This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The PSP

edited May 2006 in Video Games
So, after listening to the E3 episode i was slightly annoyed - you sem to be rather misinsformed on the PSP. Let me clarify:

Aproximatley 90% (at a guess) of games can be played muli player over wifi.
While most of these games require each player to have the UMD of the game a few games now do come with a 'Game share' feature. This is where you can have multiple people (up to 8 on most games) playing the same game, over wifi Co-op or vs. And only 1 person needs the game.No lag

I can testify as to the reliablity of this after having 6 people leeching of my friends game of fired up with no lag.
It did eat the battery rather quickly (about 2 hrs of gameplay i guess) That was through a wall, however.

Comments

• Yea, good luck finding 6 people at a event that have one ^_^ haha.. ^_^ (trolling)

Yea, Scott Likes to make statements before he knows exactly what he's talking about.

Seriously though, yea, I'm not sure how many Hours the DS gets when it goes Wireless Multi-player, I just know it's alot shorter then when your not. I guess the problem with the PSP is not many people want to Lug it around a convention because of it's shape and it's value. The DS becasue of it's price, is not a bear if you accidently forget it somewhere (which I do alot, but always recover thankifully.
  • If the PSP has wireless multiplayer with download-play, then how come I have never seen anyone use it? Is it because so few people actually have the system, or is it because the DS wireless play is that much better?
  • I would guess its because of the lack of games with the game share feature, plus its fairly hard to pull off unless you can talk to the person/people you wish to play with before the game. As the psp has no method of letting you know when someone wants to game share. Hopefully a thunderbird like pop up could appear when someone starts a gameshare or wishes to send a file to people.
    I can imagine this wouldn't be too hard to implement in a new firmware update. You just get the psp system to send a wireless signal saying "Hey i want a game" and the other consoles pick it up and run the pop up thingy.
  • RymRym
    edited May 2006
    "Aproximatley 90% (at a guess) of games can be played muli player over wifi.

Just because a game has a feature doesn't mean it works well or is fun. It seems that most of the games for the PSP are much more similar to PS2 games than real mobile games, in that they're not suited to a quick pickup game. Wireless play is useless in the wild if you can't just pop one off and be on your way.

"I would guess its because of the lack of games with the game share feature,"

"most of these games require each player to have the UMD of the game"

THAT'S the point of what we were saying. It doesn't matter what features the system has if they aren't actually -used- by the games. You never see people playing the PSPs socially at conventions and few games have the share feature. Case closed.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • If the battle is going to be over game sharing, I'm assuming they'll include it on all their new games. It's an awesome feature, and my brother and I use it all the time with our PSP's. He'll be downstairs watching TV and I'll be at the PC and we'll be playing Socom, GTA, or Burnout.

Yes, there are fewer PSP's around than DS's, in the East. Here in the Midwest, I find it a little different. Rarely do I see anyone playing a DS in my town. All my friends bought PSP's, and all I hear is trash talk about the DS. Not that I agree with it all, but the PSP seems to have quite a few more capabilities than the DS.

I have a 1GB memory stick, so I watch movies on there all the time at school, by just ripping a DVD and putting it on there. I can put a fair share of my music on there as well. Not only that, but I listen to podcasts on there, especially geeknights. Which is another thing. The thing you hate so much is being used to support your show. Beat that. ; ) Plus, I've got a web browser that works and doesn't require me to stick in a chip every time I use it, with a Flash reader.

Then I have the option of playing a whole bunch of awesome games like I mentioned above. It's not the number of games that matters after all. It's the quality of each game. GTA: Liberty City Stories was fantastic on the PSP, and I still use multiplayer with it. Socom is better than ever on it, and of course, Burnout: Revenge is blazing hot on the PSP. As for new games, they're coming out with Syphon Filter and Gangs of London I believe, and a bunch of other titles this season. As for battery life, I get around 4 to 5 hours, then I charge up again. It's not that difficult.

As for the PSP bashing that happens on the show every other episode it seems like, I don't care. I really think Rym and Scott are missing out on some awesome stuff for the PSP. I can say this because my sis has a DS and I play it quite a bit as well. The only problem with the PSP in my mind is the price. If they could just lower the price to 170 to 200, that would be awesome. And another thing, the PSP isn't failing at all. In fact, the number of PSP's sold has risen quite a bit, so I don't see a problem there.

Question: Have either Rym and Scott ever actually played a game thoroughly on the PSP, or even touched one before?
  • If the battle is going to be over game sharing, I'm assuming they'll include it on all their new games. It's an awesome feature, and my brother and I use it all the time with our PSP's. He'll be downstairs watching TV and I'll be at the PC and we'll be playing Socom, GTA, or Burnout.

Yes, there are fewer PSP's around than DS's, in the East. Here in the Midwest, I find it a little different. Rarely do I see anyone playing a DS in my town. All my friends bought PSP's, and all I hear is trash talk about the DS. Not that I agree with it all, but the PSP seems to have quite a few more capabilities than the DS.

I have a 1GB memory stick, so I watch movies on there all the time at school, by just ripping a DVD and putting it on there. I can put a fair share of my music on there as well. Not only that, but I listen to podcasts on there, especially geeknights. Which is another thing. The thing you hate so much is being used to support your show. Beat that. ; ) Plus, I've got a web browser that works and doesn't require me to stick in a chip every time I use it, with a Flash reader.

Then I have the option of playing a whole bunch of awesome games like I mentioned above. It's not the number of games that matters after all. It's the quality of each game. GTA: Liberty City Stories was fantastic on the PSP, and I still use multiplayer with it. Socom is better than ever on it, and of course, Burnout: Revenge is blazing hot on the PSP. As for new games, they're coming out with Syphon Filter and Gangs of London I believe, and a bunch of other titles this season. As for battery life, I get around 4 to 5 hours, then I charge up again. It's not that difficult.

As for the PSP bashing that happens on the show every other episode it seems like, I don't care. I really think Rym and Scott are missing out on some awesome stuff for the PSP. I can say this because my sis has a DS and I play it quite a bit as well. The only problem with the PSP in my mind is the price. If they could just lower the price to 170 to 200, that would be awesome. And another thing, the PSP isn't failing at all. In fact, the number of PSP's sold has risen quite a bit, so I don't see a problem there.

Question: Have either Rym and Scott ever actually played a game thoroughly on the PSP, or even touched one before?
  • I played one in a store a few times. It was like a little playstation 1 with a shiny screen.
  • RymRym
    edited May 2006
    I tried it in the store several times. The games were standard fare Playstation console games, complete with loading times. It may be a decent console, but it doen't have the community around it that the DS does.

Go to any major convention or geek gathering, and there will be circles of DS players 4-8 wide everywhere. Kotaku reported that they saw massive numbers of DSs at E3, yet not a single PSP. I've had the same experience at every convention I've attended since the DS and PSP were released. If such a large percentage of the games have wireless play, how come you never see them being played at cons?

The DS, by nature, facilitates ad-hoc gaming with whomever happens to be around. You meet a lot of people in short order at any gathering, and you can just pop off a game whenever.

Also, the battery lasts a good 10 hours and recharges quickly. There are no load times whatsoever, and the system automatically suspends if you close it. It's perfect for when you're waiting for something or in a line: you can interrupt your game gracefully at any moment, or start a new one and immediately be in the action.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • RymRym
    edited May 2006
    Oh, and your web browser... I note that the DSs makes use of the two screens and the stylus. I can't imagine the bother of trying to navigate web pages without a stylus/mouse...
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Thats perfectly true, but bear in mind that the psp came with the web browser for free on a firmware update, i realy dont like the fact the Nintenodo are charging for it.

"Just because a game has a feature doesn't mean it works well or is fun"

When i was making that point i was only making you aware of the fact that a large number of these games actually exist, i got the impression from the podcast that you thought there wern't as many.

Also, i find that over in the UK there are far more people with PSPs than with the DS, so it's not hard fiding the people to play with you.