This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• edited July 2009
    That's just the custom, it seems. Naruto fangirls in particular are guilty of it, but it certainly isn't exclusive to them.
    It's a Japanese thing, especially in fujoshi circles. Abbreviating the titles of shows (Prince of Tennis=Tenipuri, Hikaru no go=Hikago) and yaoi pairings (Arthur Kirkland x Kiku Honda=Asakiku, Abe x Mihashi=Abemiha) is really common.

I'm just missing the last disc.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited July 2009
    It makes sense that it would come from Japan.
    Get that disc in whatever form is necessary!
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Seriously, no love for Toph + Mai?!
  • Seriously, no love for Toph + Mai?!
    I am a Toph fan. She's probably one my favorite characters. I think it's probably because I can relate to her tomboy tendencies, plus I always thought if I were an elemental bender I'd be an Earth Bender. Her humor and sarcasm are right up my alley and when she can figure out how to do a certain special bending, I was so stoked.

Mai is cool, but they really didn't go into too much depth with her. She made a good coupling with Zuko, but I'll still have my secret fantasy of Zutara.
  • Toph was the only character that never annoyed me.
  • Toph was the only character that never annoyed me.
    I think Toph might's annoyed me once. Namely her silly little crush on Sokka. It was unnecessary, especially since it went absolutely nowhere, and Sokka stayed with Suki.
    But I know what you mean. Most of the characters in this show have their moments of being annoying.
  • edited July 2009
    Katara annoyed me more often than any other character.
    EDIT: Oh, Iroh, Appa and Momo never annoyed me either.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on
  • Katara annoyed me more often than any other character.
    EDIT: Oh, Iroh, Appa and Momo never annoyed me either.
    Iroh: Fine! I will teach you the next set of moves....right after I finish my roast duck.
    That's my favorite Iroh line.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2010
    New "The Last Airbender" Super Bowl Promo

All I have to say is wow...
    Post edited by Geo on
  • That...Actually doesn't look terrible...
    I hope this winds up being good, honestly.
  • I hope this winds up being good, honestly.
    Shouldn't that be the default position on pretty much everything?
  • I hope this winds up being good, honestly.
    Shouldn't that be the default position on pretty much everything?
    I dunno, if it looked bad, I'd stop caring. I guess I can say I actually have hope for this now.
  • edited February 2010
    Color me impressed. I'm surprised that they nailed the aesthetic as much as they did.

So the CG and Special Effects look good, now let's cross our fingers on the dialogue and acting.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • Color me impressed. I'm surprised that they nailed the aesthetic as much as they did.

So the CG and Special Effects look good, now let's cross our fingers on the dialogue and acting.
    I honestly have a lot of faith in the acting because Dev Patel is playing Zuko. His performance was outstanding in Slumdog Millionaire, so if the acting from the rest cast is bad; at least he will be there.
  • Though I did like Dev Patel's performance in Slumdog Millionaire, I'm just irked at the fact that the Fire Nation (which is very distinctly based in the Japanese culture) is being played by largely Indian actors. We've already had this discussion before, but I guess it'll always be in the back of my mind.

Then again, maybe it won't. Hopefully the acting is good enough where I won't even notice their race.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2010
    To be perfectly honest though, the reason why I have faith in it is because of Shyamalan. Before anyone says anything, I wanna say that I'm a little ehh on him, but then again I loved Sixth Sense and The Village. I feel that at this point his career, he has a hump he's got to get over because like authors and any other job that facilitates the creation of artistic media, filmmakers can have bad periods of their careers. Hopefully this film will allow him to cross that hump, and he can move onto future projects that might turn out very well for him. I've also heard some people outside the forums (not saying who) comparing this to Dragon Ball Evolution. I disagree with that heavily, because unlike the Dragon Ball series, Avatar actually has meaningful substance and content that is worth making a live-action adaptation of.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • I've also heard some people outside the forums (not saying who) comparing this to Dragon Ball Evolution. I disagree with that heavily, because unlike the Dragon Ball series, Avatar actually has meaningful substance and content that is worth making a live-action adaptation of.
    I'm just saying, they're in a similar situation. Avatar might not be anime, but EVERYONE says it's anime, so it's in the same boat as the usual anime/video game movie adaptations, in that they're almost always universally bad. Dragon Ball Evolution was just a recent example.
  • edited February 2010
    I'm disappointed because I almost got into the pre-screening for The Last Airbender last night in Phoenix, though I didn't know what movie it was at the time. I was probably 20 or 30 people away from being let in before they turned the remainder of the line away. I guess they'd reached their quota for my age group; overheard someone say they were still looking for teenagers to be let in.

Bummed when I found out what movie it was for this morning.
    Post edited by RyienKu on
  • I'm disappointed because I almost got into the pre-screening for The Last Airbender last night in Phoenix, though I didn't know what movie it was at the time. I was probably 20 or 30 people away from being let in before they turned the remainder of the line away. I guess they'd reached their quota for my age group; overheard someone say they were still looking for teenagers to be let in.

Wait a minute, are you saying they did a sneak preview of a finished product?
  • I'm disappointed because I almost got into the pre-screening for The Last Airbender last night in Phoenix, though I didn't know what movie it was at the time. I was probably 20 or 30 people away from being let in before they turned the remainder of the line away. I guess they'd reached their quota for my age group; overheard someone say they were still looking for teenagers to be let in.

Wait a minute, are you saying they did a sneak preview of a finished product?
    No, it wasn't finished. It was a pre-screening to gauge audience reaction, often those will have unfinished special effects, temporary scores, etc.

Aint it Cool News has two reviews from the screening, which is how I found out which movie I didn't get to see; they wouldn't tell us even after we filled out NDAs.
  • That trailer has a great punch to it. I really liked the special effects on the bending powers.
  • I wonder what kind of twist ending this will have. It is directed by M. Night Shyamalan.
  • I wonder what kind of twist ending this will have. It is directed by M. Night Shyamalan.
    Spoilers: Aang is really a blind doctor with glass bones who's family was murdered by aliens after he joined the isolationist airbender village.

He's also dead.
    It won't have one, the creators of the show had far too much input in the production of the film. Nickelodeon also kept him in check.
  • It won't have one, the creators of the show had far too much input in the production of the film. Nickelodeon also kept him in check.
    Shyamalan is also a big fan. In either Season 2 or 3 in the extras, there is an interview with him and the creators.
  • GeoGeo
    edited February 2010
    While it's too early to say what the content and the performances will be like, I think Shyamalan has got the visual style down if the TV spot is any indication.

EDIT: For me, I think the one thing that will carry this film on is Dev Patel as Zuko because I couldn't have imagined a better choice for a live-action Zuko. I don't know what it is, but I feel that the decision to use Patel just makes sense.
    Post edited by Geo on
  • This movie looks way too srs bsns.
    Is that necessarily a bad thing?
    Yeah. It pretty much takes away 70% of what made Avatar good.
    Yeah. It pretty much takes away 70% of what made Avatar good.
    Then again, TV Spots often get the most action packed and epic moments to pique interest in potential viewers.