This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 071030 - Portal

2»

Comments

• That is the most horribly disorganized tip guide I've ever seen.
  • I noticed on some gaming site a little while back that someone had made a portal mod for HL2. Has anyone seen/used this mod? If so, were you able to see Gordon with the portals positioned correctly?
  • It's around here somewhere, someone tried it. I don't remember the results though. Sorry :(
    edited November 2007
    @SailThat's a good hypothesis, but, the building is in major disrepair. Do you think they (the scientists) would leave all those broken things in that state if they still used the building? Scientists installed the morality core when GLaDOS tried to kill everyone with that nerve gas, she didn't succeed at that (due to morality core), so I think that it's most probable that the morality core was only installed so that the scientists present in the facility could get out, and because nobody was there to remove the morality core, or shutdown GLaDOS, she/it just continued what she was programmed to do. Doing science. *insert standard spoiler warning tags before and after white text.*
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited November 2007
    @Nineless The building may be in disrepair, but look at the offices. They're still very shiny and nice. Also, the cube transport system works fine. I suspect that the rest of the building is largely not used at all. It's stuff like sewers, vents, and warehouses. Either way, we'll find out eventually. Valve said they wrote a detailed back story, of which will work it's way into future Portals and Half-lifes.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I listened to the Portal episode a couple of days ago, and realized I had to try Portal. I'm not really a gamer, and generally not comfortable with FPSs, but I enjoy puzzles and exploration. I guess I'm just the type of person Rym expected would like this game. So I installed Steam and bought Portal. I wasn't sure it would work very well as my PC is at the minimum requirements. The game lags from time to time, but it works! I have very little time to play these days, and I'm aching for more playing time. This looks soooo promising!

Thank you Scrym for ruining my life with temptation once again!
  • I really enjoyed this game. Definetly game of the year. Not much to say since it's been said by everyone.

But, what I'm most interested in is how the story of Portal lies into the HL universe. It should make for some interesting story bits, especially with the ending of Episode 2.
  • @Sail and Nineless: Even though the morality core was installed, she can obviously still kill. I mean, she tried to bake the main character. I assume she just has to do the killing indirectly, or only in the name of science, or something. I got the distinct impression that she somehow incapacitated all the nerve gas survivors and stuck them in stasis, where she wakes them up one-by-one to put them through horrible experiments.
  • edited November 2007
    I had a fantastic/horrible post-Portal experience today:

The setup: I got only 3 of hours sleep after beating the game last night, and my brain has been in this half awake/half dreaming state all day with my thoughts constantly wandering off into the Portal story and atmosphere. I work at a 100 year old museum that is beautiful and well kept, and the office I currently use is almost 5 meters high with empty white walls that gives a stylish but sterile impression. I can walk just 5 meters from my office and be in the middle of the viking age and medieval exhibitions that are even spacier.

What happened: Due to some complications I had to use the bathroom in another part of the building. I'm not actually allowed on that floor and had to sneak in through a glitch in the security system by using the freight elevator (it's true!). This office floor has darker walls, narrow corridors and claustrophobic low roof (actually two low floors have been crammed into one original). The doors squeak, and the place is both worn down and dirty. In the background the elevator made horrible metallic noises that seemed to come from all directions. It's truly a dark and dirty world hidden behind the facade!

I didn't know where the bathroom was and had to navigate by the handwritten notes on the doors while I hoped not to meet the security boss. He has an office on that floor and had personally forbidden me to go in there yesterday. A door with "Please don't smoke here" turned out to be what I was looking for. I did my business as fast as I could while listening nervously to noises from activity going on around me, and sneaked back out again not meeting anyone.

As I sat back down in my white office (where I sit with two other people along a table, with a computer each, in front of a large window with reduced visibility) I couldn't get the adrenaline out of my body and could hardly get any work done. If you have played most of Portal you will know what that felt like. I'm sorry if you expected this story to contain portals. There are several in the medieval hall, but I didn't go in there today. ;-)
    Post edited by navelfluff on
  • edited November 2007
    Is it just me or does the idea of portal jumping in order to fight striders seem incredibly awesome?
    Even more awesome would be if both sides have portal guns.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • Is it just me or does the idea of portal jumping in order to fight striders seem incredibly awesome?
    Even more awesome would be if both sides have portal guns.
    I'm sure you put a portal behind you, yell "nanny nanny boo boo" to the nearest stridor, wait for his weapon to shoot at you, then jump out of the way as the bullets/beams enter the portal behind you and exit the next portal above you, heading straight for the strider. Sounds fun!
  • One thing to remember. The Cake < The Milk. For although the cake is a lie; The milk is not ready and you are not ready for THE MILK!! (Anyone who gets that plays good games.)
  • I guess I don't play good games.  :(
  • The reference is from psychonauts which you are fated to play so do not worry.
    Back on topic, I cant wait for the level editor to come out and see videos of people making levels akin to those super hard Mario ones.
  • The reference is from psychonauts which you are fated to play so do not worry. Back on topic, I cant wait for the level editor to come out and see videos of people making levels akin to those super hard Mario ones.
    The level editor is out.  People are making maps, you can Google around if you want to try them out.
  • I hope this hasn't been posted yet, but there are brand new Portal shirts on sale at the Valve store. The best part is that they look like shirts I'd actually wear, not like other attempts at Portal merch.
  • I have that first portal shirt. I like it.
  • edited October 2008
    So the new portal levels... Has anyone tried them, what are your oppinions?
    http://portalprelude.com/
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
  • So the new portal levels... Has anyone tried them, what are your oppinions?
    You make it sound like it's just a valvE released map pack. It's an entire mod, with its own story, own levels, own voices. I have it downloaded via Fileplanet, have yet to boot into Windows and install it though.