This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• Well that's because there is a severe lack of information other than the fact that there are two characters named Meelo and Korra. Also, it takes 100 years in the future; anything could have happened by then.
  • I remain cautiously optimistic.
  • It seems its still really early. They are apparently hiring senior storyboard artists right now, which seems to me like they they are still a ways from actually getting the thing animated let alone seeing it on TV.
  • It's a pity that we won't get any resolution regarding Zuko's mother. Ah well. I'll remain cautiously optimistic as well.
  • edited July 2010
    Avatar: the Legend of Korra was officially announced this morning. It sounds awesome, and not what I was expecting at all.
    The Legend of Korra takes place 70 years after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender and follows the adventures of the Avatar after Aang – a passionate, rebellious, and fearless teenaged girl from the Southern Water Tribe named Korra. With three of the four elements under her belt (Earth, Water, and Fire), Korra seeks to master the final element, Air. Her quest leads her to the epicenter of the modern “Avatar” world, Republic City – a metropolis that is fueled by steampunk technology. It is a virtual melting pot where benders and non-benders from all nations live and thrive. However, Korra discovers that Republic City is plagued by crime as well as a growing anti-bending revolution that threatens to rip it apart. Under the tutelage of Aang’s son, Tenzin, Korra begins her airbending training while dealing with the dangers at large.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • Badass is all I have to say on the subject. Badass. Sad that by the time this comes out, I will be in college and likely without access to cable. But I will find a way to watch this.
  • Steampunk Avatar? STEAMPUNK AVATAR? Sign me up NOW!
  • Steampunk Avatar? STEAMPUNK AVATAR? Sign me up NOW!
  • <3 Yesplease.
  • a metropolis that is fueled by steampunk technology
  • Sounds great.
  • I'm speculating a bit, but I have this feeling that maybe Korra is the grand daughter of Suki and Sokka.
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    Steampunk Avatar? STEAMPUNK AVATAR? Sign me up NOW!
    I knew this would happen! I knew it! This cannot be anything but badass! Michael Dante DiMartino & Bryan Konietzko, you've struck gold once more!
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I cannot wait.
  • Did they change director?
  • edited July 2010
    The creators Mike and Bryan will remain the same.
    As for directors, the original series had a total of 6 different directors, so I'm not too sure on that note.
    Joaquim Dos Santos, who directed many of the original series episodes (including two of the series finale episodes), will be a co-executive producer.

I'm personally extremely excited to watch the growth (however chronologically or thematically diverted) of the story I watched since '05, and am EXTREMELY happy that Mike and Bryan are leading this project (not foreign writers unfamiliar with the intents and goals of the creators).
    However, I do have cautious optimism for how they're going to integrate some of the key elements of the show...
    This should be great!!
    Post edited by remix3211 on
  • You know something very saddening just occurred to me in light of the fact that Tenzin will be training Korra instead of Aang. I've realized that Aang probably did not live as long as he could have after reuniting the world and ending Ozai's wrath. I would say he must have lived to at 60 years old, and I theorize he must have died young because of spending 100 years in the iceberg; his internal clock must have been winding down. I wonder if Katara outlived him?
  • edited July 2010
    You know something very saddening just occurred to me in light of the fact that Tenzin will be training Korra instead of Aang.
    Uh, Tenzin is Aang's son.

And here's an interview that addresses how old Aang lived.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited July 2010
    I just turned to my little brother and said: "Hey, did you hear about the new Airbender show? It's going to be set 70 years later and have steampunk."

He made this face:
    Post edited by Walker on
  • GeoGeo
    edited July 2010
    You know something very saddening just occurred to me in light of the fact that Tenzin will be training Korra instead of Aang.

Andhere's an interviewthat addresses how old Aang lived.
    Um...I know Tenzin is Aang's son, it's rather obvious. Regarding the interview, I guess my theory was correct then.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • edited July 2010
    Mike and Bryan mentioned that they were going to integrate some of the past season as flashbacks and what not.
    I think they also dated this new show much later so that they could perhaps address new issues (since the war is over) but also so it could have a sense of renewal, so that they don't use all the same characters, which, I think, would kinda make the show a bit unexciting... there would be too much repetition.
    Post edited by remix3211 on
  • edited July 2010
    Um...I know Tenzin is Aang's son, it's rather obvious.
    ...Then why are you talking about Aang being trained by Tenzin?

[Edit]OH. You mean trained Korra being trained by Tenzin instead of by Aang. I read it the other way.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Mike and Bryan mentioned that they were going to integrate some of the past season as flashbacks and what not.
    I think they also dated this new show much later so that they could perhaps address new issues (since the war is over) but also so it could have a sense of renewal, so that they don't use all the same characters, which I think would kinda make the show a bit unexciting... there would be too much repetition.
    I hope this show doesn't suffer from Chrono Cross Syndrome.
  • edited July 2010
    I just realized something... this probably marks the first American action cartoon to star a woman. If the creators continue to make Avatar shows in the same timeline, this may become our equivilant of Gundam or Macross (i.e. sprawling speculative fiction masterpiece set in, at least, one continuity). If, in 30 years, they're still making good Avatar shows... I can deal with that.
    Q: What did you guys think of the live-action version of “The Last Airbender”?
    Konietzko: We’re just really focused on this new show right now, and kind of taking this off in its own direction and not concerning ourselves with that right now.
    They're so diplomatic.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
    Ahem
  • Ahem
    Come on! I was born in 1992! Cut me some slack!
  • Ahem
    Come on! I was born in 1992! Cut me some slack!
    All right, all right. I was just taking the piss anyway :P
  • I would love to see Avatar become the American Gundam show, especially if Mike and Bryan are given creative control over it. So not necessarily writing all the shows or movies, but they have final approval on any idea.
  • edited July 2010
    I would love to see Avatar become the American Gundam show, especially if Mike and Bryan are given creative control over it. So not necessarily writing all the shows or movies, but they have final approval on any idea.
    They could even have "Turn A Avatar" with characters from every Avatar show, and Japanese fans of Avatar would be totally pissed off that it will never be licenced. :P

Edit: Less than 24 hours after this comment was posted, Turn A Gundam was licenced by Bandai Entertainment.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • Man, I want to see this new Avatar. And if it's great, I hope it extends to the Earth and Fire Nations.