This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Facebook Application?

edited October 2007 in Technology
I have a Facebook account, but I don't actually use it. However, I recognize the quality of Facebook, and if I had a use for it, I would probably be using it quite a bit. Regardless, I'm thinking about making a GeekNights Facebook application. For you Facebook users out there, what would you want such an application to do? I'd probably start by having it notify you of new GeekNights stuff from within Facebook, but what else?

Comments

• Maybe being able to listen to the episodes directly form facebook.
  • Well, I can't make a FaceBook application until I upgrade this web server. I might be taking the server down for some hours some weekend soon. So yeah.
  • It might be nice to see the top ten forum discussions as well.
  • It would be great to have the things of the day too.
  • It would be great to have the things of the day too.

Maybe being able to listen to the episodes directly form facebook.
    I think these two ideas are the best. I can't think of anything to add, myself.
  • If this were to happen, I would never get off Facebook...
  • If this were to happen, I would never get off
    Tragedy!
  • If this were to happen, I'd try Facebook.
  • I hate FaceBook. Lame, but I have one... hehe.
  • That would be fucking awesome. I was thinking of suggesting this a few days ago.
  • I hate FaceBook. Lame, but I have one... hehe.
    My sentiments exactly. :'(
  • Still, a Geeknights app would be totally rad, I just am fresh out of ideas.
  • I want a single place where I can go to reminisce over internet memes of the past. I want the badger song, banana phone, and the all your base music video all on a single page.
  • I want a single place where I can go to reminisce over internet memes of the past. I want the badger song, banana phone, and the all your base music video all on a single page.
    Yeah, like a "Things of the Day Hall of Fame". This would be really helpful to those, like me, who aren't necessarily up with everything that's happened on the web in the last 10 years. Okay, maybe it's just me. :D

Heck, a TotD HoF sounds like a good idea, with or without a Facebook app....
    Awesome idea. It would actually give me a reason to start using Facebook again.
    Awesome idea. It would actually give me a reason to start using Facebook again.
    As long as it doesn't look like clutter I'm all for the ToTD HoF idea. Ahh...I remember singing that banana phone song with my friends/co workers back at GameStop. Now the mentioning of it got it stuck in my head.
  • Maybe you code as well do a HowTo on it. ;)
  • edited October 2007
    Maybe an alerter? For when new episodes are released?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Maybe an alerter? For when new episodes are released?
    They have one. The RSS feed. :D
  • edited October 2007
    Maybe an alerter? For when new episodes are released?
    They have one. The RSS feed. :D
    Ha, yeah XP

The problem I see is that there is little actual use for a box that plays GeekNights episodes, or one that displays TotD. The most useful idea so far has been some sort of forum app, but that would be kind of excluding to the rest of the listener base. Although, we are much more awesome than the rest of the listener base =)
    Post edited by Sail on
  • The Listening to Episodes directly and the ToTD ideas are great.
  • The problem I see is that there is little actual use for a box that plays GeekNights episodes, or one that displays TotD.

Most Facebooks apps have no real use anyways, I'd rather show off a collection of Things of the Days than a little box that gives you "My stripper name."
  • Alright, if you people want searchable things of the day, or things of the day in a facebook application, then I need some volunteers to do the manual labor. Basically, someone has to go through the archives by hand and create a csv file containing all the information about every thing of the day. If someone does this, then I can put all that into a database and make cool things happen. Also, if someone does this we'll be able to find all the broken links, and maybe repair some of them. If you guys want, we can also do this for the news and other links as well.

I won't lie, this kind of process will be tedious and boring. You'll be copying and pasting your brains out for hours. This is why it is not something that Rym or I will be doing. If you guys want it, you have to do the tedious part. I will give the specific instructions on exactly what to do after someone volunteers. Any takers? If more than one person volunteers, you can even split up the work amongst yourselves.
  • Okay. I'm in.

I don't know what a csv file is though. *sweatdrop*
  • In the meantime, I made you guys a Facebook group. You can find it by searching for geeknights. I will add a picture to it when I get home.
  • I guess I'll give it a try, so count me in.

(is this just about tagging links or is there more involved?)
  • Ooh, finally a reason to go back to Facebook. I'm just so lazy when it comes to going on the internet when I'm not at work. Damn blocked sites at work.
  • Basically, someone has to go through the archives by hand and create a csv file containing all the information about every thing of the day.Do you have the things of the day in your website DB? Or do you just have all the html for each post stored in a single field?
  • Ok, what I need people to do is this. A CSV file is just a text file, so you can use notepad, vi, emacs, or whatever. CSV stands for comma separated values. Each value is separated by a comma. Each item is on a new line. So each thing of the day gets its own line, and all the different pieces of information about that thing of the day are separated by commas. The information I need for each thing of the day are, episode number, person, link, link text. Here is an example to get you started with the last four things of the day.

071031,scott,http://www.flickr.com/photos/matsgull/sets/72157602185120037/,The Money Bin
    071031,rym,http://www.gametrailers.com/player/27289.html,Halloween... for the Atari 2600
    071030,scott,http://electrocity.co.nz/,Electrocity
    071030,rym,http://www.mapmsg.com/games/statetris/europe/,Statetris

So basically I need someone to make a text file that looks like this and contains the info for every single thing of the day ever. When the text file is done, just e-mail it as an attachment to me. If you run into any problems, for example if one of the items itself contains a comma, just put a big note that I will see next to that thing of the day, and I can go through and fix the few that have trouble. It's easier than teaching you what to do about that situation.

I'm leaving it up to you people to coordinate and avoid doing redundant work.
  • Basically, someone has to go through the archives by hand and create a csv file containing all the information about every thing of the day.
    Do you have the things of the day in your website DB? Or do you just have all the html for each post stored in a single field?
    It's just the HTML in a single field. This is why work will need to be done to fix that.