This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Front Row Crew members...

edited October 2007 in Everything Else
Most/all of you, the forum members, know about the Front Row Crew. And most/all of the Front Row Crew knows about this forum, and too have joined resulting in also being part of the people addressed in my previous statement. We, the forum members (who have listened to a lot of episodes), might even have heard some of the Front Row Crew members, besides Rym and Scott, on the show. Now, as I said before, most of these Front Row Crew members know this forum, and have joined it. But aren't that talkative/visible. Now, who here on the forum is part of the Front Row Crew?

I know about Cremlian and Katsu, and Emily, though I forgot her nickname on here.

I myself am, gladly... no, sadly? No, no no. I need a neutral description for that, but anyways, I myself am not part of the Front Row Crew. One down, next!

Comments

• Well as much as I think being part of the FRC would be nifty, I'm on the other side of the nation. I believe Uglyfred a kmacintyre44 is part of the FRC. Correct me if I'm wrong. >.> Two down, next!
  • edited October 2007
    If you click on their SN you can see in the right corner if they are or arent. The same place where it says member on our pages.image
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I was wondering how long it would take for somebody to point that out.
  • Advanced Search for role:FRC
    Same, but for FRC moderator.

Also, may I ask the meaning behind the roles "Douchebag" and "Last Chance"?
  • What does it matter?
  • Ha ha, we're cooler than you!

The history of the Crew is long and complicated, and its membership has changed over the years. Save for one person, the founding members are still around, and we've just added more people to our crowd of awesome over the years.

I predict that we will one day all coalesce into an amorphous blob and dominate the world.
  • Well if the world ended and you guys took over it wouldn't be such a bad apocalypse.
  • Well if the world ended and you guys took over it wouldn't be such a bad apocalypse.
    Except for the buttsecks.

Takes a while to get used to the buttsecks.
  • Aha! Evil Viga for ending this topic so quickly, and Neito for finishing it off. I only search for topics hehe, so didn't know about those specific groups. Or that they were in the profile pages.

*checks all groups* Hmmm... Some suspicions of certain people being in the FRC have been confirmed. One non-flamming geek name. Same IP I assume? And I guess the Last Chance group is for those on trial Neito... Douchebag, no idea.

And TheWhaleShark:
    Ha ha, we're cooler than you!
    That's a subjective statement. For you haven't met me in person... then again... crap -__-;;
    Except for the buttsecks.

Takes a while to get used to the buttsecks.
    Well...then...um. Time to form the AFRC! Anti Front Row Crew. Then we shall fight to see who wins the world. *evil laugh* lol
    Aha! Evil Viga for ending this topic so quickly
    It's my villian day. *evil laugh*
  • Time to form the AFRC! Anti Front Row Crew.
    Eh, object plus its anti-object results in nothing. There are scientists who say that there's an anti-world. Which, when coming in contact (don't ask what sort of contact) with our world results in... nothing.

And if the FRC would take over the world. Give me the Netherlands and the Dutch speaking part of Belgium. None of you guys (afaik) can speak Dutch so you have no use for those countries.
  • edited October 2007
    Eh, object plus its anti-object results in nothing. There are scientists who say that there's an anti-world. Which, when coming in contact (don't ask what sort of contact) with our world results in... nothing.
    Then they can be universe A and we'll be universe 1. Or the fighting mongooses.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Is there anyone on the forums that would be considered to reach divinity and join the crew, if you don't mind me asking?
  • edited October 2007
    Is there anyone on the forums that would be considered to reach divinity and join the crew, if you don't mind me asking?
    I was going to post something funny, then something Zen-ish, but screw it, I'ma cut to the chase.

Don't be like that. Rym and Scott talk us up like we're gods and goddesses among men (I mean, we are, but have some humility...), but that's because we're a VERY close-knit group with a certain mindset.

Basically, don't join the actual existing FRC. I mean, maybe we'll meet you one day and think you're cool and shit, but this boat's getting full. We've had a lot of hangers-on in the past - people who see us interacting and REALLY want to be a part of it - and those people just generally don't work out. They try too hard, and the FRC is all about being natural with each other. Your post has a hint of that gushing "OMG YOU GUYZ ARE COOL CAN I PLAY TOO," and that's a surefire way to get us to not like you.

The best advice is our general life advice: the FRC is a mentality moreso than an actual group, and that mentality is one of being, well, awesome. Make your OWN Front Row Crew, and do wacky shit. Have zany adventures. Or don't. Just get a group of good, solid, trustworthy friends together, and make them friends for life. Keep in touch with those people, do things together, help them out when they're down, treat them like family, etc. Get together and forge a direction in life, both individually and as a group.

Essentially, make an adventuring party in real life, and then go find adventure. That's how to join the Crew. Anyone in the world can do it; it's just a matter of having the self-confidence, the willingness, and the openness to do so.

EDIT: And again, the buttsecks cannot be emphasized enough.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Essentially, make an adventuring party in real life, and then go find adventure. That's how to join the Crew. Anyone in the world can do it; it's just a matter of having the self-confidence, the willingness, and the openness to do so.
    That's pretty deep. In a rather nerdy way.
  • I'd just like to point out that, despite not being a member of the FRC, nor having met any of them, I still managed to join the forums before several of their hideous cabal did. What does it mean? That's right: I'm awesome.
  • Then they can be universe A and we'll be universe 1. Or the fighting mongooses.
    Or better: beavers!

Okay, that's just an inside joke. XD
  • Hey, I don't have the FRC role, and I've been around as long as Uglyfred!

Yes, done whining now.
  • Make your OWN Front Row Crew, and do wacky shit. Have zany adventures. Or don't. Just get a group of good, solid, trustworthy friends together, and make them friends for life. Keep in touch with those people, do things together, help them out when they're down, treat them like family, etc. Get together and forge a direction in life, both individually and as a group.
    I think everyone has their front row crew. People in their lives that are just as you described. For example I have The Unadults and I have imagined who would win in the battle of the crews. *evil laugh*

Anyway those are some good words, Shark. *thumbs up*
  • Basically, don't join the actual existing FRC. I mean, maybe we'll meet you one day and think you're cool and shit, but this boat's getting full. We've had a lot of hangers-on in the past - people who see us interacting and REALLY want to be a part of it - and those people just generally don't work out. They try too hard, and the FRC is all about being natural with each other. Your post has a hint of that gushing "OMG YOU GUYZ ARE COOL CAN I PLAY TOO," and that's a surefire way to get us to not like you.
    Actually, I don't agree with this technically. (Otherwise Scott Rubin will never find a girlfriend) Because sometimes you have to make new friends (because your old ones suck or you have moved and need to find closer ones)

Here is some advice, for getting into pre-established groups of people at a convention. Be cool, be yourself, relax and don't pester. For example, if you see a group of people whom you want to hang out with or be friends with, don't rush into this group of people and start trying to grab attention. Instead, go up, introduce yourself, and start a bit of conversation. If of course, they are not on their way somewhere. Once they have to go just say, I'll catch you guys later or something. Now, later on, if you come across them and they look busy just don't bother them at this time other to wave and say hi. Wait until you find one of them looking bored or lost. Come up to them and help them out, invite them to a party or event that is cool. Be normal and yourself and don't talk about your D&D; character named thag for more then 5 seconds. This is vital. Now if all goes well and you find that some member of the group will start actively engaging you and starting to invite you to hang out with the rest. Continue to stay cool. Don't think to yourself "Oh god, I think Scott Rubin doesn't like me" just relax (because you are right), if there is chemistry between the group of people and yourself, things will roll naturally. Most groups have people in the group who are social networkers. Everyone is one of these to some extent but some people are crazy social networkers, meanwhile other people could not care less if they ever met a new person.

Remember: Be Cool, be yourself, relax and don’t pester.

Important note: If a group you are trying to make friends with is having, a conversation you know nothing about, it's ok to ask them for explanations of the topic or what not (because everyone knows people like to talk). But don’t try and change the topic or disrupt the conversation for attention!!!!!!! I have had many cases in the past when I have tried to get a outside friend to bond with another social group of friends to find they could not deal with the fact there were conversations they couldn’t talk about and therefore continually tried to get the subject changed or exclaim weird things.
  • Important note: If a group you are trying to make friends with is having, a conversation you know nothing about, it's ok to ask them for explanations of the topic or what not (because everyone knows people like to talk). But don’t try and change the topic or disrupt the conversation for attention!!!!!!! I have had many cases in the past when I have tried to get a outside friend to bond with another social group of friends to find they could not deal with the fact there were conversations they couldn’t talk about and therefore continually tried to get the subject changed or exclaim weird things.
    Oh man, this is too true. The annoying people are always the ones who come up and try to force the conversation of a group they are not a part of. Like we're walking around taking about board games, and a fanboy following us just keeps yapping about his hentai. Fanboys seem to inherently lack social skills, so giving them social advice really doesn't help. However, if you try to talk to someone and they are balatantly ignoring you, just go away from them. You'd be amazed at how many times fanboys come up yapping, I give the coldest shoulder, and they keep yapping!

Another thing you have to watch out for is when a group is out of your league. For example, if I were to hang out at a meeting of the local theoretical physicists club. These people are not going to have a single conversation I can contribute to, or even understand. The best I can hope for without making a faux pas is to sit quietly and try to learn. To give an example of someone who was out of their league, there was once an FRC literary conversation. A hanger on said "I don't read. Yeah, I don't read books." Yeah, that was the end for them.
  • Don't feel bad about the FRC tag. It just means that you guys don't get to read about our orgies. Yes, you read it right, we have a private forum for orgies. Some of us call it the FRorgies.

We understand that the FRC forum is a place for educated debate. Having such disgusting conversation will bring down the FRC prestige and attract the unsavory element. We like our orgies troll free so thus we had to keep them private. Sorry if it seems like I'm jumping out of lurkdom to reply to this post, I was too busy with the FRorgies.

If you want to join, you'll have to have sex with every FRC crew member. And be willing to pay for dinner.
  • Hey wait a minute.. Where have I been, I haven't seen these threads... Have you guys been excluding me again?
  • edited October 2007
    Post edited by Omnutia on

• If you want to join, you'll have to have sex with every FRC crew member. And be willing to pay for dinner.
    This is going to be a looooonnnnng Otakon 2008. ^_~

That quote just made me laugh so hard today! LOL.
  • I agree with what just about everyone else said so far about the Crew. Many people have tried to get into our circle of friends, only to be found out to be incompatible with all or most of us because of personality traits, personal beliefs, etc. Other people have been basically ousted from the crew because of assholish shenanigans or turning on their friends for one reason or another.

It's not how many people you know, it's the quality of the people. There have been numerous times when Crew members have bailed out other members from problems of all types, and we know we can count on each other barring extreme circumstances. Think about your friends; Would they help you out of a jam? Would you help them? To what extent would the help go in either direction? Are they people you just hang out with, or do you feel like you're with family?

Most of the people who have come in contact with us who we have really separated ourselves from do things like insert themselves into activities they were not invited to, try really really hard to fit in when they obviously do not, invite themselves places without being asked, create uncomfortable situations with others, ignore the group until they need something from one of us, have a horribly grating personality, etc. etc.

That and some people frown on the orgies/butsechts.

P.S. :

If you want to join, you'll have to have sex with every FRC crew member. And be willing to pay for dinner.
    This is going to be a looooonnnnng Otakon 2008. ^_~

That quote just made me so hard today! LOL.
    Wait, what?
  • You didn't get free dinner? You slut!
  • ...ARTBOOOOYYYY!!!!! *shakes fist and chases him*

FRC forum...always entertaining. LOL
  • edited October 2007
    I'm sorry, I do not see the connection between that pic and that xkcd.

[Edit] Oh, ha, I see. On the toolbar.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • To be honest, I didn't even notice the FRC tag until you guys mentioned it. And, again tbh, I don't really care. I love chatting on these forums. I love being entertained and helped by the threads here, and that's all I need. I'm just glad that I was even lucky enough to stumble onto geeknights. I'm not really concerned about who is in the FRC, because it my eyes, we're all still one big family. We may be very dysfunctional family and want to kill each other sometimes, but we're still a family.

I guess the whole point of this was to say thanks for inventing geeknights. Member of the FRC or not, you still make my life much more entertaining. ^__^
    *commence giant FRC forum hug*