This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Civ IV

edited October 2007 in Video Games
I was a huge addict of the Civ games back in the days of Civ 1 and 2. I never picked up Civ 3 because my computer could not handle it.

I was just looking on Steam and I see some mega packs for Civ 3 and 4. should I go for Civ 4? Does it have multi-player? should I just stick with Civ 2?

Comments

• From what I remember of the old Civ games, FreeCiv is pretty accurate.
    But I haven't played a Civ game in years.
  • Civ 4 is quality. I highly recommend it. Plus it has pretty good support for multi-player.
  • Is the multi-player on Steam? Real Time, Turn based (simultaneous) or both? I refuse to play RTS games because they stop being a game of skill and tactics and instead become a game of managerial skills.
  • edited October 2007
    Is the multi-player on Steam? Real Time, Turn based (simultaneous) or both? I refuse to play RTS games because they stop being a game of skill and tactics and instead become a game of managerial skills.
    The multiplayer is simultaneously turn based. It works out really well. Also the online multiplayer is run through the Gamespy network but it can be accessed through the Steam version. I mostly play LAN's with my friends though.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I've never played a Civ game, but if that one comes out for the DS I'm down.
  • Sorry to necro, but I really want to play this game with someone. Ikariam got me in the mood to play it, but I'm hoping someone out their wants to give it a go.
  • edited April 2008
    OMGOMGCIVIVISTOTALLYAWESOMEOMGSIDMEIERISAGOD!
    Now that I'm done fanboying, I'll be ready to play in a week when I get the chance to edit some settings on my computer. Because of the stupidity of Windows XP and the way Civ was programmed, I can't play it on my account right now.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • I dug out my copy of CivII and started playing. Vista does not like CivII and started crashing on me.
  • Due to so many of us being in different time zones does anyone know of a game we can play in a turn based system where each of us can log in once a day and make our moves? I would pay the money for Civ 4 on Steam if it allowed for such game play.
  • Due to so many of us being in different time zones does anyone know of a game we can play in a turn based system where each of us can log in once a day and make our moves? I would pay the money for Civ 4 on Steam if it allowed for such game play.
    There is an e-mail version in which you email the game save to the next player.
    There is an e-mail version in which you email the game save to the next player.
    Is there any way to stop people from re-loading the save game and playing it until they gain an optimal result?
  • Is there any way to stop people from re-loading the save game and playing it until they gain an optimal result?
    No.
  • I was just checking the Wikipedia and it says the save game files are in XML. Sounds like it would be too easy to cheat (in small amounts) and wreck the game.

I'd like to do a live Civ game but I work nights and don't get back online until after 10PM EST on most nights (if at all). I'd hate to start a game and then have to drop out.

How is the simultaneous multi-player game play?
  • Eh, a bunch of my classmates have been messing with this freeCiv, or something like that. Basically you set up a server serving the game and everyone can do one turn every so many hours. You can set the intervals for the next turn. Though the players need to have the client though. But afaik it's free.
  • Eh, a bunch of my classmates have been messing with this freeCiv, or something like that. Basically you set up a server serving the game and everyone can do one turn every so many hours. You can set the intervals for the next turn. Though the players need to have the client though. But afaik it's free.
    I played that ages ago and it was on the level of Civ-Net. I can go for that or CivNet as I have that on CD.
  • I found the boxed set "Civilization Chronicles" for $25 and picked it up.

I tried out Civ 4 and I notice there is a problem with this game running on Vista. The pointer is all screwed up and flickers a lot. It looks like it is is flickering the background from my desktop rather than the background of the game. Very disturbing.

The box came with manual on CD so I will have to read them. So far I am not liking the controls for the game.
  • If you have a decent computer, (512 mb gfx card, dual core processor, 2gb ram) I would suggest getting Medieval ll: Total War. It's the same cool turn-based action as civ, but you fight over Europe with predetermined cities, and against 20 other factions. There are the Papal States who have control over all of the Christianity factions, and they can call crusades, ex-communicate, etc. It starts in 1080, and you can eventually go to America and attempt to conquer that too.

The AI is extremely difficult, and there are mods to make it even more difficult. I high suggest buying it.
  • I tried out Civ 4 and I notice there is a problem with this game running on Vista.
    I've never really had any troubles with it. Of course, I don't have the latest expansion pack, beyond the sword, so I can't comment on that if there may be any problems with that expansion.

If anyone wants you should check out "sin of a solar empire", it's a Civ-esque game in space and real time. Really good fun.
  • I'm running the game in compatibility mode but I still have the mouse problem. I updated the video card driver but no improvement.
  • I just installed Civ IV plus Warlords and Beyond the Sword on my new Vista box. I have no issues with mice pointers at all.
  • I just installed Civ IV plus Warlords and Beyond the Sword on my new Vista box. I have no issues with mice pointers at all.
    I'm using an Nvidia card (laptop 6100 chipset I think?). If you do a search on Google for mouse problems and Civ you find a lot of people having the problem.
  • edited April 2008
    Until tomorrow (Monday April 28) you can buy Civ IV plus the two expansion packs (Warlords and Beyond the Sword) for $39.95 (American). Also, you can pick up the original Civ IV for just $19.95
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Until tomorrow (Monday April 28) you can buy Civ IV plus the two expansion packs (Warlords and Beyond the Sword) for $39.95 (American). Also, you can pick up the original Civ IV for just $19.95
    I think I'm going to go for it now that I have the new PC> Are the expansions worth it?