This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Ask Rym & Scott - Wednesday Anime, Manga, Comics

2»

Comments

• I think all that you're all thinking something somewhat similar to what I'm thinking.
    -100 to common sense?
  • ._____________.

KEEP THOSE FREAKS AWAY FROM ME! D: *climbs on a cupboard*
  • -Where do I get a supply of good one shot western comics along the lines of DMZ?
  • -Where do I get a supply of good one shot western comics along the lines of DMZ?I suggest Amazon.
  • Why are the vast majority of cosplayers people that I would never want to see naked?
    Why is is that the uglier the person the more sexual the cosplay costume they wear?
  • edited October 2007
    Why is is that the uglier the person the more sexual the cosplay costume they wear?
    They're looking for attention that they don't normally receive.
    Post edited by xenomouse on
  • Why is is that the uglier the person the more sexual the cosplay costume they wear?

They're looking for attention that they don't normally receive.

What, they prefer the, "oh god, my eyes!!!" remark instead of being ignored?
  • edited October 2007
    What, they prefer the, "oh god, my eyes!!!" remark instead of being ignored?
    I'm thinking that they hope someone will see their behavior as an invitation to sexual activity, and let's be honest: there are a lot of lonely nerds people out there that are willing to move on that, regardless of how physically unattractive the subject is.
    Post edited by xenomouse on
  • What, they prefer the, "oh god, my eyes!!!" remark instead of being ignored?

I'm thinking that they hope someone will see their behavior as an invitation to sexual activity, and let's be honest: there are a lot of lonelynerdspeople out there that are willing to move on that, regardless of how physically unattractive the subject is.

Isn't that why people incorperate the paper bag?
  • What, they prefer the, "oh god, my eyes!!!" remark instead of being ignored?

I'm thinking that they hope someone will see their behavior as an invitation to sexual activity, and let's be honest: there are a lot of lonelynerdspeople out there that are willing to move on that, regardless of how physically unattractive the subject is.

Yes, the "everyone is beautiful when the lights are off" mantra. Reminds me of another line, "fat chicks are like mopeds. They are fun to ride until your friends see you on one."
  • As of today, what is your favorite AMV, and what makes it so?

2 i's. As expected, Haruhi+ism.
  • Do you think that studies of Japanese animation/comics will make it into the world of collegiate studies or academic research (such as in film or media studies, &c.)?
  • What are the broader cultural influences in Japan that lead to questionable fan service (specifically, sexualized underage girls) in anime?
  • Do you think the future of Western comics is eventually going to go down the Manga route where single issues will become worthless and disposable (not to say that they aren't already), and that the main collection or reading material will be the trade paper book like phone book?
    e.g. Cerebus

To further the above maybe the future is just single issues released as webcomics and then published as trades, i.e. single issues on the internet is the advertising, free like TV shows and the trades will be like seasons on DVD.

What is your dream device for viewing electronic text and comic book material?

• 1. Have you ever been to Japan?

2. When are you coming to Japan (Tokyo please) ?

3. When you come to Tokyo will you be open to hanging out with some Neogeo obsessed nice people?

4. What do you think of the following macho fighting comics: Tough, Hajime no Ippon, Baki the Grappler and Jo Jo's Bizarre Adventure? I personally love them even though they are a bit repetitive.
  • Maybe people on the forum can answer this if its too specific for the show, but what do I watch next? taking into consideration the shows I have enjoyed.

Ghost in the Shell - Loved them all, movies and series. great animation, great stories. Cant get enough!
    Cowboy Be-Bop - same as above
    Outlaw Star - Loved the series, even if it did go off a bit near the end. Plus animation wasn't amazing.
    Gundam - Watched the first series, bit... repetitive, but enjoyed it non the less, are the other series any good?
    Trigun - Watched two, liked it, looking to watch more to decide.
    Naruto - Watched quite a few *cough* didn't mean to... sort of got hooked.
    Evangelion - Was OK, haven't finished it yet, got the last ep to watch and the movies (didn't you say in a previous cast that there should be a certain order to watching these?)
    Devil May Cry - Blood, Gore, Violence, Guns, Big sword, Demons, Win.
    Gunslinger Girls - boring, felt like a task to watch it.
  • Maybe people on the forum can answer this if its too specific for the show, but what do I watch next? taking into consideration the shows I have enjoyed.

Ghost in the Shell - Loved them all, movies and series. great animation, great stories. Cant get enough!
    Cowboy Be-Bop - same as above
    Outlaw Star - Loved the series, even if it did go off a bit near the end. Plus animation wasn't amazing.
    Gundam - Watched the first series, bit... repetitive, but enjoyed it non the less, are the other series any good?
    Trigun - Watched two, liked it, looking to watch more to decide.
    Naruto - Watched quite a few *cough* didn't mean to... sort of got hooked.
    Evangelion - Was OK, haven't finished it yet, got the last ep to watch and the movies (didn't you say in a previous cast that there should be a certain order to watching these?)
    Devil May Cry - Blood, Gore, Violence, Guns, Big sword, Demons, Win.
    Gunslinger Girls - boring, felt like a task to watch it.
    I think you might really like Jyu Oh Sei and To Terra.
  • Do you think that studies of Japanese animation/comics will make it into the world of collegiate studies or academic research (such as in film or media studies, &c.;)?
    Already have.
  • This might be influenced by the newest Strong Bad e-mail I just watched, but when it comes to web comics what are your personal favorites?
  • There's an entire episode of that Diddgery. Search for Web Comics.
  • What do you think of the moe boom?

What is your favorite japanese animation studio? (Gainax, KyoAni, etc.)
  • edited October 2007
    In each of your personal opinions, what do you look for in anime/manga/comics... great art, great writing/dialogue, or a good mixture of both?

In other words, would you read a book/series if it had bad art, but great dialogue and story? What about something with incredible art, but poor writing?
    Post edited by CrimsonGenesis on
  • What are your thoughts on converting anime to (Western) live-action films? (a la the long-rumored Evangelion film).

If you could commission the people of your choice to convert anything in any form of media (film, television, video game, board game, RPG, etc.) into an anime, what would it be?

Is there any genre or plot you'd otherwise find boring that you'd be willing to watch in anime form?

[Apologies for borrowing a DC-comics-specific term for this question.] What are your feelings on the concept of "elseworlds"? (e.g. Marvel's Ultimate universe, My-HiME / My-Otome, first El Hazard OVA / every other El Hazard) Can you see yourself ever liking an alternate version of something you already like, or would it feel too "wrong"?
  • What is the best cosplay skit that you've ever seen, and why?
  • What is the best cosplay skit that you've ever seen, and why?Yeah, why did you see it?
  • What do you guys think of the lastest dvd release of Hi No Tori a.k.a Phoenix anddo you guys think that we will ever get a proper release of the Astroboy 2003 sereis?
  • Cut-off has passed.