This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Long Podcasts

edited May 2006 in Everything Else
Well, These two are pretty long. I don't know of any others in that length range though.

Comments

• That is terribly long. Podcast distributers should make a limit to how long a show can be, or at least inform a person on the average length of an episode. Not that you can't find out how long an individual show would be.
  • edited May 2006
    For me, a longer podcast--as long as it is good quality--is a better podcast. I don't mind a 3 hour show, Rym and Scott.

EDIT: Rym, you pussy bastard. I'd take a 3 hour podcast!

wuss.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • With iPods, what difference does it make how long something is? You can always go back where you left off.
  • The longest single podcast episode/file I've ever seen is session 36 of the WLD Podcast, clocking in at 4 hours and 22 minutes, and 123 Mb. Sessions tend to average over 3 hours.
  • Hey, if you guys can't upload more than 50 MB files, why don't you just do two podcasts in one night? Does libsyn not like that sort of thing?
  • An hour and a half is how long it takes me to get to uni from home. That long is fine ^_^
  • Well, we've just upgraded our libsyn to 800MB a month. This means two things for you:

I'm upping the quality to 96kbps.
    We can do long/extra episodes very very easily (ftp issues aside).
  • Ok, Rym, I'm going to note that I don't notice the difference whenever you up the quality. I'm no audiophile, but you're just going to take up more space on my hard drive.
  • Wouldn't a podcast twice as long take up more space on your hard drive than a podcast that is 2/3 larger because of the quality Trogdor? As for me, I'm all for longer podcasts. The longer the better is what I say because I usually listen to you guys for about a month and then I usually stop for a month to wait for more episodes. Like I listened to your first 60 podcasts in two weeks, so it's hard for me to tide it over a lot...
  • The difference in file size between 64kbps and 96kbps is almost negligible. It was only an issue due to the fact that we were skirting the bleeding edge of our space allotment on libsyn. Now, we have plenty of wiggle room.

I'd like to switch to stereo and have a little pan, especially when we have guests on the show, but that's for a time far into the future when I upgrade my PC.
  • Couldn't you just have lost a tiny bit of quality for file size? Its not as if you have poor quality allready...
  • The length of the file has far far more to do with the size than the bitrate. 96kbps has advantages that none of you will care about (faster encode for me, no artifact situations to avoid, fewer filters are needed, etc...), and it adds a few megs to the size.

64kbps is great, and people wearing headphones won't be able to tell the difference in most cases, but it has a few issues. Playing GeekNights at volume will make an annoying warbling sound appear, and FM transmitter kits in cars tend to sound pretty bad (depending on the kit). 96 isn't much larger file-wise, but those minor drawbacks disappear.

We did a few episodes in stereo, and it works really well. With a few subtle panning effects, one can create a sense of "space" and make something sound a lot more natural and less like radio. The drawback is that those files were significantly larger (10-20MB) and take substantially longer to handle in post-production. If GeekNights were weekly instead of nightly, we'd probably still be doing that.
  • As for hard drive space, you really don't need to keep GeekNights episodes around. The point of podcasting is that you delete them. If you need a back episode, you can always just download it again.

I've found that a lot of people keep a copy of every podcast they listen to, much like some people saved every webcomic they read early on, or kept the installers of every application they used. Nowadays, the net is reliable enough to leave all of that up on the servers and only download what you need.
  • I'm with Rym. People who hoard files that they will never use again have a problem. I download anime, watch it and then delete it. The only files I really keep around are mp3s because I might listen to them again. Also, due to the nature of bittorrent I can't easily get the same music again because the seeds will be dead. Podcast, which I will never listen to ever again are deleted almost immediately.

I suggest you follow our example or you will be giving a lot of money to Seastore/Maxgate.
  • A whole 20 megs? Oh Noes! ;-)
  • Time is more the issue than space on the stereo episodes. It takes me about an hour to do post-production on a multi-track episode. I record both of us on seperate tracks, work my magic on each seperately, then combine them with panning. Not too difficult, but it pegs my CPU.