This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Official Front Row Crew TF2 Server

Comments

• Just join the geeknights steam group and add the people in this thread as friends and you will be able to see when we play.
  • well how serious does the hardware and bandwith need to be? Because I could maybe run a server. Sorry if there are any grammer or spelling mistakes i am on my ipod touch
    I'm running a 2.4 ghz processor with 1 gig of RAM on an OC-48
  • edited October 2007
    Ok, yeah. I have the hardware, but I only have a T-1 line, so yeah, lol.  By the way, oc48: you bastard. lol Is that at home?
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Ok ya I got the hardware but i only have a T-1 line so ya lol by the way oc48 you bastard lol is that at home?

Yes, yes, inquiring minds want to know...
  • You do realise its inadvisable to play the game on the same box as you host a match right? So it will have to be a separate pc/server.
  • edited October 2007
    Ha ha. Yes, I know. I have 2 Linux servers, 1 Windows server, and 2 Macs.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Ok, yeah. I have the hardware,but I only have a T-1 line
    I call bullshit.  T-1 lines are very expensive and largely obsolete.  They require a substantial investment, and even then aren't terribly fast.  No home user would bother with one, and it's doubtful that the telco in most places would even deal with a residential contract in the first place. ^_~
  • No home user would bother with one, and it's doubtful that the telco in most places would even deal with a residential contract in the first place.I've worked for someone who was starting a business out of his home, and he had a T1 line for the server farm in his basement.
  • I've worked for someone who was starting a business out of his home, and he had a T1 line for the server farm in his basement.Oh, it's not impossible, but I simply don't believe darthlog's claim. 
  • Server is back up. It needed an update, go figure...
  • Oh wow this is funny. I am away for a hour and I get called out. It is ok let me explain. It is a T1 line that I use here and it is for a small business that I have at home. But (I think I am on the verge of major hard drive failure) I have worked out a deal with a few other small businesses in the area that are out of their homes and we broadcast the WiFi T-1 line and split the cost. It is not great and I need more bandwidth so I am looking at other options at the moment. Any other questions?
  • Georgia Tech is pretty much it's own ISP and has a shit ton of bandwidth for it's students. ^_^
  • edited October 2007
    Some apartment complexes use a T1 line to my knowledge. (very large city ones used to)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Georgia Tech is pretty much it's own ISP and has a shit ton of bandwidth for it's students. ^_^
    WaterisPoison that is cool, wow, and nice. So would your school "ISP" mind if I shipped you a server that just so happened to get plugged into your wonderful wealth of bandwidth? Ahhh well since your server is back online I think I shall play. :)
  • Georgia Tech Any big college is pretty much it's own ISP and has a shit ton of bandwidth for it's students. ^_^
    FIXED.
  • Georgia TechAny big college is pretty much it's own ISP and has a shit ton of bandwidth for it's students. ^_^
    FIXED.
    Wrong. You'd be surprised. There are some big non-tech schools out there that have relative shit for net connections. It's only the tech schools that all have the big guns.
  • So, what are the minimum specs for running TF2 on a computer? I checked on the Steam site last night but all I found was a reference to having more than 256MB of RAM.
  • Well I'm thinking 2.5Ghz+ more the better, Higher speeds + more players
    It may say 256MB RAM, but I would have thought 1Gb +
    Ideal would be 3Ghz 2Ghz for a 24 slot+ server

GFX doesnt matter.
  • So, what are the minimum specs for running TF2 on a computer? I checked on the Steam site last night but all I found was a reference to having more than 256MB of RAM.
    A CPU with SSE2 is pretty much a must if you want to have maxplayers at 24.
  • I'm not talking about a server I'm talking about playing the game on your computer.
  • clxclx
    edited October 2007
    [Edit] - Sorry HMTKSteve, i assumed as we were talking about setting up servers before that you were talking about running a TF2 server. I apologies.
    Here are the "minimum specs" for the game...
    1.7 GHz Pentium 4
    512 MB system RAM
    DirectX 8 compatible video card

Read into that what you will. [/Edit]

Anyone else played a 32 man server yet? It takes the game up a notch :)
    All capture the point games such as Dustbowl become a lot harder, things seem a lot more fast paced.

I must say you can have a lot of fun on a 32 man server as a Spy ;)
    Post edited by clx on
  • Thanks clx.

I may have to invest in a Steam account...
  • Anyone else played a 32 man server yet? It takes the game up a notch :)
    With the maps as small as they are, it tends to cause unending stalemate, as a perfect defense is possible.
  • Thanks clx.

I may have to invest in a Steam account...
    Steam accounts are free. You only have to pay for the actual games.
  • So are can we have a event this weekend? Water is your server on Linux or Windows?
  • Anyone else played a 32 man server yet? It takes the game up a notch :)

With the maps as small as they are, it tends to cause unending stalemate, as a perfect defense is possible.

I disagree with that comment, There is no "perfect defense" for any map, Just sub-par attacks where people think they are able to run through 4 SG and cap all alone. There is a counter to every defense setup, It just depends if the attackers are clever enough to work it out. (Plus the HW + Medic combo is now able to break some of the tougher defenses)
  • Wrong. You'd be surprised. There are some big non-tech schools out there that have relative shit for net connections. It's only the tech schools that all have the big guns.
    What? Ours is bomb-ass. The more you know.
  • Wrong. You'd be surprised. There are some big non-tech schools out there that have relative shit for net connections. It's only the tech schools that all have the big guns.
    What? Ours is bomb-ass. The more you know.
    Way to read.
    There are some big non-tech schools...only the tech schools that all have...
    There are plenty of non-tech schools that have powerful Internets. A lot of them need it due to the sheer size of their networks. It's just that it is not guaranteed at such a place. Some of them might have powerful OC48s, but have so many people using it, that it really isn't all that fast. Others just have T3s or whatever because they don't need anything better than that.
  • RymRym
    edited October 2007
    There are plenty of non-tech schools that have powerful Internets. A lot of them need it due to the sheer size of their networks. It's just that it is not guaranteed at such a place. Some of them might have powerful OC48s, but have so many people using it, that it really isn't all that fast. Others just have T3s or whatever because they don't need anything better than that.
    Yeap. RIT had dual OC3s, plus a T3, for a student body of about 12,000.  That translated into INSANE bandwidth.
    I disagree with that comment, There is no "perfect defense" for any map,
    In a game this simple, there is always a "perfect defense."  This sort of thing caused many maps in the Weapons Factory days to be phased out, as they were just solved. 
    The FPS skills required for TF2 are relatively low.  As time goes on, everyone, especially in clan play, will be able to play their classes optimally.  With such small and constrained maps, I believe it is 100% possible to have an unbeatable defense in certain conditions.
    Consider the spy.  The spy is often the only way to take out a well-placed turret, particularly if it is defended in depth.  The spy, however, CANNOT overcome an optimal defense.  With even minimal due dilligence on the part of the defenders, spies are rendered 100% useless.  You really have to be a poor player to be fooled by a spy EVER.  The only reason the class works currently is simply due to the lack of skill and ability among average players.
    It's possible that an optimal defense will require enough player resources to prevent an effective offense.  In this case, the game will devolve into a turtle/full attack scenario.  Maps have to be carefully designed to prevent this sort of thing.
    Post edited by Rym on