This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071024 - Trigun: Final Thoughts

2»

Comments

• I must say however, its not obvious until near the end of the show,
    It's pretty obvious pretty early on.  I wouldn't even really call it a spoiler.
  • I must say however, its not obvious until near the end of the show,
    It's pretty obvious pretty early on.  I wouldn't even really call it a spoiler.

I got that they were grown, and I guess his arm looks like a trunk when the third gun appears, I just didn't make a connection that they're "plants". I've seen the show twice and didn't see any significance to their plantiness.

Why didn't you bring this up? If it's so significant why did it not even get a mention?
  • Why didn't you bring this up? If it's so significant why did it not even get a mention?
    I didn't say it was significant: I said it was obvious.  The significant part was simply that Vash's pacifism is only possible due to the fact that he's more than human.  The show then hits you at the end with the classic "even that is not enough."
  • edited November 2007
    Know whats insane? The days before this show came out (I hadn't updated my ipod in a while) I marathoned Trigun. I had never watched it in its entirety before and just as I finished it a final thoughts episode popped up.

Legato was one seriously scary mother. In the episodes he's in I kept saying to myself 'I know Knives is somewhere behind him but if Knives is controlling this kind of guy, what kind of badass is Knives?' The show screwed with my mind so that I couldn't abandon it in the middle like I do with a lot of other shows. I watched the dubbed version for the entire thing then went back and watched episode 23 raw just to hear the voices and how the church scene went. I wish I hadn't heard Milly's crying now. The sub of her crying was okay but her crying in the original was so... spine tingling.
    Post edited by Tripwire on
  • The dub does not convey ANY kind of seriousness in the show. Vash is a fucking joke in English.
  • The dub does not convey ANY kind of seriousness in the show. Vash is a fucking joke in English.

That's what I didn't like about the dub as well. In the original it seems like there's such a big divide between serious Vash and silly Vash, and I don't think Johnny Yong Bosch pulled that off very well at all.
  • I don't like people speaking english at ludicrous-speed to keep up with the screen. :(
  • I watched the dub, not wanted. My typo. I only watched a few episodes aside from 23 in sub. I guess I watch too much anime subbed because I can watch halfway through an episode then realize that I really don't know what they're talking about if I'm not reading along. Maybe I'll watch the sub in its entirety sometime.
  • I've been watching this show for years. I am only up to Episode 15. Tonight I'll try to finish 16 so I can send the Netflix disk back.
  • I've been watching this show for years.
    At the rate of an episode every couple of months?
  • Not even. But I am making more progress. Episode 16 is definitely a turning point in the show. I have to turn my Netflix queue back to Avatar for a while though.
  • I have no qualms with that decision. How far along are you in that?
  • I have no qualms with that decision. How far along are you in that?
    About 1/2 way through season 3. I saw part one of the 2 part episode.
  • Day of Black Sun kicks all kinds of ass. Since you're Netflixing, I'm not sure if the last batch of episodes are out on DVD, let along when they'll come out. In the meantime, I would suggest attempting to finish Trigun.
  • I had a Trigun marathon with some friends today, which was pretty awesome. Unfortunately we only had access to the dub, but I got used to it and enjoyed the show despite some bad voice acting. I did get choked up at some points, and I understood what the show was trying to do, but looking at some of these scenes in the subbed version makes me really pissed that we had to watch it with English voiceovers. Just re-watching a certain death scene made me cry straight up, even though I just saw the same scene about five hours ago; in comparison the dub completely ruined it with crappy translation and bad acting.

So the moral here is to watch the sub at all costs. The dub isn't terrible as far as anime dubs go, but it's shit compared to the original voice actors.
  • edited August 2009
    I'm not sure where to post this, but this thread seems as good as any. The first trailer for the Trigun movie was shown at Anime Expo. Check it out on YouTube:

Make sure you take the time to either link or embed your videos.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • So the moral here is to watch the sub at all costs. The dub isn't terrible as far as anime dubs go, but it's shit compared to the original voice actors.
    Hilarious same VA link: (Japanese Vash from Trigun and Japanese Leeron from Gurren-Lagann)
  • Question: **(Spoiler)**

Perhaps I misunderstood, but did Rym and Scott mention that Vash doesn't kill knives in the end. I thought he does under the justification that he will survive: Like Wolfwood taught him there is some justification to kill and Vash taught wolfwood, you don't have to kill; like they traded principles.
  • So the Badlands Rumble movie, has anyone seen the original? How does it compare to the tv series? Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I'm a new Trigun fan and the upcoming American release is the only piece of Trigun I have to look forward to now.

Ohmygosh!Ijustfinishedtheseriesandthere'snomoreleftformetowatch.whatamIgoingtodo!AAAAAHHHHH!!