This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Steven Colbert 08'!

edited October 2007 in Everything Else
For those of you who don't know, Colbert for President! I think he could be a great president. (better than Bush anyway...) What do you guys think?

Comments

edited October 2007
    Colbert Colbert. Yeah!

And I agree that he's has more potential then Bush has ever dreamed off.
    Then again, I don't live in the US so... who am I to speak?
    Post edited by ... on
  • Seriously, have you ever heard an interview with him when he's not in character? He's wicked smart. We could do worse. Actually, we have done worse.
  • Seriously, have you ever heard an interview with him when he's not in character? He's wicked smart. We could do worse. Actually, wehavedone worse.
    Sadly I have only heard about Colbert when he was speaking that president stuff making fun of Bush, and this. And you have to be smart to be able to stay in character. I mean, Bush can't stay in his 'intelligent' character all the time.
  • I totally just thought it was a bit for the show up until he was asking for signatures on a separate site... Totally worthy of being the president. But I too am not American, so my vote doesn't count.
  • Seriously, have you ever heard an interview with him when he's not in character? He's wicked smart. We could do worse. Actually, wehavedone worse.
    I keep telling people that he would make a great president because he's so intelligent, but they always base his intelligence from Steven Colbert (the character). It's nice to find someone else who thinks he's brilliant.
  • Sadly he will be pummeled into submission by both parties because of Federal Election rules. I've been following this story and the feds are a bit confused because he is doing everything that needs to be done by a candidate but he is running as a fictional character.

It all reminds me of the Richard Pryor movie "Brewsters Millions" where he ran for office and told people to vote "none of the above".
  • He is a crazy smart guy. I just wonder what his actual stances are like, since most of what he does is satire...
  • Get Jon Stewart in on that action and we might be able to turn this country around!

I'm in full support of Colbert for president. Hell, I may actually vote for the guy; we'll see what happens.
  • I think the problem with people like Colbert and Stewart running is that they don't really want to do it. While the president is a person with lots of political power, even if relatively little constitutional power, the life of a president sucks. You are basically a prisoner to the Secret Service. The lives of the other people in your family are terrible as well. I remember hearing stories about how when Reagan got out of office he went to a grocery store for the first time since his term began, and he was amazed at the barcode scanners at the checkout. The life of the president sucks balls in many ways. This is why for as much as I hate Bush, I do not begrudge him his vacations. Colbert, IIRC, has some young children. Their lives are already tough having a famous person as their father. Having famous president for a father would only be worse.
  • I picked up his book the other day, and I just got around to reading it. I must say, it is most high quality.
  • he actually pointed that out on his show and stressed that Doritos was a sponsor of his show, not his presidential campaign. Of course, his promoting on his own television show might be a problem. However, it is quite awesome that his facebook group is growing so fast.
  • edited November 2007
    I think the problem with people like Colbert and Stewart running is that they don't really want to do it. While the president is a person with lots of political power, even if relatively little constitutional power, the life of a president sucks. You are basically a prisoner to the Secret Service. The lives of the other people in your family are terrible as well.
    Even so, someone has to do it. Their families will have a hard time but if its not Colbert's family suffering then it'll be another family having a tough life. Colbert is rather intelligent so I would prefer him.
    Post edited by Tripwire on
  • Uh-oh.
    Can someone explain to me how this isn't fucked up?  I'm not arguing, I just want to see the other side first...
  • Well, his bid for the Democratic ticket was denied.

What I can't figure is, what's his game? Why not run for the whole country? Why not pay the $35,000 for the Republican ticket (which is not subject to a similar approval vote)? If he was only running in South Carolina as a joke, then he truly was making a mockery of the system. Now, the system is a piece of crap, so that's fine, but I honestly think he'd be better than most of these jokers, simply because he isn't a politician. A lot of people seem to think the same way; to say you're running, and then sabotage your own campaign, is a jab to the people who actually want you to win.

Steve, don't take off your clothes and not fuck.
  • Once again, we have a joke candidate. Once again, we should refuse to acknowledge it. He is only "running" in one state. Clearly he has no actual intentions of trying to better the country. His intentions are to promote his show and book. He should be ignored.