This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• Ahem
    Come on! I was born in 1992! Cut me some slack!
    Fine, but the Powerpuff Girls was definitely within your lifetime.
  • Ahem
    Fine, but the Powerpuff Girls was definitely within your lifetime.
    I've seen maybe two episodes of Powerpuff Girls, but I conced your point. Let's fix my statment.
    I just realized something... this probably marks the first American action-adventure cartoon to star a woman with a continuous, serious plot.
    I'm Peter Guilherme, I welcome your thoughts.
  • I am legitimately excited about this. Especially since they never actually made that Avatar movie.
  • edited July 2010
    Especially since they never actually made that Avatar movie.
    Yeah, it's too bad that M. Knight died in that bus crash after being raped by a gibbon. I'm sure he would have done a fine job translating the genius of Avatar to the big screen. The world has been robbed of his genius and vision.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Ahem
    All right, all right. I was just taking the piss anyway :P
    That's okay, I was gonna do it if you didn't. My mom brought home this series to me when I threw a fit because all of the cartoons on TV were about dumb women getting in trouble and being saved by men. :)
    I just realized something... this probably marks the first American action-adventurecartoon to star a womanwith a continuous, serious plot.
    Wow, you really don't know anything about She-Ra, do you? Maybe you should add "of my lifetime" to that statement.
  • Wow, you really don't know anything about She-Ra, do you? Maybe you should add "of my lifetime" to that statement.
    You actually think She-Ra had a continuous, serious plot? I watched that show in first-run and revisited it in reruns; after you get past the intro movie (or the first five episodes) it devolves into the typical "bad-guy/dilemma of the week" formula. That show was just as much of a commercial for the toys as He-Man was, and holds up to the ages just about as well (which is 'not at all'). Sure, it had strong female protagonists, but continuous, serious plot? Not hardly.
  • That guy has ludicrously good balance.
  • edited July 2010
    Wow, you really don't know anything about She-Ra, do you? Maybe you should add "of my lifetime" to that statement.
    You actually think She-Ra had a continuous, serious plot? I watched that show in first-run and revisited it in reruns; after you get past the intro movie (or the first five episodes) it devolves into the typical "bad-guy/dilemma of the week" formula. That show was just as much of a commercial for the toys as He-Man was, and holds up to the ages just about as well (which is 'not at all'). Sure, it had strong female protagonists, but continuous, serious plot? Not hardly.
    It was about the Rebellion trying to free Etheria from the Hoarde, and the progress they made continued from one episode to another, which was a pretty serious and continuous plot of you look at cartoons in general. There were mysteries that carried on/were resolved throughout the length of the show. Sure, it was a kid's show, and it's no Avatar... but it had a lot more serious and continuous themes than most of the cartoons I've seen. I think it holds up better than He-Man; I watched the first season on Hulu last year.

I'm not saying that She-Ra was philosophically complicated or that it had a GOOD plot, but there was certainly one there. Thought there were lots of fillers, not every episode was pure filler that didn't somehow advance the plot.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Wow, you really don't know anything about She-Ra, do you? Maybe you should add "of my lifetime" to that statement.
    It was about the Rebellion trying to free Etheria from the Hoarde, and the progress they made continued from one episode to another, which was a pretty serious and continuous plot of you look at cartoons in general. There were mysteries that carried on/were resolved throughout the length of the show. Sure, it was a kid's show, and it's no Avatar... but it had a lot more serious and continuous themes than most of the cartoons I've seen. I think it holds up better than He-Man; I watched the first season on Hulu last year.

I'm not saying that She-Ra was philosophically complicated or that it had a GOOD plot, but there was certainly one there. Thought there were lots of fillers, not every episode was pure filler that didn't somehow advance the plot.
    Nuri, I'm trying really, really hard not to laugh at you right now. ;)
  • edited July 2010
    Nuri, I'm trying really, really hard not to laugh at you right now. ;)
    You can laugh, it's cool. :) Not everyone had the same deep, spiritual connection with the show that I did. :P

ETA: It should be noted that I have no problem with anyone else thinking the show is drivel... I am telling you what I, personally, got out of it. And admitting that yes, yes I can sit through multiple episodes of it at the ripe, old age of 25 and enjoy the show.
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • This new series was the news that made my head explode.
  • Aw man! She looks hot.
  • Aw man! She looks hot.
    You can't even see her face or any defining physical characteristics...
  • edited July 2010
    Aw man! She looks hot.
    You can't even see her face or any defining physical characteristics...
    All he cares about is seeing her from behind... :P

Edit: Aw hell. Ametto's female. Now my innuendo entirely breaks down.
    Post edited by progSHELL on
  • All he cares about is seeing her from behind... :P

I guess seeing from below could work in this case.
  • All he cares about is seeing her from behind... :P

I guess seeing from below could work in this case.
    image I don't think that you can see her from below. Oh my god, this is the worst discussion ever.
  • Now my innuendo entirely breaks down.
    Strap-ons.
  • Things seem to have gotten slightly too classy.
  • Some female cartoon action heroes:
    She-Ra
    Powepuff Girls
    Jem (There was action, though most of it took the form of keytar battles)
    Rainbow Brite (for a younger audience, but there was action/adventure)
    Strawberry Shortcake (for a younger audience, but there was action/adventure)
    X-Men (there were some bad-ass women)
    Wonder Woman
    Penelope Pitstop (yes, it is has more female stereotypes than one can count, but she was a female action hero in cartoon form)
    Sailor Moon (while not a US made show, it became popular with the US mainstream children audience)

Even shows that centered on a male lead often had women capable of saving themselves:
    Heman (Teela - she was a fuskin' Warrior Goddess)
    ThunderCats (Cheetara)
    SilverHawks (Steelheart)
    Batman (ZOMG, there are a lot of bad-ass women on both sides of good and evil in the various batman cartoons)
  • Beast Wars had Blackarachnia, who started out evil, turned good, and was badass in her own right.
  • Beast Wars had Blackarachnia, who started out evil, turned good, and was badass in her own right.
    That show was terrible, though.
    ...I'm not talking to you now. Thanks for trying to destroy my childhood.
  • Hexadecimal & Dot Matrix from ReBoot.
    What ruined my childhood was watching the series again. It's like He-Man, it just doesn't hold up anymore.
    What ruined my childhood was watching the series again. It's like He-Man, it just doesn't hold up anymore.
    But...Dinobot! Silverbolt...*Sigh.*
    I'll have to try and watch it again sometime...
  • Aang train Korra? Korra is Aang.
  • Legend of Korra seems to be everything I wanted to see in a new Avatar show. Fuck yeah steampunk setting. Almost makes up for the movie.
  • Legend of Korra seems to be everything I wanted to see in a new Avatar show. Fuck yeah steampunk setting. Almost makes up for the movie.
    What movie?
  • edited July 2010
    Almost makes up for the movie.
    What is this movie you speak of? I do not believe anything like that exists.

Edit: Oz by 9 seconds. :P
    Post edited by Rochelle on