This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The Writer's guild Strike

edited November 2007 in Politics
Is anyone else paying any attention to the screen-writer's strike? I know Scrym doesn't care, they don't think anything good can come out of Hollywood, but I think it's interesting to see an act of organized labor that is going to effect a large part of the the American population.

Comments

• To tell the truth the only reason I'm keeping up on it is because they're effin with my favorite show Heroes. I support the cause but their cause effed with my favorite show whose season will be cut short because of it. Arrgh!
  • To tell the truth the only reason I'm keeping up on it is because they're effin with my favorite show Heroes. I support the cause but their cause effed with my favorite show whose season will be cut short because of it. Arrgh!
    Have you been watching the show? That show needs a writers strike! Season two has been sucking.
  • Actually, I do care about the screen writer's strike. One of my favorite comic writers Brian K Vaughn, who is also a writer on Lost, has a lot to say about it. Regardless of the strike itself, the less TV work that gets done, the more comic work gets done. As I don't watch TV, and do read comics, I want this strike to last as long as possible.
  • One of my favorite comic writers Brian K Vaughn, who is also a writer on Lost...I did not know that - a tear of joy just came to my eye.
    Have you been watching the show? That show needs a writers strike! Season two has been sucking.
    After last nights episode I have to disagree. I like where things are going withthe exception of Claire's storyline. Based on what has happened now I think that aspect will pick up as well. Plus the revealed boss character has me yelling!
  • You mean Claire's bat-shit "boyfriend" who spent all that time trying to weasel his way into Claire's life and then goes crazy when he finds out who her dad is and accuses her of setting him up?

I knew Kensai would still be alive as soon as they revealed he was a "healer". I also knew Peter would be involved with him because he had been marked with the symbol of the Kensai.

Also, if you look back at the stories of the Kensai it is obvious now that the Dragon in the story is Hiro. At the end Hiro stole the Kensai's heart by kissing his princess.

Another question that now pops up is that if Kensai can survive being blown up and Peter survived going nuclear how do you kill these people? If Sylar had gotten to the cheerleader would she have been dead? Is there a certain particle that has to exist for the person to regenerate from?

What's with all the Star Trek alumni in the show? Am I going to see Shatner or Nimoy in an upcoming episode?
  • Am I going to see Shatner or Nimoy in an upcoming episode?
    I hope so.
  • edited November 2007
    Am I going to see Shatner or Nimoy in an upcoming episode?
    I hope so.
    5 bucks on Nimoy.

Plus I said exception on Claire's storyline. That boyfriend is creepy.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • you know, they had to show reruns of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report last night. It made me sad.
  • you know, they had to show reruns of the Daily Show and the Colbert Report last night. It made me sad.
    So it begins.....
    Stewart has agreed to pay his writers (and Colbert's as well) from his own pocket for the first two weeks of the strike. I very much doubt, therefore, that the strike (which to my knowledge has not started yet) had anything to do with last night's reruns.
  • Stewart has agreed to pay his writers (and Colbert's as well) from his own pocket for the first two weeks of the strike. I very much doubt, therefore, that the strike (which to my knowledge has not started yet) had anything to do with last night's reruns.
    Stewart is paying them not to do the show, but to support the strike.  The show will not be happening until the end of the strike.
  • Yeah, I just did some research and found out that the strike has already started. So a double-dumbass on me. Such are the wages of living outside of primetime hours.
  • 5 bucks on Nimoy.
    Nimoy is probably going to be Sylar's dad. The guy who plays Sylar is going to be Spock in the new Star Trek movie so it's asking to happen.

My biggest fear for the writing strike is that networks will just go all reality shows, talent shows, and reality themed talent shows.

• My biggest fear for the writing strike is that networks will just go all reality shows, talent shows, and reality themed talent shows.
    You shouldn't be watching TV anyway, so what does it matter? If you do need some TV to watch, think of this as an opportunity to go back and watch TV episodes of old shows you've never seen. Also, anime.

• My biggest fear for the writing strike is that networks will just go all reality shows, talent shows, and reality themed talent shows.
    You shouldn't be watching TV anyway, so what does it matter? If you do need some TV to watch, think of this as an opportunity to go back and watch TV episodes of old shows you've never seen. Also, anime.
    True, but there's always that one show you actually will turn on the TV for. 9 out of 10 it's affected by this.

*grumbles about Heroes*
  • edited November 2007
    My dad works for the union, and this whole thing has been making his job a nightmare every day.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • There are quite a few quality TV shows nowadays.
  • Scott's hatred of television shows is a contrived superiority play designed to cash in on anti-populist sentiments among the tech generation. I call shenanigans. He is hating the medium and not content -- the very same thing he decries about comic book haters. Hypocritical.
  • Scott's hatred of television shows is a contrived superiority play designed to cash in on anti-populist sentiments among the tech generation. I call shenanigans. He is hating the medium and not content -- the very same thing he decries about comic book haters. Hypocritical.Oh, snap!
  • You know, primaries are only a few months away. This strike better get fixed before then because I need those late night talk show guys to grill the candidates!!!
  • Scott's hatred of television shows is a contrived superiority play designed to cash in on anti-populist sentiments among the tech generation. I call shenanigans. He is hating the medium and not content -- the very same thing he decries about comic book haters. Hypocritical.
    That's because there's actually something to hate about the medium. In its intended form, it is not time shifted, full of ads, etc. Even the greatest show in the world is not worth watching on TV. Every TV show other than live sports or news is an OAV as far as I'm concerned. Seeing as the Netflix queue is completely full, I could care less if no new DVDs came out for a year or two.
  • In its intended form, it is not time shifted, full of ads, etc.
    That's why I like PBS so much. No commercials, and they play shows multiple times so you can do somewhat of a time shift. The only bad thing is the interminable membership drives.
  • That's because there's actually something to hate about the medium. In its intended form, it is not time shifted, full of ads, etc. Even the greatest show in the world is not worth watching on TV. Every TV show other than live sports or news is an OAV as far as I'm concerned. Seeing as the Netflix queue is completely full, I could care less if no new DVDs came out for a year or two.
    This argument has been moot ever since Tivo came out. Hell, even a MythTV box would suffice.
  • You know, primaries are only a few months away. This strike better get fixed before then because I need those late night talk show guys to grill the candidates!!!Unlikely, I think. Unless the WGA collapses and agrees to be raped on all new media properties along with accepting the pitiful amount that they get right now on DVD, I don't think the Producers are going to come back to the table anytime soon, certainly not until they've started to see a major impact in their profits from just running reality TV and game shows for a few months.
  • In its intended form, it is not time shifted, full of ads, etc.
    Aye, I feel sorry for you Americans. They show some series here, and it's (besides the shows being horrible) too damned obvious in those talkshows. Whenever there is a commercial on the US TV the show part always zooms out over the audience, and then after the commercials zooms back in to the main stage. That happens 3 times at least before we get to see commercials. Why do American broadcast companies dump so many ads in the TV-shows? It's just painful to watch, and thank God I don't watch that bs out of free will.
  • edited November 2007
    It is even worse in prime time shows.

I TiVo the shows I want to watch and it seems like there are more comercial breaks and they are longer! An hour long show on TV can just about fit in a half hour time slot without losing much content.
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • edited November 2007
    In its intended form, it is not time shifted, full of ads, etc.Aye, I feel sorry for you Americans. They show some series here, and it's (besides the shows being horrible) too damned obvious in those talkshows. Whenever there is a commercial on the US TV the show part always zooms out over the audience, and then after the commercials zooms back in to the main stage. That happens 3 times at least before we get to see commercials. Why do American broadcast companies dump so many ads in the TV-shows? It's just painful to watch, and thank God I don't watch that bs out of free will.It's because of the structure of American Media. Americans have never really viewed television or radio as a product, but as an advertising venue (in this respect, almost every mass media venue in the US is like this). They are not broadcasting the TV shows to make good TV, they are trying to broadcasts shows that will draw enough viewers that watch so the advertisers get a return on their investment.

This is probably one of the reasons that ideas such as the OAV haven't truly caught on in this country, because it's not one of the traditional markets. Movies are trying to sell on the strength of the product, but a good portion of the revenues that studios receive from their movie properties is from reselling the movie into other venues such as TV, where money is made from advertising.

The American attitudes toward media would have to undergo a very dramatic structural change to see less commercials in our media. Because our media is designed to sell commercials, always has been. Scott can rail against commercials as much as he'd like, but he's talking about the core of the American system of media, selling something.

And maybe, if DVR's and other time-shifting technologies gain a larger foothold in the US, we might see a change. But I don't think that's going to happen. I think if the American Mass Media moves to a on-demand model, we are going to see advertising in the product in some form or fashion that is going to be hard to ignore or remove.
    Post edited by Pilitus on
  • On the contrary, I think its changed already. DVD sales of TV series are through the roof. There are more and more serial dramas being written for TV with huge season finales, as they make better transition to season boxed sets and Netflix. We are at a point where there is more than enough video entertainment available without ads, even without a DVR, that you never need to watch TV for anything that isn't live sports or news. Sure, this doesn't mean that TV is going to change super soon, give it some more years. What it does mean is that more people, like myself, will abandon broadcast TV and use DVDs and digital video almost exclusively.
  • Scott can rail against commercials as much as he'd like, but he's talking about the core of the American system of media, selling something.Just because something's important doesn't mean it's good. ^_~
    I think if the American Mass Media moves to a on-demand model, we are going to see advertising in the product in some form or fashion that is going to be hard to ignore or remove.Awesome.  People will either accept it or stop watching as they please.  In the case of the former, I'll either get around it or stop watching.  In the case of the latter, the industry will undergo a long-needed realignment to a business model that isn't as patently flawed.