This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

problems with an ftp

edited May 2006 in Technology
hey guys, can you help me with my ftp problem?

I'm trying to connect to my server via fireftp and I keep getting this error that says:
500 AUTH not understood

I looked it up on google and it doesnt' give me back anything coherrent.

Never mind I figured it out. I put on a weird security setting: auth tsl.

Comments

• See, that's the geek spirit. ^_^ You solved the problem by actually looking at what was happening and trying to figure it out. Too many people just throw their hands in the air and give up.

/props
  • Too many people = my parents.

I've recently come to the conclusion that there is no point teaching tech novices how to solve a specific problem - the trick is to teach them logic. It's like that saying, give a man a fish, he eats for a day... etc. Case in point, my mother. She just got a new phone and she wants to learn how to send SMS messages. There's no point saying "go to menu > messages > write message", and so on. I had to teach her that you have to read the visual cues, and understand the logic that operates on most pieces of modern technology. I understand these things, therefore I can use almost any device with only a little bit of experimentation. It's like a technological Rosetta Stone. And anyone who reads this undoubtedly has it too. Teaching it to others, that's the challenge.
  • Wow. Your mom is actually using her cell? My mother hasn't even mastered the DVD player. She asked my why the clock on her DVD player won't stop blinking.................there is no clock on the DVD player.

My father doesn't know how to work a microwave. He tried it once and managed to explode a cop of coffee.
  • edited May 2006
    I try to give my parents computer advice but they always ignore it. Their reasoning is understandable. Back in the early 90's, I ruined their second computer. I'm not sure how. It had something to do with the a drive making a weird noise and the computer not booting up.

Ever since I went to RIT and started to hang out with comp geeks like Rym and Scott, I know better now.
    Post edited by Ametto on