This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The tendency of civil rights being cut down

edited October 2007 in Politics
Well, the topic popped up in another thread, and I think it deserves a thread of its own. Also, I don't want to derail the other one.
Posted By: hungryjoePosted By: merry_minstrelPosted By: hungryjoeIf you're not living in the US right now, you're lucky.
Care to elaborate, maybe in another thread?
We're well on the way to facism and no one cares. If you do happen to care, people think you're crazy.
I can only talk about the situation in Germany, because, well, I don't know jack about US domestic politics, but I think the situation is analog in any other 'western' country.

Now, the tendency is that people freak out about terrorism, and politicians on the right half of the political spectrum (even though right and left is a sort of stupid way to classify parties and politicians, it is still the shortest one) use the public fear to cut down civil rights bit by bit. I could list examples starting from biometrical data in the passport to shooting down kidnapped planes (well, the Bundesverfassungsgericht (~Supreme Court), which I love, declared that unlawful), but since I seem to be the only German on the forum, that would make little sense.

Instead, my questions to you are: How would you rate the recent developments in your country? Why are people doing this (because in most cases, the laws passed don't make anything any safer, just less free)? Do you think the clear-thinking forces in your country will successfully stop this process or is it just downhill from now?

Comments

• edited October 2007
    Read this. It's just a matter of time, really. Carole and I have our passports and we're learning Icelandic. I want to go to Sweden instead, but she has this Iceland fixation . . .
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Read this.It's just a matter of time, really.
    Which is why the second amendment is so important. Without the second amendment the first amendment will crumble.
  • Alarmist.
  • I'm pretty sure that most of the people here are of the liberty before death mentality.
  • I'm pretty sure that most of the people here are of the liberty before death mentality.
    Liberty before death? I think you screwed up a quote.
    Libertybeforedeath? I think you screwed up a quote.
    No. We care about liberty before we care about death.
  • Alarmist.
    See, Mr. Minstrel? Everything's fine. Nothing to worry about. Just illegal wiretaps, gulags, renditions, loss of habeas corpus, an illegal pre-emptive war and another on the way, a private mercenary army, the John Warner Defense Authorization Act of 2007, the National Presidential Security Directive and the Homeland Security Directive, the Executive Order titled "Blocking Property of Certain Persons Who Threaten Stabilization Efforts in Iraq", (I've probably left out a few) . . . No. Things are going just swimmingly.
  • Alarmist.
    See, Mr. Minstrel? Everything's fine. Nothing to worry about. Just illegal wiretaps, gulags, renditions, loss of habeas corpus, an illegal pre-emptive war and another on the way, a private mercenary army, theJohn Warner Defense Authorization Act of 2007, theNational Presidential Security Directive and the Homeland Security Directive, the Executive Order titled"Blocking Property of Certain Persons Who Threaten Stabilization Efforts in Iraq", (I've probably left out a few) . . . No. Things are going just swimmingly.
    So vote in new people.
  • Do you think the clear-thinking forces in your country will successfully stop this process or is it just downhill from now?
    Fear is a very powerful motivator. Right after the world trade center tragedy occurred, a lot of people were incredibly afraid, and in fear we gave our executive branch (the "action" branch of our government) unusually liberal permissions to address threats. As our fear diminished, growing numbers of people started understanding that those executive permissions were not such a great idea.

If you look at the approval rating of our current president, you can see that when U.S. citizens were the most afraid, his rating was at its highest. In the months following the WTC tragedy, his rating is 80%+. As we became increasingly less afraid, our patience for those liberal executive permissions decreased, as did our approval the officer using them. His current rating is hovering right around 30%.

What this means is that the next president will be very different from our current president (or at least he/she will have to appear so until November 2008). The next president will need to have in mind the public's distaste for occupying foreign countries and wars against abstract enemies as well as the distaste for torture, "secret" prisons, bestowing impunity on violent mercenaries, grievous violations against civil liberties, and generally unethical practices.

In short, I'm pretty sure we'll be okay. Now if only we could do something about this rotten two-party system...
  • So vote in new people.Precisely.
  • Ummmmmmmmm . . . that's kind of what I'm worried about. If I actually get to vote in new people, I'll be happy.

However, I'm very worried that Chimpy is going to bomb Iran, get mixed up in that quagmire, and say, "Well, this is just the type of emergency we foresaw in the John Warner Defense Authorization Act, the National Presidential Security Directive, and the Homeland Security Directive. I can't allow elections to go forward until after the emergency has passed."

Of course, you'd probably think that's crazy because nothing like that has ever happened in any society in history.
  • He doesn't allow or disallow elections. He can't suspend parts of the constitution without the approval of congress.
  • Read the links. He'll have that power. Congress won't mean anything at all if he decides to initiate those directives.
  • edited October 2007
    Recall.

At any rate, he also can't attack Iran without Congressional consent, and he doesn't have the budget for it, either.

In addition, the links say it has to be a catastrophic homeland emergency in which state governments can't control the populace -- it's a domestic definition, not a foreign one.
    Post edited by Jason on
  • I can't allow elections to go forward until after the emergency has passed.That would be a horrible yet very interesting situation. I imagine we would see the following things: protests of unprecedented size throughout the U.S., Congress impeaching each member of the current Administration, riots destroying government offices, and general disruption to portions of everyday life (probably related to protests or riots).
  • Check it out man. He can't legally stop elections unless there is a disaster. So what does he do? He acts like he's going to stop elections, our impending riots are the disaster he needs to legally postpone the elections.

Conspiracy nut ftw.
  • edited October 2007

At any rate, he also can't attack Iran without Congressional consent, and he doesn't have the budget for it, either.
    The Kyl Lieberman Amendment is probably all the reason GWB needs to bomb Iran
    In addition, the links say it has to be a catastrophic homeland emergency in which state governments can't control the populace -- it's a domestic definition, not a foreign one.
    "Catastrophic Emergency" means any incident, regardless of location, that results in extraordinary levels of mass casualties, damage, or disruption severely affecting the U.S. population, infrastructure, environment, economy, or government functions (my emphasis)
    Source.

How does this only restrict the emergency to the U.S.?
  • Check it out man. He can't legally stop elections unless there is a disaster. So what does he do? He acts like he's going to stop elections, our impending riots are the disaster he needs to legally postpone the elections.

Conspiracy nut ftw.
    Or he could just impound all Wii and Super Smash Bros. imports. Video game conspiracy nut ftw!!!
  • Conspiracy nut ftw.
    This has happened many times in history before. Is there something special about the U.S. that makes it impossible to happen here?

Does the mere fact that someone is concerned make them a nut? Does a person have to be completely unconcerned with the state of the world to fit your defintion of sanity?

• Does the mere fact that someone is concerned make them a nut? Does a person have to be completely unconcerned with the state of the world to fit your defintion of sanity?
    No, being concerned is encouraged. However, there is a line you cross where a concerned person becomes an alarmist. I think part of my attitude also has to do with my general disdain for being worried or nervous. I feel like if there's something to worry about, that you should do something about it. If there is nothing you can do about it, or nothing you will do about it, or nothing to actually worry about, then worrying is just a waste of time. Basically I don't see a circumstance where worrying helps anything.

Also, as of late there are just so many people running around yelling about everything, I'm tired of it. Everybody knows all the bad stuff that's going on. No, none of us like it. We know. The people who are still on the other side are largely just ignorant, and can't be helped anyway. Unless you are going to do something to fix the situation, please shut up. Giving me a headache is not going to get our civil liberties back. This is the kind of attitude I've been feeling for the past many months. I'm just tired of it all.
  • Unless you are going to do something to fix the situation, please shut up.
    In addition to the protests I've been to and organized, I've been writing my Congressmen. Also, my job search has included MoveOn.org and various lobbying firms. I just wanted you to know I'm trying to do something.
  • Also, my job search has included MoveOn.org and various lobbying firms.That's not necessarily helping.
  • edited October 2007
    Also, my job search has included MoveOn.org and various lobbying firms.
    That's not necessarily helping.
    You've gotta get in somewhere to have any influence.

I also gave some money to the Edwards campaign. I was volunteering at the Montgomery County Democratic Committee. I'm gonna have to start volunteering at Baltimore now.
  • MoveOn does have a lot of money and it owns half of the government, not a bad place to be.
  • n addition to the protests I've been to and organized, I've been writing my Congressmen. Also, my job search has included MoveOn.org and various lobbying firms. I just wanted you to know I'm trying to do something.
    I'm not saying you aren't doing anything. What I'm saying is whether people do something or not, I am tired of having to listen to it. I agree the political situation is terrible right now. I hate it too. It doesn't mean I can't sit in peace and quiet.
  • Does the mere fact that someone is concerned make them a nut? Does a person have to be completely unconcerned with the state of the world to fit your defintion of sanity?
    It's not a matter of being unconcerned -- it's the fact that you assume the worst possibility as the most likely one.
  • It's not a matter of being unconcerned -- it's the fact that you assume the worst possibility as the most likely one.
    Have you not lived long enough to know this is true? Of all the possible end results to any given situation, the worst one is the most likely to occur.
  • Ah, that's why we are nuked to death during the Cold War. I knew it!
  • I agree that one turned out okay . . . but I dearly miss it. I was never so concerned during the Cold War as I am now.
  • You were less concerned with mutual assured destruction than with the politics of a lame duck president who is only backed by 23 percent of the American public?