This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Awesome Nintendo 64

2»

Comments

• I used to use my palm because I could rotate it much quicker than just with my thumb, leading to giant blisters on my palms.
    Oh, yeah -- THAT'S how you got those blisters.
  • edited November 2007
    While it's a game you will either love or hate, I was really into Aidyn Chronicles: The First Mage. It was one of the only RPG titles available for the N64, so if you're interested in that genre and want to check out an underappreciated segment of N64 history, I suggest trying it. It might not be worth spending time on if you've got a pile of other awesome games, though, or if you aren't a fan of RPGs.

Pros:
    - Cool characters, customizeable party
    - Awesome storytelling and dialogue
    - Interesting and varied environments that are fun to explore
    - Sweet soundtrack, great for setting the mood of the world. The fight music was really addictive to listen to.
    - No loading screens! This was fucking awesome at the time it came out.

Cons:
    - Blocky character models that haven't aged well
    - Slow combat, sometimes a little difficult (this is one of the things about this game that people hate or love. Personally, I liked the battles and the terrain.)

As for other N64 games, I am obliged to mention Ocarina of Time, Perfect Dark, and (like Hitman Hart) Star Wars: Episode One Podracing.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • Ogre Battle 64 is not bad if you like that sort of game. Also, I never played Quest 64, but it was one of the other few RPGs for the 64.
  • I have mixed-feelings on the Podracing game.

It looked on the nice-side (though bland at times) and was a challenging game, but there were times when I felt that the game was too unforgiving in its difficulty. Then again, it might just be because I suck at racing games.
  • edited November 2007
    I have not tried many of the games out, but when I do I will definitely tell you all how good (or most likely how bad) I did at them.

You guys have given me many good games to start with.
    Post edited by blaman327 on
  • Beetle adventure racing, good to waste a few hours.
  • When I was young, it was all about the Goldeneye, the Diddy Kong Racing, and the Episode One Podracing. And fucking around with my friend in San Francisco Rush extreme, but that game was, in retrospect, total shit.
  • I love Beetle Adventure Racing, my friends and I all have fun in the battle mode. Also the races are ridiculously fun because of all the secrets and hidden point boxes.
  • In all honesty, Battletanx, Battletanx: Global Assault, and Gauntlet Legends were pretty terrible games for the N64. However, my brother and I had a lot of fun playing those games back in the day.
  • Rogue Squadron was a far better Star Wars game on the 64 than Episode 1: Podracer. Even Shadow of the Empire was better.

As a matter of fact, I still have Rogue Squadron for the PC. I should drag that sucker out of storage.
  • Just one that I don't think anyone said yet, Kirby & the Crystal Shards is one of my favorite N64 games, next to Start Fox 64 and Smash Bros.

• As a matter of fact, I still have Rogue Squadron for the PC. I should drag that sucker out of storage.
    Roughe Squadron for PC? Blech. The only reason Rouge Squadron is any good is because that's the best that kind of game can be on a console. For the PC you can get X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, or X-Wing Alliance. Why would they even make Rouge Squadron for PC?
  • For the PC you can get X-Wing, TIE Fighter, X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter, or X-Wing Alliance. Why would they even make Rouge Squadron for PC?
    Because none of those other games let you shoot AT-STs.

Also, I rather enjoyed Banjo Kazooie.
  • I have been enjoying Tony Hawk Pro Skater and Bomberman recently, they are fun multiplayer games.
  • What about the X-Wing vs. Tie-Fighter on the PC?

I did some multi-player on that over crap modems and it played fairly well.
  • Mischief Makers.
  • No one's mentioned Pilot Wings. So. Pilot Wings.

And +1 for Smash Brothers, Zelda:OoT and Pokemon Snap.
  • Fucking Pilot Wings owns.

I got my N64 the first week it came out, and I've had the same one since, still in working condition.

Let's list the games I remember enjoying a ton:
    Wave Race
    Mario Kart
    Mario 64
    Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
    Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    Pilot wings
    Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire (My dad and I would play this game a lot)
    Star Fox 64
    Excitebike 64
    and many others that I can't think of right now.

P.S. - I also enjoyed San Fransisco Rush a shit ton. My friend and I would just drive around looking for jumps and secret tunnels.