This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Saturn Awards for Best Video Games

edited May 2006 in Video Games
The Saturn Awards, from the Science Fiction Writers of America, named their best video games on May 2nd. I'm not much into gaming. What do you think of their choices? Here are their winners:

Best Science Fiction Video Game:
Star Wars: Battlefront II

Best Fantasy Video Game:
God of War

Best Horror Video Game:
Resident Evil 4

Thanks,
Colin

Comments

• edited May 2006
    I dont know if I agree with Resident Evil winning best horror game, not because its not great, which it is, but because it wasn't too scary. For real horror games I'd go with Eternal Darkness: Sanitys Requiem or any Silent Hill.
    Post edited by NinjaNed on
  • Well, considering it's from the Sci-Fi writers of America they are choosing games based on the writing of the story and not the gameplay or other factors. I'm also going to assume they are only choosing games from this past year, meaning since last E3. With that, I think their choices were pretty good if those were the only 3 categories. I just wonder how many games they tried exactly. I'm sure there are some independent text adventures which have better writing that Star Wars: Battlefront II. I also wonder if they played that new Oblivion game which is supposedly so amazing I'm sure it could beat God of War.
  • I don't know if FEAR would be Horror, or if it was released in the past year, but both seem likely to me. I would place it higher in horrorness than RE4.
  • well, Eternal Darkness was released some 5? or so years ago. So I figure that doesn't count.

The last Silent Hill was Silent Hill 4: the Room. haven't heard anything about that..

I've Heard FEAR is a scary game. (one would hope with a name like that)

RE4 is a awesome game, but I aggree it's more creepy then actually scary.
  • Where's the love for Indigo Prophecy?
  • FEAR was pretty scary, even scarier than Doom 3. Quake 4 sort of had the same creepy feeling as Doom 3. Maybe it's because they use the same engine.

Actually, FEAR stands for First Encounter Assault Recon, but it turned out scary anyway. The little girl was a nice addition. I had loved the ring, so I freaked out when I saw her in this game. The story line is pretty in depth, especially if you listen to all the messages on the phones throughout the office building level. Definitely check it out if you have a good PC.

As far as Scott's review of the game, I don't agree with him. He didn't catch the point of the slow mo. In fact, I and most of the people I've talked to who played the game, said they used that aspect 80% of the time they were playing.
  • Unfortunately I feel that "little girls" are becomming incredibly cliche. In fact the whole "horror" genre is going down the shit hole, games and movies alike. Just my opinion but I don't think I'm alone in this view haha
  • I didn't think that FEAR was so scary... Movies can be scary, but it's a whole different story when you have a gun in your hand, and you can fight back.
  • I'm with you on the little girls thing. It seems like every horror movie and game lately uses a freaky l ittle girl. Did Ringu start a trend? I'm not scared of little girls, Bring back the monsters.
  • I prefer the genre of horror where you never actually see the objects of everyone's fear. I love the psychological horror/fun of Vincent Price/William Castle films.
  • Yes. It is true that little girls are taking over horror films, but you can't blame them. When have they had any attention till now? I think it's a cry for attention. She wants to be loved!

She's only been used by the Ringu films (Ringu 1, Ringu 2, Ringu 0, yes, there's a Ringu 0), American Ring films, and Dark Water. This sounds kind've ridiculous if you ask me. Ironically, all these movies are made by the same group of directors. The man who produced the ones in Japan just came over and helped produce the American versions.
  • edited May 2006
    Escape Pod, another podcast I listen to regularly and you should too, had a poem about monsters and non-scary things being scary. Pretty neat stuff, you should check it out.

http://www.escapepod.org/2005/11/15/ep-poem-making-monsters/
    Post edited by Phantasos on
  • I second that, Escape Pod is truly excellent stuff. Despite being a free podcast, they somehow manage to pay their contributors, so it's not all low grade drek. And they release under a CC licence, as all the good podcasts do.
  • I third, and the motion carries.

I'm pretty sure this week they start casting the Hugo Award nominees due to deals they've worked out with the authors.
  • Looks like I have a new podcast to subscribe to.