This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What's a decent headset for gaming?

edited October 2007 in Technology
Trying to find out a decent headset for gaming. Do I need to spend $50+ for a decent headset, or do the $20 - $30 headsets work fine? Is there a certain brand better than others? What do others use for their gaming?

Comments

• edited October 2007
    You probably should ask yourself these questions or explain more in depth to give us a better idea of what to suggest to you:

What sort of gaming do you plan on using it for?
    What sort of headphones do you prefer?

I use $20 Logitech headset I got at Walmart. It works fine, has a long cord, and I haven't had any problems with it. However, I only use it to talk on Ventrilo fro when I game on the PC.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Sorry, PC gaming. For Team Fortress 2, Call of Duty, ect.
    I'm not sure what type of headphones, whatever sound good as well has provide a good mic. Durability is also desired (in case my son gets a hold of it).
  • I have had a Plantronics set, I spent about $30 or $40 on way back. It has cushioned ear covers (the big kind) and a mic with a soft cover on a thick adjustable arm. I have never had any problem with it and the sound quality is great. Now, there are very nice sets that are cheaper too, but whatever you're getting, consider your needs:

1. If it's just a mic with a headset, make sure it's mono-directional, or everyone will hear feedback from the game when you talk.

2. If you want to be able to wear headphones for sound so that you can avoid using speakers for whatever reason, get something with big ear covers. It helps with noise cancellation and typically have a larger range of highs and lows.

3. Plantronics is the brand I've come to love, and most of the people in my old gaming clan use various types within Plantronics ranging from cheap-o to ludicrously expensive and they're all happy.