This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Get off your lazy ass and exercise

edited May 2006 in Everything Else
For some of us, it might be hard to think about doing something, besides sitting at your computer, playing hours on end of counterstrike. Others of us, find that appalling, and could never consider staying in one place for that long. Those kind of people are usually involved in something that's known as physical activity. The question is, which person is better off. The obvious answer is example number two.

Those of us that are finding it hard to get out of that chair are probably wishing for the motivation to run around and do something. The thing is, that takes work, and as we all know, geeks (and nerds) hate having to put forth effort. That mostly goes for activities that we'd like to see the result for, but would'nt neccessarily like to do.

I am an example of a person who changed the got damn world for himself. I used to be FAT ASS. Two and a half years ago, I was one lazy piece of shit. Then I did something drastic. I skipped lunch, every day, for a year at school. Sounds like I'm insane, right? Every other meal, I made sure to eat normally. The reason being, cafeteria food was full of pure shit. For those of you who don't know, the food contains many kinds of fats that are horrible for your body, especially partially hydrogenated soybean oil. That's a killer right there.

From that, it might sound like I was miserable (crazy) during the whole process, always hungry, feeling shitty during the day. Suprisingly, that was not the case at all. After about a month of doing that, I had lost 4 lbs. Multiply that times 5 months, and I was slim. I had always wondered why I felt sick after lunch everyday. Maybe it was because of the food they gave us? It was pizza every day, and you could sometimes switch it out with a hamburger and fries. What a variety, eh?

The feedback I got for my exploits was awesome, not including all the physical happiness I got as well. It's amazing how much more people respect you when you're in good physical shape. It can even help your grades go up, and increase your mental awareness.

After I was done, I was 6 foot, 150lbs and I had gained a girlfriend, and alot more friends from the upper tier of my class. It felt like paradise, but I knew something vital was missing. One day I looked in the mirror, and I realized I had gotten too skinny. I then decided to take action.

From then on, I vowed to exercise at least 30 minutes a day, and lift weights for at least 15. My regiment was simple. I'd run for 30 minutes constantly, never stopping to walk, and then I'd bring out the bar and some weights and get the job done. As tough as it might sound to those of you who barely get 5 minutes of exercise a day, it's really not that bad.

I've been doing that for 2 years, and I'm still reeping the benefits. Physical exercise is just one of those things that is underestimated in our society. Too much of our media has tried to force vitamins, medication, and energy drinks down our throats, but the fact remains that they are innefective without exercise. In fact, steer clear from those kinds of products. Try to stick with regular vitamins and energy drinks that you can find around in the grocery store.

So in conclusion, I hope this inspired you. When I think back on it now, I'm so glad of what I did, and when I did it. Now I'm a junior in high school, and I realize that I'd never be happy that way (fat) again. Being overweight sucks! That's just the damn truth. Yes, there are those jolly fat people, but in reality, do you think they're truly happy. Not only that, what about their life span. Who's going to live a longer, happier life? Just some food for thought.

Comments

• "For some of us, it might be hard to think about doing something, besides sitting at your computer, playing hours on end of counterstrike. Others of us, find that appalling, and could never consider staying in one place for that long."

Or could never play Counterstrike at all...
  • I totally agree. For my aged self, exercise is not optional, it's a requirement. To that end, I run on a treadmill 4-5 nights a week for 30 minutes at a time. Said treadmill is parked in front of a television with a TiVo. So when I run, I can happily watch Ghost in the Shell SAC II or whatever.

As far as diet, I eat yogurt for breakfast, anything I want at lunch and yogurt for dinner. If I get really hungry, I'll have some instant mizo soup or some tomato juice.

As you get older, as with everything, it gets harder. It's just a fact. I figure when I'm 80, I'll only be able to eat one slice of American cheese every day.
  • American cheese?! bargle bargle bargle.

Except on toasted cheese sandwiches. They're awesome.
  • I will be the first to admit that I am over weight. I am by no means obese but I need to loose weight, and I have started that effort. I won't go into much detail but I have been fighting my weight for my whole life and now I just said enough is enough. In the beginning it is indeed hard. Curbing my eating habits, working out everyday, and working 10 hour days takes it's toll but I know that in the long run this will be much better for me.

As it stands right now, I feel shitty, ALWAYS hungry, really bad sleep quality, lack of energy, lack of motivation to do anything, hard to concentrate/think, tired all the time (no matter how much sleep I get), and feel sick after eating. Also I feel old, I'm only 25 but I feel like I'm 40ish. So yeah, loosing weight will hopefully help me. I look at my mom. She lost 35 pounds and it has done her a world of good, I just want to tell everyone out there one thing. Do not loose a large amount of weight too quickly. As I said she lost 35 pounds....but she did it in one month, and subsequently lost her Gallbladder as well.

It comes down to this. Mankind was not meant to eat so much and was meant to have a much higher level of exercise. We did not evolve the way to did just to sit in front of a light box that displays images. Exercise and good eating are things that we have to do, and for several years I haven't done that, I have to start now or really bad shit can happen.
  • That's another thing that I'd like to mention. If you're contemplating going down the path of dieting and nothing else, you're bound to gain back most of the weight you lose. Without diet combined with exercise, your body will have a harder time adjusting. Not to mention, that a diet isn't forever. It has a beginning and an end. If you do not put some physical effort into the game, that end will give those pounds you lost right back to you.

Another part of this process is your metabolism. Believe it or not, if you exercise enough and regularly, the speed at which your body breaks down substances will increase over a period of time. I might be sixteen, and have a faster system than adults, but that doesn't mean a man or woman at the age of 25 couldn't get to the same rate with a daily physical workout.

I have another tremendous example for you. About a year ago, my grandmother got remarried after her husband (my grandfather) had passed away from colon cancer. This new guy was 70 years old, but there was something different about him. This man was in great physical shape, and he was 5 times older than I was. In fact, at the time (when I used to be over weight), he could out run me any day. Now, that's not true, since I've become athletic, but the fact is still there, that this guy is the healthiest senior citizen I have ever seen.

I'm not saying this guy was always in good health. Before he had become over weight and had a heart attack, this man was officially a couch potato. When he found that his obesity had almost killed him, he took action to become fit.

So if you're worrying that you could never find the inspiration to exercise, stop your whinin’. If a man in his 70's can pull it off, you sure as hell can. If that's not enough, take a second and ponder at your life. Do you want to be more self-confident, more attractive (for the ladies), live a longer life, and be able to exercise whenever? If you think it's too late in your life, think again.
  • Of course, there are some things to watch out for when you exercise.

1. Diet fads: Most of them aren't anything more than reducing your calorie intake. The only one I know of that actually works on some biochemical principal is Atkins, and that shit can be dangerous.

2. Fitness personalities: This actually extends to workout videos and the like, too. They're all bullshit, every last one of them. If you don't have the genes to look like a fitness model, you never, ever, ever, ever will, unless you pay for expensive-ass surgery. You have a particular body type based on your genes, and you are bound to that forever.

That really leads into the main point I'd like to make: don't set an unrealistic goal. You can't look at some fitness celebrity and say, "I'm going to look like that one day," because you honestly might not be able to. The best thing you can do is be as fit as you can be, and say to hell with everything else.

To that end, staying healthy isn't that difficult; don't eat tons of fast food, or greasy nasty food, all the time. Eat in moderation, and get some got-damn exercise.
  • Another thing that gets people confused on exercise, is how much you need to do, and how you need to do it. For example, if I run for 30 minutes straight, I've had a damn good workout. If I alternate between running and walking, I've had a so so workout. Basically, it's all about getting your muscles burning and your heart pumping. If you heart rate doesn't get high enough during your exercises, it's going to be innefective at conditioning your body.

Another thing that people don't get is that you can't just do aerobic workouts. You have to stick some weight lifting in there somewhere. Otherwise, unless you're fat, your exercise is not going to show very quickly.

If you wanna show them guns, pump some got damn iron.
  • A word about exercise placement: if you want to lift weights to actually gain muscle and such, but you also want to do cardio, it's best to do your cardio after you lift weights. Cardio before lifting will only fatigue your muscles, making your weightlifting less effective. Also, if you want to really gain muscle, don't do too much cardio; your body needs calories to actually build muscle, and cardio will take some of those calories away, slowing down your gains.

A mostly unrelated note: I've started eating Grape-nuts and lowfat yogurt for breakfast, and I noticed that Grape-nuts are not rock hard as I remember them from my childhood. Anyone else noticed this?
  • I have always kinda liked grape-nuts (provided there is a good amount of milk). I think this came up over Tora-con weekend actually ;p
  • The best is when you mix grape nuts and yogurt together and eat it. That is damn good. I think one of the yogurt producing companies has actually started a product line like that actually.
  • James: I remember that, and that's why I mention it now. I distinctly remember, way back, that Grape-nuts were rock-fucking-hard, and that's why I never ate them again. I just recently picked some up, and they're surprisingly not rock hard.

glimp: You are describing my exact breakfast from here on out. It's really good stuff. Also, there is no yogurt except strawberry; all others are inferior by comparison. Except for perhaps strawberry-banana.
  • edited May 2006
    I can see what you are saying about them being hard. I remember my father eating Grape-nuts and me thinking it was gross, along the lines of when he would eat the brick size shredded wheat. Of course now that I am older I know that both are good ^_^
    Post edited by Jameskun on
  • I can relate to James. My dad always at grapenuts in the morning, and it would annoy the hell out of me. The crunching was too damn loud, and he didn't even notice. Now I can officialy say that grapenuts are not as loud as they were before, just as they are not as hard.
  • My dad is addicted to clusters. We have like 20 boxes in our pantry at any given time haha
  • Clusters fucking rules. However, lately I've been eating Honey-Nut Cheerios and Honey Cluster Total. The honey Total is the same thing as Clusters, except it has more honey action.
  • Honey-Nut Cheerios fuckin pwn
  • Hell yeah they do. Not to mention, who hates those cheerios with no damn sugar. It's like a hamburger without the bun. They tell you all that BS about how it's good for your heart, then it tastes like shit.
  • Yeah, plain Cheerios are ass. So dry and stale-tasting. My brother likes them, I don't know why. But any other Cheerio besides the standard ones are great. I also enjoy Rice Krispies with banana.
  • I've never been able to stand fruit in my cereal. Don't know why. The worst, though are the new ones with freeze dried fruit in it, blech!

I tend to waver between healthy cereal and kids cereal, I've always got at least three boxes, though so it works out. In my personal rotation I've got Cheerios of all varieties (apple cinnamon are the most overlooked cheerios), crackling wheat bran, raisin bran crunch, cocoa puffs and cap'n crunch (original only! crunch berries are the bane of my existence). Speaking of, think I'll get a bowl of the good cap'n right now.
  • Raisin Bran of any variety is still my favorite cereal ever.

But I must say, Peanut Butter Crunch owns my taste buds.
  • Frosted Flakes in plain yogurt with honey is an AWESOME snack.