readers Digest: the pace of the game is such that stuff pops out of nowhere (either though hidden enemies like Doom or stupid fast game play like Unreal Tournament) and the faster you 'twitch' to get it, the better you are at the game.

I don't think Halo falls under this category because the game play is so slow you always see everything coming. Halo 2 is a little bit closer to the "shit coming at you in the dark" kinda thing Doom has but it just isn't even close. It's like sharks circling you; dangerous but you have tons of time to see them coming.
  • Halo... a twitch game? Never. Honestly, the game play in Halo is really pretty slow. Just like cosmicenema said, it's like sharks coming at you. It's generally pretty easy to pwnz things once you get the hang of it.

Although Halo can be mildly entertaining, it's a better group game than it is a solo one. I enjoyed playing it at my friends house with a lot of people around to make it fun, but when I played it alone it was teh suck.
  • My Halo 3 is fine. It wasn't scratched, it was pretty and shiny!
  • Although Halo can be mildly entertaining, it's a better group game than it is a solo one. I enjoyed playing it at my friends house with a lot of people around to make it fun, but when I played it alone it was teh suck.
    This is the other reason it became so popular. We used to have Halo night at college with four XBoxs and at least 12 people (sometimes up to 16). It was so much easier than getting as many people in a LAN party so it became the default popular game to play.
  • I bought my copy yesterday morning and played for about 9 hours straight and I'm loving it (took a vacation day). I think I'm close to the end as I played the campaign most of the time, but I did try the MP and it was good too. My disc wasn't scratched at all.
  • edited September 2007
    My roommate beat the game last night; he got it in the afternoon. Why are games so fucking short? I remember when it was actually a feat to beat a game like Mario 3. Just once I wish they would make a game that actually required you to put effort into it to beat it. Also, he played it on legendary.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • For those of us who work, shorter games are a godsend. Plus with all the online multiplayer games and the Forge stuff it looks like Halo3 has plenty of replay value.
  • edited September 2007
    My roommate beat the game last night; he got it in the afternoon. Why are games so fucking short? I remember when it was actually a feat to beat a game like Mario 3. Just once I wish they would make a game that actually required you to put effort into a game to beat it. Also, he played it on legendary.
    It was a feat to beat Mario 3 because you couldn't save. If you got game over, it was back to the beginning with you. If you couldn't do it in one sitting, back to the beginning with you. Try playing Mario 3 on the SNES or on the GBA where saving is an option. Beating it becomes much less amazing.

Also, modern 3d games are very short because they are complex. Think about how long it took the Valve people to make just one TF2 map. Now expand that to think about how long it took to make HL2. Not just the maps, but the bad guys, the scripts, everything. With it being so complex to create the game and test it, they can't product a large quantity of content in a short amount of time. They also can't fit that much content on a single disc or in a reasonably sized download. Not even an HD-DVD or Blu-Ray can hold enough.

The last reason games are short and beatable is the most obvious. Go take a peek at the angry video game nerd videos. See how gamers were back in the day? They were frustrating and difficult to epic proportions. Most people didn't even realize that beating them was an option. This insane difficulty and frustration made games very inaccessible to most people. Nowadays games are more intuitive, the controls don't suck ass, and everyone is trying their best to beat it. The games actually have some sort of narration or map, so you know where to go next. Imagine if Zelda 1, Metroid 1, or Dr. Chaos had a map or narrator to help you find the next place to go.

They make games today easier, beatable, more intuitive, and less frustrating. They do this because it means the games will be more fun, and will be more accessible to a wider audience. The side effect is that if you have skill, you will beat the games very quickly, and will not be challenged very much. This is why hardcore people stick to multiplayer games like Counter-Strike. That is where the challenge lies.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Eight hours is still way too short for a game.
  • Eight hours is still way too short for a game.
    Yeah, that is kind of ridiculous. But like Apreche said, it does take a lot of time to make these games, and they're trying to make them easier for a larger audience.

The longest game I've ever played was an old four-disk on the original Playstation. That came out about 9(?) years ago. I haven't played a longer game since then.
  • A four disk game that wasn't a FF title?
  • edited September 2007
    A four disk game that wasn't a FF title?
    Wing Commander 4 for the PC was 6 CD-ROMS.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • A four disk game that wasn't a FF title?
    Wing Commander 4for the PC was 6 CD-ROMS.
    Got damn!