This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Hometown Wiki

edited November 2007 in Forum Game
A post by Sail in the 'Things you see everyday that others would find interesting' thread got me to thinking about a potentially fun forum wiki game.
  1. Go to your towns Wiki page (If your town doesn't have one, make one loser!)
  2. Check out the pictures on the page.
  3. Post a picture here and tell a bit about them. Have you been there? Any fun tales to tell?
I'll start!
I see this from where I sit. Or rather I could if I didn't have the only windowless cube on the East wall of this stupid building.

There are dozens of these bridges. They've taken a decade to build (and rebuild) and don't look nearly this cool IRL.

This is our art museum. Yes, we do indeed have an art museum designed by I.M. Pei and Richard Meier.

Comments

I walk by this church every second day or so.

This way I drive along when ever I want to go to down town.

This used to be a university during the GDR. Now it belongs to a TV station. We call it "Wisdom Tooth" or "The Book".

This is the new convention center. I go there about 2 times a year for the book fair and the games convention.

This is the view when I lay in the park on a summers day.
  • edited November 2007
    Fairfax County, VA:

Gunston Hall, home of George Mason

Mount Vernon, home of George Washington

Lorton Prison, which is abandonded and about to be turned into an arts center. It's really cool to explore now that it's been emptied. It seems like something Rym would really like to explore.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • This is my hometown.
  • edited November 2007
    This is a bridge you take over a lake downtown. It's a nice walk when the water isn't too low (it gets smelly). When the wife and I were dating we used to walk around the lake (thus this bridge) at night. A lot of hankypanky occurs in the trails off this walking path which puts this in the top-ten sightseeing spots in the city.
    Post edited by cosmicenema on
  • That bridge looks awesome!

My hometown: Tacoma, which is unfortunately known for it's bad aroma because of the paper manufacturing companies and it was hence dubbed "Tacoma Aroma".

However, one of the cool places in Tacoma is the Museum of Glass, which I'm embarrassed to state, I've never been there!

Plus, from other forums posts, this is what I've been stating about seeing Mt. Rainier:
  • edited November 2007
    I lived in San Diego when I was younger. This is from Black's Beach which is a prime surfing spot and a notorious 'clothing optional' beach. I remember hiking up the cliffs around there to the lookout. There were pay-for binoculars ($0.25 a minute) so you could see the naval base and aircraft carriers, surfers, and other Black's beach standard sights which puts this in the top-ten sightseeing spots in the city.

PS: I miss mountains. And cliffs. And hills. And non-flatness in general.
    Post edited by cosmicenema on
    The sign on our Common.
  • edited November 2007
    From when I was born until 5th grade, I lived in Playa Del Rey. The pic I posted in the other thread is where I currently live, which I will not disclose.

Playa Del Rey is basically a town built around the Ballona Wetlands.
    imagePlaya Del Rey is at about center-left. That harbor is Santa Monica Bay, and the channel right above it goes right into the wetlands.

Here's another view in which the wetlands are easier to see.

The wiki for Playa Del Rey sucks -_-
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Monterrey, Mexico:

This mountain pretty much defines what is Monterrey, is called "El cerro de la silla" which means something like The chair mountain. When the Spanish first arrived here they named it like that because it resembled a mounting chair (I'm not really sure if that's the name). Every day I drive to school I see the sun coming up behind it.

When I was a kid I used to love going here, it's basically a church next to an old military fort. The fort is on a small mountain a few miles from downtown Monterrey. Back in the day this was pretty much our only military defense, when the US decided to invade Mexico they pretty much just strolled by and headed straight to Mexico City.

I live kinda of close to the hanging bridge there, the funny story about that bridge is that is a hanging bridge over a river that has no water. Funny, in a kind of waste of my money way.

On the left the main entrance to my college, and on the right the school's stadium where I park everyday. Also the stadium hosts my favorite soccer team in town.
     Sorry for the picture heaviness, but I sure hope you enjoy.
  • edited November 2007
  • Well, I grew up in a Coast Guard family so I never really had a long-term hometown, but:

Gloucester, VA, where I live, has no pictures except one indicating the local fascination with daffodils. I don't know much about it as I just never bothered to learn.

Mathews, VA, where I went to high school and located 10 minutes away, is similarly boring and has no pictures.

Aside from some colonial stuff that's overshadowed by the nearby Yorktown, Jamestown, and Williamsburg, there's not a whole lot to say. I see trees and fields when I go out anywhere and the center of commerce is the local Wal-Mart. On the plus side, if you want to know everyone and have everyone know you, this is that kinda place. I didn't even try and that happened. Also, the year-round weather is like a buffet, a taste of cold and snow in the winter, some hot days in the summer, etc.

I miss the snow and campus of RIT, though, as well as the mountains of western Nevada. Nothing matches either of those here.
  • edited November 2007
    This is my hometown: Skerries (Dublin), Ireland.

But i am currently living and studying in Edinburgh, Scotland. I love it here... such a beautiful city.

Post edited by dutopia on