This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Keep your 4chan out of my FRC forums!

edited October 2007 in Flamewars
I feel that there has been a drastic increase in inspirational posters and general 4chanery in the FRC forums as of late. It stated out entertaining and humorous in it's early stages, but now I just find it annoying.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do enjoy the occasional "So i herd u leik mudkipz", but some of the recent threads have struck me as excessive. This is not 4chan, and there is a reason that I spend time in this forum and not in /b/.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Comments

• I agree to an extent. Honestly, 4chan has become a large part of the internet subculture (whether you would like to admit it or not) and it will inevitably leak here.

Though I agree. We probably DO need to tone done the /b/tardism.
  • I just ignore those threads.
  • I have an intense hatred for 4chan that, like most of my hatreds of internet things, is entirely irrational and based soley on a few individuals that I simply can't stand. I can acknowledge that. I just really want to punch anyone who says "ima chargin mah lazer" simply because I don't see any of the humor in spewing out internet memes that make little sense and really aren't all that funny.

Granted there are some memes that I think are legitimately funny. The "Final Destination" meme is kind of cool. lolcats can only be used for evil if they appear in every single post someone makes. UR MR GAY is a hilarious coincidence on the Super Mario Galaxy boxart and I am chuckling thinking about it right now.

But really guys, when GameFAQs' annual Character Battle Poll (my prediction? Cloud wins) has Bidoof and Mudkip in it and they make it past the first round... that's just kind of annoying.

Though I don't mind messing with GameFAQs. Maybe if they used a character that wouldn't be easily traced back to 4chan. I'm thinking the Ramblin' Evil Mushroom enemy from EarthBound...
  • "Ima chargin mah lazer"

Seriously, though, of the threads I read, only one of them has any significant sort of 4chan pervasion: the inspirational poster thread, which was made for that meme to begin with. Perhaps it's due to the fact that I only keep up with 4-5 threads at a given time, but I honestly don't see anything too crazy. A gradual increase? Definitely. A drastic jump? Not so much.

Honestly, there's no real way to stop it. The forum rules ensure that any 4chan that gets into here will at least be coherent, but nonetheless 4chan will leak into these forums. If you look at Fark these days, 4chan has heavily infiltrated its ranks.

Really, it's expected. 4chan is a meme generating machine, so it must inevitably spread to engulf the entire Internet. The scope of 4chan will change as it absorbs more things, though, so it won't all be bad.
  • edited October 2007
    Seriously, though, of the threads I read, only one of them has any significant sort of 4chan pervasion: the inspirational poster thread
    What about "You know you're a hentai fan when..."?
    Honestly, there's no real way to stop it. The forum rules ensure that any 4chan that gets into here will at least be coherent, but nonetheless 4chan will leak into these forums. If you look at Fark these days, 4chan has heavily infiltrated its ranks.
    I guess that's fair.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I said "significant". Sure there's more 4chan in that particular thread than you might be used to, but it hasn't reached epidemic levels yet.
  • There are people who balance teh mudkipery with intelligent posts. I ignore the rest by putting my thumb real close to my eye and blanking out their posts.
  • I wouldn't describe the sort of threads that I think you're thinking of as based on 4chan.  But I do agree with you, for what it's worth.
  • As far as I can see only 2 threads have had had a hint of 4chan waved that them, the "you know your a Henti fan when..." (or something like that) and the "Why people think Rym and Scott are gay." (They are!)
    Out of those two threads, it was kind of inevitable that the first one started sliding the 4chan way due to the topic, but as for the "Why people think Rym and Scott are gay" (OK, maybe they aren't..) That threads just a bit of fun that no one takes too seriously. Anyway, any thread on this forum has a MUCH higher calibre of poster, and thus I doubt it would slide to constant image posting or "TITS OR GTFO" and if that turns up in the "Why people think Rym and Scott are gay" (Or maybe they are...) then I quit the internet!
  • edited October 2007
    Seaking?
    Seaking!

Sorry had too.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited October 2007
    I can tolerate teh mudkipery stuff (even though I'm not really sure what mudkipery is) better than the "Go to my website and look at my ads! Please read my website because no one else will!" posts.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • I agree with most people. There are 3 threads tops which have some 4chan-like posts. One of them being of course the motivational posters thread which is just an internet meme started at 4chan. As "I herd you liek mudkips" and lolcats. In my opinion those memes have transcended the basic 4chan meme status, and have become internet memes, like "All your base are belong to us" (or did that one came from 4chan too?). They only started at 4chan, doesn't mean they turn the FRC forums into 4chan. More like an internet-savvy forum, we know what happens on the internet, for real. Not like fox news who thinks pedophiles corrupt American children with '1337'-speak, a secret internet code parents cannot understand.

It's just internet culture, the fact that it comes from 4chan doesn't mean it's not awesome. It just started at a place where also horrible memes are worshipped. *hates the "IMMA CHARGIN MA LAZOR!/MALAYSIA!" meme*
  • I can tolerate teh mudkipery stuff (even though I'm not really sure what mudkipery is) better than the "Got to my website and look at my ads! Please read my website because no one else will!" posts.
    I figure that one pertains to me. I only ask because I know the audience here and I wanted an opinion from this given audience. At least the first part. I have no problem with readership on my sites. Every one of my sites that I care about the traffic levels for gets plenty of traffic. If I was on here begging for readers than I would be a total loser considering the small amount of active members on here.

I really do not care if anybody on here goes to any of my sites. The additional 30 page views I *might* get are not worth the effort of writing a begging post. If someone posts a "look at my site and give me some constructive criticism" I'll look it over and give criticism because that kind of post fits on here due to the high level of web knowledge among the users on here.

In a nutshell I post those threads because I want opinions not traffic.
  • I'm not going to complain about the posts you make here. Clearly you are not using this forum as a means to increase traffic. However...
    Every one of my sites that I care about the traffic levels for gets plenty of traffic.
    The fact that you care about traffic levels at all is what I take issue with. SEO type activities leave a very bad taste in my mouth.
  • I think this forum is far far far way from being 4channish. Plus beside the threads mentioned I don't see much 4channery or mudkipery. In fact there's only 3 threads out of a lot that has 4channish tendencies.

In short there's no need to panic unless they start a raid on this place. I doubt that since they probably never heard of this place.
    Seaking?
    Seaking!
    FUCK YEAH!
  • The only problem I have is with the frivolous posts that contribute nothing. They are just words that have no meaning behind them. People talk alot, but rarely do they say anything.
  • The only problem I have is with the frivolous posts that contribute nothing. They are just words that have no meaning behind them. People talk alot, but rarely do they say anything.
    Yeah, the +1 posts sort of just spam the forum. We should really try to just not post unless we actually have something to say.
  • At least post counts don't mean anything on here. I have been on forums were post counts were a big deal to some users.
  • At least post counts don't mean anything on here. I have been on forums were post counts were a big deal to some users.
    Yes, those places are scary.
  • edited October 2007
    In short there's no need to panic unless they start a raid on this place.
    It would take some mighty fine trickery to for 4chan to invade because of how registration works on the forum. I personally think the forum needs moar of the funny 4chan.
    Post edited by Railith on
  • In short there's no need to panic unless they start a raid on this place.
    How registration works on the forum it would take some mighty fine trickery to for 4chan to invade. I personally think the forum needs moar of the funny 4chan.
    Not too much more. Personally like the balance of how it is now.
  • As the Hentai thread goes, I basically meant for it to be a thread that makes fun of that whole genre of anime fandom. It did, however, go places that I would rather have avoided, and might even go so far as to call 4Channish... o_o;
  • edited October 2007
    Well people are bound to overreact to self expression sooner or later but remember that your just getting the memes and not the crazy 4chan users. It's not like someone set you up the bomb or anything.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited October 2007
    We should really try to just not post unless we actually have something to say.
    I've tried really hard not to do the "Pro X makes a stupid random post, contributing nothing" post, but sometimes I feel like I need to (like in the hentai topic), which then leads to me being stupid. I'm trying to go for more important and worthwhile posts, but I don't think that's working (I think this is becoming one of those posts, so I'll stop).
    Post edited by JukeBoxJosh on
  • 4chan is funny sometimes, and good for a quick laugh, or creep regular people out. But other than that, no. Stop it.
  • *Boooo*
  • The hentai thread started as something funny, but quickly spiraled into the cesspool of the internet.
  • What?  Did somebody say 4chan!?