This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Tangents

edited May 2006 in Everything Else
It is just me or does every discussion in this forum go off on a tangent? Go look at any discussion going on here, and the newest posts wont have anything to do with the thread topic at all. What is wrong with us? How long until this discussion goes off on a tangent?

Comments

• edited May 2006
    I approximate about 1 post - as long as you count posts on Microsoft, who by the way has delayed Vista, yet again... The Register's story on this
    Please discuss....

Just joking Scott, but yeah, i do know what you mean - and i've found it on allmost every other post i've looked at :)

Post edited by Farragar on
  • Heh.. I don't think it's a bad thing necessarily. I'd be more worried if no one talked about anything unless prompted directly to do so.

Tangents = friendly, active community
  • On that note:

I like pie.
  • Pie is so much better than cake! From late elementary school on I always got a birthday pie instead of a cake. Hell, I've even got this idea of a multi-tiered wedding pie for the eventual someday. *drool*

Sorry for continuing the random direction of this conversation chastizing random directions but holy crap pie is awesome!
  • Cake is the best, because that means you can have icecream cake. I've never heard of icecream pie, have you?
  • edited May 2006
    Dude, don't fuck fuck with pie.
    Post edited by NinjaNed on
  • a la mode biznatch.

BRING IT!
  • Pie is like the best thing since pasta, and I totally agree with Phantasos.

Pie + Ice cream = Crazy Delicious. Right up there with Mr. Pibb and Red Vines. (Lazy Sunday reference for the clueless. Google it.)
  • Cheesecake bitches!
  • Word. ph34r t3h (][33%3.
  • Conversations are organic things, and it's quite natural for one topic of conversation to lead to another, then another, then another, and then to come back to the original topic. Thus is the nature of conversation.

Smoked gouda is the best cheese ever.
  • Japanese pickled radishes are so much better than the cheap Korean products. Accept no substitutes.
  • I propose that we seperate those that enjoy baked goods into seperate sects; the good and holy Episcipielians, those that recognize the holiness of baked goods unmared by the presence of ice cream, and those godless heathens known as Creamangelins that believe ice cream should be added to the perfection of baked goods.
  • I refuse to believe in desserts of any kind without conclusive scientific proof of their yumminess. Therefore, I must consider myself an afeast.
  • truly, the proof is in the pudding.
  • There is no dessert spoon.
  • So how abou that Wii?
  • ice cream cake = THE SUCK

What kind of pickled radishes are you talking about Katsu? Daikon or the weird yellow thing?
  • "truly, the proof is in the pudding."

Gaaaaaaaahhhhhhh! GAAAAHHH!

The PROOF of the PUDDING is in the EATING! The pudding itself doesn't prove anything, and its nature is only proven by testing it. Hence the aphorism.

/the more you know ^_~
  • The yellow pickle, takuwan. I'm pretty sure that it's made from daikons, though.
  • I think the only threads that stay on topic for a significant amount of posts are ones with long drawn out debates or arguments. Threads where the majority of posters agree or don't have anything to share are destined to either die or go wildy off topic.

I think the more interesting the original post is the more likely it is that the thread will be hijacked by topic drift. Interesting topics are oftentimes multifaceted and have lots of depth to write about. Once every possible insight or idea been shared about something I think people look for something to talk about because the fuel of the discussion's been exhausted. An interesting idea will breed other interesting ideas and so on.

People on Usenet use the (WAS:) tag to start threads derived from other threads. Maybe topic drift happens as a result of the lack of this practice outside of Usenet. Then again, who wants a moderator telling everyone where to parse their threads? At worst, topic drift shows a lack of posting discipline and board moderation but at best it shows a lack of posting discipline board moderation. Remember, a vote for Bart is a vote for Anarchy!