This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PS3 sales higher than Wii in Germany

2»

Comments

• Yes, but then that exaggerates the other problem of if being inaccurate, with it I'm really damned if I do and damned if I don't.
    The Wiimote is a relative pointing device like a computer mouse, not an absolutely pointing device like a light gun. Even with a perfect setup, it is not "accurate".
    Are we no longer able to mass produce absolute pointing devices for gaming systems?
  • Are we no longer able to mass produce absolute pointing devices for gaming systems?
    We can mass produce whatever. That's not the issue. The issue is how such a device will work. It can work like the NES Zapper where the screen has to flash every time you shoot. I don't think we want that. It can work with a complicated and expensive sensor array thingy. It can work with a special screen. If you can solve this problem, moneys.
  • I can think of a somewhat expensive system, I think it has been used with holographic keyboards.

You have a frame of lasers (all pointing in from top and left). When you put your finger in the path of a laser and break the beam at least two beams will be broken so a CPU can tell you exactly where your finger is.

I am not sure what would be required to create a pointing device that can shoot a laser at this laser grid and break the beams for the same effect. you could create a special screen that both displays images and has laser sensing mechanics built-in but it would likely be very expensive.
  • Eh, you can shoot off screen with the Wiimote, no? At least, that's what I saw in the Metroid commercials. You can never do that with an absolute pointing device.