This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Aeron Chair

Comments

• You guys have a piano?

Awesome chairs, the new ones. I can see why you hate the old one(s). XD I have a similar one, though it's young, so it'll be used for years to come.
  • We all had Aeron Chairs on one of my stupid document reviews.

Did they have the old lumbar support, or the new "PostureFit" thingie? The latter makes a world of difference.

Also, did you calibrate the chair properly? The Aeron takes quite a bit of fiddling to get it to work properly. If you set it right, you should feel like you are "floating on air", hence the name. This is why the Freedom chair is the major competitor, you just sit and it works.
    Unlike some people, when I sit in a chair, I simply sit in the chair. There's no fiddling with bits.

The chair is not my son. Heee Heee Heee.
  • I understand Scrym's choice of chairs so well! I would have bought something of the same quality if I could afford it.

I bought my current chair at my first summer job back in 1987. I worked at an office chair factory and learned the value of quality chairs. So at the end of the summer I spent a big part of what I'd earned on a chair from that very factory (at discount, of course!). It has served me well for 20 years, but is now very close to retirement. I was a bit uncomfortable back then "throwing away" my first earnings on something my parents would normally buy for me, but boy, was that money well spent!

I would love to get a mesh seat like on Rym's chair (I also tend to sweat at the back side), but all the ones I have tried so far have almost no support for the lower back. I generally prefer chairs with god support.
  • The Aeron Chair Sucks

I've been thinking about this chair, but the website seems to say that it has some definite problems. As for someone who knows very little about chairs and doesn't know anything about what to look for in a good chair, what would be your defense for the arguments proposed? Even if it's a website that is poking fun rather than explaining some actual problems, the comments seem to show lots of hate towards the chair. However, the comments come from 2003-2004, has the chair changed significantly since then? Really this is the only thing that is holding me back. It's been a year, I would imagine any problems with the chair should have surfaced by now, if you should have any qualms.
  • If you're going to buy a chair, especially an expensive one that you will use for the rest of your life, you should sit in it. Go find a stoer that has aeron chairs, freedom chairs, and all the other fancy office chairs. Sit in all of them and decide which one you want, if any. If you just base your decision on what some people say on web sites, it's not going to turn out for the best.
  • I can say that I haven't had any of the problems mentioned in that "review" of my Aeron. In particular, the last bit about cutting off circulation to the legs shows how poorly thought out it was, as this could only happen if a sitter was using the chair incorrectly.

I'm somewhat considering buying a second one for the office, as I sit there as much as I do at home.
  • as this could only happen if a sitter was using the chair incorrectly.
    That is one important thing. Fancy office chairs require you to sit in them a certain way. Much like fancy cars require you to drive them a certain way.
  • I probably should have read this topic before I went out with my dad to buy a new chair for my room for Christmas. Ended up going home with an official Oakland Raiders leather office chair. It felt pretty good, and has good lower back support.
  • as this could only happen if a sitter was using the chair incorrectly.
    That is one important thing. Fancy office chairs require you to sit in them a certain way. Much like fancy cars require you to drive them a certain way.
    True, once you've gotten used to the chair it's the most comfortable way of sitting I've found so far.
    It's also the first chair, in which I felt comfortable sitting in an upright position with both my feet on the ground.

I don't know, why people are so opposed to the thought of spending money on a chair, even if they use it over a long period of time each and every day and are wealthy enough to afford one. It just makes using computers over a long period of time so much nicer.
  • Looking back on this purchase as I sit in the self-same chair.

Definitely worth it. If you amortize the cost of that chair over the hours my butt has touched it, the butt-hour efficiency per unit comfort is enormous.
  • Rym said:

Looking back on this purchase as I sit in the self-same chair.

Definitely worth it. If you amortize the cost of that chair over the hours my butt has touched it, the butt-hour efficiency per unit comfort is enormous.

Freedom Chair, same.

HOWEVER. The arm rests on the freedom chair have cracked and split open. Not the greatest. Still, with the headrest I still like it slightly more than the Aeron.
  • Having an Aeron at work for the last three years has been an eye-opener. I would gladly pay $1000 to have it at home, and only lack of urgency has put it off this long.
  • Nearly nine years on, and I'm still using the same Aeron chair. No wear, no breakage, still wicked comfortable. And now I sit at the desk more (about 1/3 - 1/2 my day), so I appreciate its 100 comfort even more.

Seriously, these chairs are worth it.
  • It's amazing that the material they make that butt mesh out of never seems to stretch or wear out. It perfectly cups me, providing even support.

Also, ventilation.
  • No lie. I'm heavy, and this thing is just as supportive as it was 9 years ago.
  • Coincidentally my buddy who works at MS was telling me yesterday this company came to the Redmond campus to demo this chair.

Anyone want to jump on that?
  • Same sort of thing except I got the Formway Be task chair, hasn't really degraded at all, just needs the wheels cleaned occasionally.
  • Tempted to buy a new chair after reading this and then looking at my current Staples special which has lasted since 2010 but is wearing to a paltry wafer.

I'm gonna wanna try a place with all of them, but anyone try the Steelcase Gesture? Reviews seem good and I think it looks a damn sight better than the Aeron.
  • I recommend having some sort of mesh or micromesh for at least the backrest if not also the seat.
  • Is this still the best chair?

Are they worth the $$$?
  • Yes, the Aeron chair is still one of the best chairs you can get, although there are other choices. They are still expensive, but can be found at a discount. Look for offices that are closing and such. Also consider that cheap chairs will fall apart and need to be replaced. You buy an expensive chair once, and it lasts forever. Usually has a lifetime warranty also. The armrests on my Freedom chair broke and they sent me all new arms for free.
  • This Aeron chair, in which I am sitting, is still perfect and has no appreciable wear. Just as springy as the day I bought it.

This was one of the best purchases I ever made in my life.
  • Chair recommendations for a very heavy set person approximately 400lbs. Checked the aeron and freedom chairs and both seem to max out at 300lbs.
  • The Herman Miller Embody chair looks worth testing out.
    I have the Formway or Zenith (based on which country you buy it in) Be chair which has the same design aspects that Herman Miller took to make the Mirra 2 chair.

Honestly if I was looking to buy one today I would buy either an Embody or Aeron or buy a standing table.
  • I fucking hate these chairs. My previous company had these, and my new company got them for everyone when we moved offices a few weeks ago. My strategy has been to go to Office Max or some shit and sit in every chair until I find the softest cushiest chair I can find.
  • MATATAT said:

I fucking hate these chairs. My previous company had these, and my new company got them for everyone when we moved offices a few weeks ago. My strategy has been to go to Office Max or some shit and sit in every chair until I find the softest cushiest chair I can find.

Your body is fucked up. Office Max/Staples do not sell a single chair that is good.
  • Dubyaz said:

Chair recommendations for a very heavy set person approximately 400lbs. Checked the aeron and freedom chairs and both seem to max out at 300lbs.

Chairs that support larger people are even more ridiculously expensive. There are quite a few to choose from, but only get one if you never plan to lose weight.
  • edited September 2016
    Apreche said:

MATATAT said:

I fucking hate these chairs. My previous company had these, and my new company got them for everyone when we moved offices a few weeks ago. My strategy has been to go to Office Max or some shit and sit in every chair until I find the softest cushiest chair I can find.

Your body is fucked up. Office Max/Staples do not sell a single chair that is good.
    Haha maybe. The thing I don't like about these chairs is I feel like they don't really let you "lounge". They're really forcing you to sit in them a specific way and have lots of edges that push your body into sitting very specifically. Don't get me wrong, 99% of the chairs they sell at office stores are fucking awful too. I have a chair that I bought in like 2009 that I really need to replace, but it was a great lounging office chair. And it took me quite a bit of looking to find.

I dunno if I'd buy the same chair again, maybe I'd opt to buy something like this if I bought a new chair, but these days if I can I opt to sit on something like a couch. Get my lounge on.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Uh, every fancy chair, including Aeron chair, lets you recline a ton. The Freedom chair I have specifically reclines a fuckton. If the chair pushes you back up when you lean back, you have to adjust the tension.