This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ask Rym & Scott - Tuesday Gaming

Comments

• Why is the status of not being able to cast spells known as "silence"?
    You can't cast spells if you can't talk.

What one thing would you do to make video games better as a whole?
  • What is the most inventive game that you have ever played?

Do you think it is allowable and should be legal for people to modify the firmware of handhelds such as the PSP and the DS?

What, in your honest opinion, is the saddest gaming moment ever?
  • Why is the status of not being able to cast spells known as "silence"?
    You can't cast spells if you can't talk.
    Miiiiiisssster Anderssson.

Dear Nostrodumbass: Please predict, with your best use of imagination, where gaming will be in 100 years. Or will technological advances make it completely unrecognizable?
  • What are your opinions on those other non-BW games Luke Crane recommended? I think he mentioned Lacuna, Kill Puppies for Satan... the rest escape me at the moment.

What is your favorite out-of-the-box tabletop RPG setting (without consideration of the actual mechanics associated with using it)?

Have you guys ever played a non-grid miniatures game (like Warhammer or Warmachine), and if so how was your experience?
  • What PC hardware currently out there for gaming do you think is the best bang for your buck?

How low do your FPS's or how much lag in games do you guys think you need before it's time to upgrade your computer?

What are your favorite MODs for popular games?
  • Do you guys think that renting video games is a profitable enterprise?
  • I purchased a copy of Wario Ware for the Wii based on all of the hype you guys were spouting prior to it's release. Will you give me a refund for my wasted money?
  • I like Wario Ware for the Wii. Maybe it has something more to do with whom you are playing. I've heard from people who have played the prior Wario Ware games that this iteration of it is pretty bad. I've never played those, so I don't know how it compares.
  • I've heard from people who have played the prior Wario Ware games that this iteration of it is pretty bad. I've never played those, so I don't know how it compares.
    Wario Ware Wii has zero skill involved.  The multi-player modes are mostly random and end too quickly.  You can win the majority of the microgames simply by shaking the wiimote.
  • Getting back to the original topic, what elements does it take to make an enjoyable game? In other words, why is X-Com: UFO Defense a better game than Lair? (Or is it not a better game?)
  • Hey Rym and Scott, why the hell do you guys think everyone stopped playing pogymenas?
  • Hey Rym and Scott, why the hell do you guys think everyone stopped playing pogymenas?
    Speak for yourself! I would have to hazard a guess that I was the driving force behind the Pokemon topics on the forums and when I stopped everyone else also stopped. The same thing will likely happen with TF2. If Rym and Scott stop talking about how awesome the game is or move on to another game TF2 discussion will also die off.

Wasn't there another game that was being hosted on the GN server a while back? Tower Defense or something? Once it stopped being talked about it just faded away.
  • Battle of Wesnoth?
  • Battle of Wesnoth?
    That was the one.
  • What's the worst game you've ever paid for?
  • Has one of you guys ever owned and used a Tamagotchi? (spelling)

If so did you have any good scores or stories worth mentioning?
  • Ok i will try and keep this question short.

Question: If money and resources were no object and you were tasked with making a video game EXACTLY as you want it, what would it be like?
    (i.e. Platform (Xbox360, ps3, Wii, PC)? Genre? Character designs? Play style? Special features? etc.)

Follow up question: If you then had to change the game so it has mass market appeal, would you change anything, if so what?
  • Real-Time Strategy or Turn-Based Strategy?
  • You two come across as incredibly competitive, especially with each other. Have you ever tried to work together at a board game (like LotR) or video game cooperatively?
  • With all of the conventions you two talk about, I was a little surprised to see that you hadn't talked about Quakecon (unless you haven't heard of it. Then it's understandable.).

What do you think of Quakecon, and have you ever considered going?
  • What games would you murder each other for to have on Virtual Console?

Does the Wii still excite you... at all? If so... What the fuck for?

What would it take for you to buy a 360/PS3, besides more free time?

Has a video game ever made you cry? Scream?

Do you REALLY throw controllers/Mice in anger?

• In Smash Bros Melee, what characters do you play as? Which new characters are you most looking forward to playing in the new Smash Bros game?
  • edited October 2007
    Assuming it's at least a decent conversion, what tabletop RPG / board game / card game / miniatures game would you like to see as a video game or computer game? (this could be a direct conversion like Settlers of Catan, or a setting adaptation like Shadowrun.)

Assuming the same, what video or computer game would you like to see a material equivelant to? (They've already made Railroad Tycoon into a board game, for example).
    Post edited by SoylentGreenIsPurple on
  • What are your opinions on using an emulator to play games? Newer-gen games? Older gen? What about imported games?
  • If we lived in a Pokemon world would it be anything like the cartoon? Would the Pokemon be exploited? Notice how there are no generic bovines in the Pokemon world, is that world full of vegetarians? If so do they eat Grass Pokemon?
  • What is your opinion on the the new art style/story of Advance Wars DS 2? Do you like the fact that they dropped all the old COs for new ones?
  • What would you have to say is your personal "weirdest video game moment?"
  • Which is more annoying: An impossibly hard game, or a stupidly easy one?
  • edited October 2007
    What are your opinions on the pricing for games that are distributed online?
    Taking Steam for example; at the time of release [or the first two weeks], Half-Life 2: Episode One and The Orange Box was on sale for 14.99 and 37.99 respectively at retail. While on Steam, they are sold at the standard pricing of 19.99 and 49.99 (or five bucks or more off for preorders).
    Also, do you think it is fair given the difference?
    Post edited by omegafinal on
  • What do you think is the "sweet spot" for video game pricing, at what price will you achieve maximum profit for a game?

Do you think big FPS games can still be distributed using the shareware model that made Doom so popular?