This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

iMac G3: Recommend a linux distro to install

edited October 2007 in Technology
My brother's girlfriend gave my niece and nephew her old iMac G3.  It currently has Mac OS 8.6 on it.  It's 333mhz, 64MB of memory and has 6 GB total of disk space. It runs pretty slow and I'm not all that impressed with the OS much either.   I've been thinking of installing linux on it.  I looked at installing Xubuntu but it requires at least 128MB of memory.   What other distro's out their might you all recommend using that have little memory requirements to run.

Comments

• You need to use a PPC version of Linux, not x86. Amazing, the timeliness of our CPU architecture episode.
  • Just a heads up if you aren't to familiar with macs getting linux to install is a bit of a pain in the ass. I have pretty much the exact same iMac running Gentoo and it took me a whole lot of google to get it to finally work
  • Oh wow. I'm still using my old G3 ibook (as an extended wireless card for my desktop, mostly). It runs everything up to OS 10.3.9 fine. Ubuntu will run on pretty much anything. It works perfectly on my 12 year old Quantex notebook. (Even though I can't update without getting an external modem hooked up)
  • I've run Fiesty Fawn (Ubuntu 7.04)on my G4, and it worked just fine, which was quite amazing to me seeing as I have one of those custom aftermarket video cards in it (have you ever seen an Ati Radeon 9200 card with 256 megs of ram?). I could be mistaken, but standard pc100 should work in it, so putting more ram in the thing shouldn't be too hard and should be fairly cheap.
  • Cool, thanks for the suggestions guys. :)